Old 06-12-2016, 01:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 193
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 706 Times in 463 Posts
Default Bag Tracker

I'm relatively new, not terribly unathletic, and currently a stronger forehand than backhand player. I've never played a tournament, but derive surprising amounts of enjoyment from disc golf, mainly in casual or loner rounds. Here's what I'm carrying in my Innova Deluxe bag:

175 DX Polecat - forehand anny stuff and floaty putts that need to get around stuff or sit
175 Ti Zone - upshots that gotta get stable, and forehand (& overhand) Zone stuff
McPro Aviars x2 - putting duty

175 Z Buzzz - more worn, a nice floaty Buzzz
178 Z (sometimes a BigZ) Buzzz - a more stable one I can crank on
175 Ti FLX Drone - only use it about once a round, but it's there when I need it
175 Z Comet - mainly for forehand and backhand anny upshots; still not terribly confident off the tee
174 Glow Z Meteor - lasers and tunnel shots, though I haven't mastered them; also getting used to hitting some windows using forehand upshots. I'm always surprised how little overlap this disc has with my Comets

175 Star Teebird - still pretty stable; I'm loving this for forehands and of course use it for backhand, though not as straight as I originally wanted it
175 Champ 12x Firebird - forehands that need right finish or skip, backhand spike hyzers, overhands, utility stuff, wind
175 Ti Flick - probably redundant, but this is a little longer than my Firebird for flicks, and for some reason can go much farther for tomahawks
? Z Predator from 2005 - great forehand distance; a little turn; I'm confident with it if there's a gap to hit, a ceiling, etc.

172 Champ Valkyrie - still getting used to it, but definitely get some turn and I see why it came recommended (had an ESP Avenger SS that I lost, so I stuck this "practice disc" in the bag)
175 Champ Tern - good distance and tailwind disc, haven't tried it forehand yet (definitely not as flippy as a Nuke SS that I had, loved, and lost)
? ESP Crank - I'm liking Cranks more and more; this is mainly there now cuz there was room and I like to have practice drivers for loner rounds
174 Z Crank - very nice forehand and backhand; this can go 400 forehand, though not as consistently as I would like; also seems a good backhand disc; definitely not flippy but has a little turn
175 Champ Katana - domey, great glide, but terribly sensitive to wind. I have an interesting relationship with this disc. It's my farthest flier, but also tends to turn a little too much or not enough, sending it to some very bad locations. I can't drop it yet though.
174 Z Nuke - not super new, but it's my meathooks Nuke for skip shots, headwinds, hyzers, etc. (I have a Nuke OS that's not in the bag, cuz this thing is plenty overstable for me currently)

I've noticed I gravitate toward overstable stuff. When your most understable fairway driver is a heavy Star Teebird, is that a problem? I guess I'm still most comfortable with discs I can forehand without worrying about flipping them into oblivion. I also tend to carry higher speed drivers than are probably good for me, mainly because I started with some misprint packs and found the Katana. I have two Surges (ESP and Sparkle Z) and I like them but they haven't kicked out the faster stuff.

Feel free to make any comments. I wish I would have posted this 6-12 months ago, so I could go back and compare my bag.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2016, 03:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 26
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts

You might miss an US fairway if you run into any long tunnel shots. A hyzer flip in this situation is nice, unless you can control the Comet that well for long throws. The Flick, Firebird, and Predator all overlap pretty much. I'd stick to one you like the most and get a backup. Maybe keep the Flick for thumbers.. never have tried those. I use a Firebird.. maybe I'll have to give one of those a go as well some time.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-13-2016, 04:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Thanks. I'm considering all that, for sure. I've been thinking about a Leopard or Patriot for that US fairway. Right now, I'm surviving with the Meteor, but could certainly use some more distance. I had a well-used DX Leopard but my wife has commandeered it for now, and it was a bit flippy for me anyway.

I could probably kick the Flick and not feel its absence. But it does make a nice overhand disc, and I've gotten used to it on a couple holes at courses I play regularly. The Predator/Firebird combo has become a big part of my game, though I'll have to figure something out eventually when I lose or break the Predator.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:42 PM
* Ace Member *

UPDATE:
*My bag is still pretty fluid and I switch some spots depending on the course, but here it is at present.*

McPro Aviar - putts, and getting some approach duty too
DX Polecat (178) - touch stuff (FH & BH), just nothing off the tee
Opto Pure (174) - still messing with this, but it's my main "off the tee" putter and gets used for a few approaches too
Ti Zone (173) - overstable putter stuff; its role hasn't really changed

Z Buzzz (174) - getting lots more forehand use now; great for straight 200' shots and also forehand turnovers, and I use it for standard Buzzz backhands too
Ti FLX Drone (175) - doesn't get used every round, but I love it for backhands that need to dump and not skip
Z Comet (175) - occasional backhand tee shots, also some floaty upshots

Neutron Relay (174) - understable fairway duties, perfect for some woodsy shots, though I still miss my line more often than not; all kinds of potential here! (it's the only disc I DON"T forehand, though I should give that more of a chance)
Star Teebird (175) - fairly overstable, fights out of flex shots well when I need it to
Champ Firebird (175) - overhands, skip shots
Z Predator (?) - this thing is starting to get too worn in for my forehand, but it now works great for backhands

Star Beast (175) - likes to go straight, and doesn't turn as much as I expected. I had tried some DX Beasts and had no respect for the mold, but star has earned a spot in my bag
ESP Surge (173) - a nice domey one, works great with a mild hyzer or flat release
Star Wraith (175) - just started trying this out; already used; I expected it to feel more like the Surge, but the rim is noticeably wider. It seems to turn over more easily and likes to stay low, so it's earned a spot for now.
C-line PD (165) - not sure if I like this, but it's been fun to try; works great FH&BH as a flex shot; my main hyzer disc right now
Champ Tern (175) - tailwind drives or hyzerflips
Z Crank (173) - max D forehands, and works for backhands into a mild headwind
Champ Katana (172) - kinda the flavor of the month; this has some serious low speed overstability but significant turn early; I'm kinda just trying to beat it up and see how it turns out
Z Nuke (173) - my most overstable driver and headwind disc, great for forehand skips

Adding the Relay has been good, though I still miss my lines more than I hit them. But having that hyzerflip to turnover shot is very useful in many situations. I also realized that my Buzzz doesn't go as far as I thought it did. So I've been using it for more forehands as well as backhands that I'm comfortable with. My Pure also gets some of the shots that my Buzzz used to.

As my backhand game has continued to improve, I'm noticing more use for these 10-11 speed drivers with some turn. My Tern gets primarily backhand use, and my speed 13 stuff mostly gets used for forehands or headwinds. Right now I'm still playing with my drivers, so I'm sure this part of my bag will change a lot in the near future. Other discs I've used include a champ Valkyrie and ESP Avenger SS, and I've got some other discs lying around. Any comments about overlap and some slots I might benefit from filling?
Old 09-28-2016, 08:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 163
Niced 1,183 Times in 583 Posts

Get rid of everything faster than the PD and Beast (and put that Valk back in) and you're golden for a long time.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrboy View Post
Get rid of everything faster than the PD and Beast (and put that Valk back in) and you're golden for a long time.
But it's so hard to ditch the high speed stuff for forehands! If I got rid of all the 11-13s, I'd probably just miss the Crank (and occasionally the Nuke) for their forehand utility. The PD still feels funny with my forehand grip, but maybe I just need to give it time.

Also, maybe I just need a smaller bag so I won't be tempted to carry so many drivers...
Old 09-28-2016, 09:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 163
Niced 1,183 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Also, maybe I just need a smaller bag so I won't be tempted to carry so many drivers...
Or stuff more putters in there and spend more time practicing your upshots.

Seriously, best favor I ever did my game was dropping everything faster than a Firebird wing (Firebirds, PDs, OLFs and their less overstable brothers) for a year. And learning to throw putters better and farther.

Even now, I only carry two Star Destroyers, and they do not see that much time in the air. Seriously, lose them for a month and compare your scores before and after. I bet you score better if you can bring yourself to slow down and play smarter golf.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:48 AM
* Ace Member *

UPDATE again:

Putters are same (McPros, Zone, Pure, Polecat)

Mids are same (Buzzz, Comet, Drone)
-however, I'm using the Drone less. There are still a couple spots where I really like it, especially in windy approaches.

Fairways:
-175 Champ Leopard (I lost my Relay. This doesn't really replace it, but I'm expecting this to keep getting more beautiful as time goes on.
-175 Star Teebird (still fairly overstable; I like this thing for flex shots, hyzers... OS Teebird stuff...)
-175 Champion Firebird (skips, headwinds, overhands... it's losing some beef, but still getting the job done)
-174 Z Undertaker (straight forehands with some bite at the end, backhand hyzerflips or even some right-turning backhand turnovers)
-175 Champion Thunderbird (recently hopped in because I lost my old Predator/Tsunami; not much overlap with the Undertaker, as far as I can tell; we'll see how long it stays in the bag)

Drivers:
-172 Champ Valkyrie (flippier than the Star that I have, but works quite well for tailwind backhands and some interesting high forehand hyzerflip lines)
-175 Star Valk (very nice straight flyer and gets some forehand and backhand use)
-175 Star Beast (not the same one I had before, but good for backhand and forehand hyzers that flip up, glide like crazy, and then fade again - still pretty new)
-174 ESP Surge (my backhand disc of choice in slight to moderate headwinds, also good for some straight to fade backhands; I've hit some beautiful forehand hyzers with it too)

-175 Champ Tern (tailwinds, flat backhand distance)
-172 Champ Katana (this had been out of the bag for a while, but I lost that Z Crank that I had, so this is the replacement; not flippy at all, with some LSS; I use it exclusively forehand)
-173 Z Nuke (same disc as before; quite OS though getting a little more beat up now; forehand distance shots that need to skip, headwinds, some hyzers)

Some of these are more of a "flavor of the month," especially the Katana and Thunderbird. They've worked for a few rounds, though. I probably should put another mid or putter in the bag instead, but there's the bag as it stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
Or stuff more putters in there and spend more time practicing your upshots.

Seriously, best favor I ever did my game was dropping everything faster than a Firebird wing (Firebirds, PDs, OLFs and their less overstable brothers) for a year. And learning to throw putters better and farther.

Even now, I only carry two Star Destroyers, and they do not see that much time in the air. Seriously, lose them for a month and compare your scores before and after. I bet you score better if you can bring yourself to slow down and play smarter golf.
I guess I could still benefit from this advice. Sadly, I don't play enough to do a real good score comparison... I still don't click with putters for drives, but at least I backed off on drivers a bit for backhand (except for my Tern...oops). Even that Beast is more for forehand hyzerflips, with only occasional backhand use. Nevertheless, I'm feeling the call of the putter (and the one leg drill) and will be spending some more time on field work.

Last edited by armiller; 05-18-2017 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Forgot the Tern...
Old 08-05-2018, 10:33 PM
* Ace Member *

First Tournament Bag. Played from Moraine gold tees. Muy technical, without many places to open up.

In my Upper Park Designs Shift:

KC Pro Aviar for putts
Plasma Ion for a little straighter putter shots
DX Polecat for that Polecat stuff
Ti Zone

Z Comet - some nice forehand anny shots and some technical backhands
Z Buzzz of the slightly beaten variety, especially good at touch forehand turnovers
Big Z Buzzz with a bit more beef

Neutron Relay - only a few throws but got me a nice par 4 birdie and a par save
Luster champion Leopard3 (Gibson) got a lot of air time and didn't let me down
Star Teebird
Z Undertaker
Champ Thunderbird
Champ Firebird

Star Beast
Champ Tern (one round replaced with Shryke) - really didn't need these
ESP Surge (comfortable with this one for downhill shots that need to fade)
Champ Katana - also didn't really need
Z Nuke - some use in headwind downhill situations (threw it once)

I wasn't missing anything. I probably could have taken out the Tern (my Leo3 was doing the job just fine in the woods) and thrown in something else, but I don't know what. All in all it was a good tournament experience, and I'm glad I knew my discs.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 18
Niced 193 Times in 114 Posts

I really wanted to get out to the pfdo this weekend to watch, how'd you fare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk