Old 09-19-2017, 12:24 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts
Question Wheelchair Friendly disc golf courses in Atlanta, GA?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to play my first real round of disc golf (super excited!), but as of yet have been unable to find any info on which courses here in Atlanta, Georgia are the most friendly to people who use wheelchairs, like myself.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 98 Times in 60 Posts

Just curious, but what kind of wheelchair do you have? I mean, what kind of terrain is off limits? One of the things I love about disc golf is all the different kinds of people you see playing it. Unfortunately, I will admit that wheelchair accessibility is one area where the sport has lots of room for improvement. If you can handle flat grassy areas, I'm sure there's some of those courses out there. Other than that, it can get tough to find something. I do feel like in areas with 10+ courses, there isn't much of an excuse to not have at least one or two courses that are more accessible (providing the area actually has some flat land).
Old 09-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
Just curious, but what kind of wheelchair do you have? I mean, what kind of terrain is off limits? One of the things I love about disc golf is all the different kinds of people you see playing it. Unfortunately, I will admit that wheelchair accessibility is one area where the sport has lots of room for improvement. If you can handle flat grassy areas, I'm sure there's some of those courses out there. Other than that, it can get tough to find something. I do feel like in areas with 10+ courses, there isn't much of an excuse to not have at least one or two courses that are more accessible (providing the area actually has some flat land).
My wheelchair is an Invacare Ranger X, so grassy areas are OK (it's powered). However, depending on grass height, that can be an issue.

Most other terrain I have no problems with either, but your response is exactly why I started this thread. I do agree that the sport of disc golf has great room for improvement in terms of accessibility for those who may use mobility devices such as wheelchairs.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 120
Niced 98 Times in 60 Posts

It's tough to say without having played the area myself, but found a few that might be possible. Village Green https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=588, Euharlee Elementary School https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8360, and the private Legacy Park https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5422. From the pictures, they look mostly flat and free of obstacles in the fairway. You'd probably need someone else to get your disc if it goes in the brush off the fairway (which happens at some point to all of us ), but they might be worth checking out.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 12
Niced 57 Times in 26 Posts

OP. That's gotta be exciting to look forward to your first round.

Have you thrown in the past or.... what's the deal? You just gonna go out cold and throw?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifocal View Post
OP. That's gotta be exciting to look forward to your first round.

Have you thrown in the past or.... what's the deal? You just gonna go out cold and throw?
Yes, trifocal, this will be my first real round. I only got really into the sport over the summer (my cousin had been playing for a couple of year and he wanted me to try it).

So yes, as you put it, I will most likely be going out cold and throwing.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 12
Niced 57 Times in 26 Posts

You've said first real round a couple times. Makes me wonder bout stuff.

Have you thrown Frisbees or golf discs at all?
I'm secretly hoping you're a prodigy that throws 500 feet from a sitting position.

lol.... thinking bout all the DGCR experts offering advice to a guy throwing from a chair.

I wish you the best, JBC. This is awesome for you.
I'm thinking that maybe you might have an umbrella fixture installed on your chair and then you could
play in the shade.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 179
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I would say Lenora Park is pretty wheelchair friendly. No bridges or downed trees, and it's mostly open (grass). Gwinnett County does a pretty good job on course maintenance. Alexander Park isn't too bad. There is one walkway over a ravine (Hole 7) but you can go around it and other than that its pretty good.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifocal View Post
You've said first real round a couple times. Makes me wonder bout stuff.

Have you thrown Frisbees or golf discs at all?
I'm secretly hoping you're a prodigy that throws 500 feet from a sitting position.

lol.... thinking bout all the DGCR experts offering advice to a guy throwing from a chair.

I wish you the best, JBC. This is awesome for you.
I'm thinking that maybe you might have an umbrella fixture installed on your chair and then you could
play in the shade.
Yeah....good observation.

While it is true that this is my first time throwing golf discs, I am very familiar with a Frisbee's flight dynamics. Perhaps a better phrasing would have "my first real 18-hole round" because I've thrown a couple of short practice rounds.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,633 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damtroll View Post
I would say Lenora Park is pretty wheelchair friendly. No bridges or downed trees, and it's mostly open (grass). Gwinnett County does a pretty good job on course maintenance. Alexander Park isn't too bad. There is one walkway over a ravine (Hole 7) but you can go around it and other than that its pretty good.
Yes, Lenora immediately came to my mind, though I haven't been there in years. I remember it as wide open, well-cut grass, gentle elevation....though school courses would likely be shorter, and perhaps a better place to start.

Niced: (2)