Old 10-15-2019, 07:43 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 285 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Having spectators witness his play
Nobody is spectating his play.

I don't have an opinion either way on this rule, but I think it would be nice if Nate would give an explanation on why he felt it was necessary.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-15-2019, 08:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 50 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
The guy is on some unexplained ego trip. Should have been stopped long ago IMO. Having spectators witness his play in conjunction with the top pros, is a black mark on the sport and shows the governing body doesn't take competition seriously as long it gets it's money.
Yeah it's almost embarrassing as spectators watching some Discmania sponsored douche who everyone says is the future of the sport break his hand punching the ground at the USDGC.

Niced: (4)
Old 10-15-2019, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,446 Times in 1,862 Posts

Man some people take this whole frisbee throwing thing WAY too seriously.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 356 Times in 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Why?

Still waiting for a valid answer to that question. Why is it needed? Or more so, why is it needed now?

It's not a pace of play thing because, as proponents are saying, it's not a significant number of people who are now barred from these events. Cutting out one or two players per event isn't going to speed things up noticeably.

It's not a supply/demand issue, as none of these events are turning away more skilled players because these under-skilled players are signing up.

It's not a professionalism/image thing because if it were, why hasn't a similar floor been imposed on FPO? Why is MPO's image of "professionalism" more important than FPO?

I'm not against this because I'm an advocate of Lloyd Weema or any other sub-900 rated player. I fully believe that someday we're going to get to a point in the game's growth where restricting the highest level events will be necessary. I just don't think we're anywhere close to that point yet, and like I keep saying, doing it now is putting the cart before the horse.
How about this theory: The PDGA was worried that fan voting was going to get Weema on a 1st round filmed card in a "high profile" event.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 160
Niced 147 Times in 44 Posts

I am on a plane waiting to leave Augusta so I can try to explain more later. But I will say that there were several touring players in the room that spoke heavily in favor of this change. In addition the touring pros in the room literally applauded the vote as soon as the roll call was announced. This is a move to make things more professional for our touring players and this was supported by PDGA staff and the BOD. This:

-Avoids situations where touring players play with novice rated players who throw shots that slow down the group enough to cause touring pros to lose focus. Imagine a wooded course such as WR Jackson and an 850 rated player playing that course. The group would spend considerable time looking for discs in the woods.
-Avoids situations where lower rated players are playing courses simply not suitable for their talent level. For example, a sub 900 rated player most likely cannot carry the water on several shots at Eureka. The same could be said for Fountain Hills Hole #1.
-Makes sure that people who can compete to cash in these events are allowed to play. Let's not forget that several Elite events fill up every year (Ledgestone, Idlewild, BSF, Santa Cruz, GBO, etc)

The last point is probably the most important. Many top level events are now filling up and some of them fill up months in advance. Having sub 900 rated players take the spots of touring pros is not acceptable. Yes, there is tiered registration. Sometimes touring pros simply don't have the money to pay for the entry at that time. This gives a few more opportunities to avoid those situations.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 2
Niced 456 Times in 330 Posts

I feel that a floor of 870 would be more appropriate as that is 100 points below the standard for Open.

Coincidentally I'm now 871 rated.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:11 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts

^ All points are obvious. This decision was a no brainer.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 791 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Well... in that case, he can show up to most Ctiers around the country and play Rec for awhile.
Ouch

Old 10-15-2019, 10:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 403 Times in 162 Posts

I just think this is evidence that the PDGA can’t decide if it represents all of its members or just the tip of the iceberg. I support players doing what they think is best for their Tour but is it “their” Tour? The desire for a bunch of (or maybe a few) people outside the players to make the sport more professional is an inevitable thing but does not interest me at all. I guess the thinking is that professional = more $$$$ to go around to those with a stake.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,100 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
I am on a plane waiting to leave Augusta so I can try to explain more later. But I will say that there were several touring players in the room that spoke heavily in favor of this change. In addition the touring pros in the room literally applauded the vote as soon as the roll call was announced. This is a move to make things more professional for our touring players and this was supported by PDGA staff and the BOD. This:

-Avoids situations where touring players play with novice rated players who throw shots that slow down the group enough to cause touring pros to lose focus. Imagine a wooded course such as WR Jackson and an 850 rated player playing that course. The group would spend considerable time looking for discs in the woods.
-Avoids situations where lower rated players are playing courses simply not suitable for their talent level. For example, a sub 900 rated player most likely cannot carry the water on several shots at Eureka. The same could be said for Fountain Hills Hole #1.
-Makes sure that people who can compete to cash in these events are allowed to play. Let's not forget that several Elite events fill up every year (Ledgestone, Idlewild, BSF, Santa Cruz, GBO, etc)

The last point is probably the most important. Many top level events are now filling up and some of them fill up months in advance. Having sub 900 rated players take the spots of touring pros is not acceptable. Yes, there is tiered registration. Sometimes touring pros simply don't have the money to pay for the entry at that time. This gives a few more opportunities to avoid those situations.
if players lose focus thats on them

lay up or take a penalty

also ive played with throwers who bomb 600 but cant hit a fairway to save their life

looking in the **** at 300 ish ft is much easier than at 600 ish ft

wait is this about power or rating or what is this really about again

Niced: (3)