Old 12-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Jason's ITB 2019

I know that we are still half a month away from 2019 but wanted to get some help with my bag as i have a problem deciding what mids to go with.

A little bit about me.

Have been playing Disc Golf for 2 seasons.

Max distance is 325 - 330 feet

Listed below is not technically what I currently bag but is what i own and need to decide which mid line up to go with.

Putters
Blend Deputy: Putting Putter
DX Aviar3: Stable to OS throwing putter
Blend Pure: Straight to US throwing putter till a DX Aviar3 gets beat enough

Mids
173 Beat Yellow Roc Flips to flat dead straight with a forward fading finish
Beat Purple Roc Flip to flat and drifts to the right finishes straight
176 Pink bottom stamp flips to flat with a straight to stable finish
171 DX Roc new fresh roc duties
170-72 blue x comet dead straight
Max weight pink x comet tight s flight finishes straight
2018 mj comet flips to flat late drift to the right
2019 mj comet straight to stable
168 new excel ghost dead straight with forward fading finish
179 new gravity ghost same as the 171 new dx Roc

Fairway Drivers
166 new excel patriot dead straight finishes on the stable side
166 somewhat seasoned icon patriot drifts to the right but finishes straight
175 Beat up DX Teebird drifts to the right starts coming back but still finishes on the US side
171 DX Teebird straight to stable
175 new DX Teebird straight with good amount of LSS
166 new Star Teebird OS Teebird

My question is for the mids should I go with an all Roc lineup or do I go with the Ghost / Comet Lineup.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Par Member

Niced 119 Times in 79 Posts

You’ll hear people say that having one mold cover more shots is better. Others carry multiple molds for multiple shots. I tend to lean the less molds way, but if you really vibe with the comet or ghost and reach for them a lot I would say go that route. All about personal comfort.

I will say you’re correct in thinking that you only need to pare that section of the bag down.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethamphetamine View Post
You’ll hear people say that having one mold cover more shots is better. Others carry multiple molds for multiple shots. I tend to lean the less molds way, but if you really vibe with the comet or ghost and reach for them a lot I would say go that route. All about personal comfort.

I will say you’re correct in thinking that you only need to pare that section of the bag down.
I do not bag all those mids. I was bagging Ghosts and Comets as i did not have any beat up Rocs or beat up ghosts but the other day I was at a local store and found the 3 beat up rocs that are listed. I guess i could go Rocs and if i lose one in the cycle can add a comet in. Rocs are easier to find the ghosts

Old 12-13-2019, 11:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 145 Times in 106 Posts

I'm not a true cycler, but this is how I'd build your midrange section. I think you need to find your favorite. Maybe you already know which one that is. I choose a nice middle stability but its kinda personal preference. Something that can be a workhorse for you. Probably something that you can throw on a variety of lines, trust to hit gaps with, maybe something straight with a reliable finish. Make that the centerpiece. If necessary, take them all out to your local course, find a hole you want to throw midrange on and throw them all. Once you make your selection, stick to it unless its really lacking and then find one that will do what you want.

Then play some rounds with just that one disc as your only midrange. Try to make that disc do everything you want a midrange to do. Go out of your way to throw this disc and build rapport with it. Use it on second shots, use it for shots you normally wouldn't/try new things. Just figure it out and what it can do for your game. Then you'll find find what it can't do. If you find you need something else, then figure out which of your other midranges can fill that hole the best.

Rocs, comets and ghosts are all pretty similar as far as I understand. I think you could make them into a "cycle" with what you have. I personally throw just one workhorse midrange. My second mid is slightly more overstable than that that, something I can rely on in the wind and to fade out reliably. That one I prefer in premium plastic so that it can hold that more overstable spot. Some people like understable midranges for anhyzers. I personally throw forehand on those routes. Other people like to have a really overstable midrange, but I'm throwing a Champ Firebird midrange distance anyway, so I don't need a disc for that role either.