Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 256
Niced 48 Times in 27 Posts

here are related threds that may give some more information on this topic.
Wheelchair golf
Course design for individuals with disabilities
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I really like this idea. Might have to bring it up to one of my buddies who works with the disabled.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 89
Niced 42 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The PDGA already allows more physically challenged players to compete in the same division as those less physically challenged simply based on their overall skill/rating. For example, we have a one legged player in Minnesota and another GM player with poor eyesight played in Am Worlds for several years with his nephew providing a line using his voice. These players compete under the same course rules as others in their division.

I don't see any sport making rule accommodations for some people and not others competing in the same division other than score handicaps which can be established in advance (i.e. USDGC 2011). The spectrum of physical challenges each player might present would make this difficult to judge for TDs (Bobby isn't challenged enough to get the special relief rules but Billy does get to use them). However, I'm suggesting that having special rules for a division where everyone is say wheelchair bound would be possible and more fair.
I wasn't suggesting that only some players in the division would get to use the relief rule. Basically, it could just be a division with special relief rules and a special layout that is open to everyone. If three players identify 6+ consecutive holes on a course that they would like to play by the relief rule, a separate division could be formed. Since it is a different layout, and evryone is playing by the same rules, the ratings could be calculated if there are enough propagators.

The only problem is if the TD wants to insert a temp hole that would not be accessible, and would make the hole sequence no longer consecutive. That would potentially create a problem for the TD trying to ghost that group in on the layout he created for the other divisions. Similarly, if the TD is planning a different sequence, there could be an issue.

I would think a TD ought not to be required to allow the division to play a layout that has a different sequence than he planned, or required to play the division through on the 6 or so holes more than once in a round, but he or she should be permitted to allow those things at his or her option. The only time I'm thinking a TD ought to have to allow the division is if they have 6+ consecutive holes that match the layout planned for the tournament.

Of course, a wheelchari user could play in a division and take optional retrows as needed without the special relief rule, but the problem is accessibility of the layout. That's the main thing, is mandating that an accessible layout be provided for a division when reasonable, and the hole order does not conflict with the other tournament layouts.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts

Barfield in Murfreesboro, TN has a course where 9 of the 18 holes are designed for wheelchairs. There is a sidewalk along the fairway which circles around the basket.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 137
Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
There's a course in Mississippi that was designed to be handicap accessible. There are paths to all tees and pins, and most of the holes have nice short grass and gentle slopes so you could navigate them pretty well on wheels. They also have bells on top of each pin to ring for deaf people.
I've played there and it's a nice little course very good for any type of handicap or just small children. Fun to play as an Ace run for better players.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 184
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

As a thread side note;

My 19 year old son, Ryan has been playing disc golf for years. Ryan has Trisomy 21 (typically called Down Syndrome) He struggles with low muscle tone, balance and the occasional moment of indiscretion, but all in all--- is a fun disc golfer to play with.

Like Chuck said, the built in handicap system kicks in after a few PDGA events. I think Ryan now has a whopping rating of 508. He plays in Novice if it is available, Rec if not. He always wins the MGFTM award. (most golf for the money)

For tournament golf we usually look for an event that has a set of shorter tees and the only accommodation we seek is that he is on a jerk-free card. He has 4 tournaments under his belt; a pair of one-days and a pair of 2-days. And he is my partner every week for doubles.

And being reasonably self-aware --- he's not much for labels, but he says you can call him "Ladies Man".

Ron

Last edited by Rondpitt; 07-12-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:36 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Formation: Wheelchair Rules for Disc Golf

The Bowman Disc Golf Association is currently developing "Recreational Rules of Wheelchair Disc Golf" (RWD). The RWD project will go Public early in 2014; the rules, however, are being accelerated to see a first printing copyright in 2013.

Disc Golf is virtually silent when it comes to wheelchair play. We intend to change that in this first-ever effort to broaden disc golf player accessibility.

Based on current recreational rules of play the RWD includes:

✔︎ a provision (and guidelines) for Caddies
✔︎ allowance of throwing devices (e.g., the FolfClub),
✔︎ redefine hazardous lies

...and other player-enabling enhancements.

If you have any interest in the RWD Project lets further the conversation at BowmanDiscGolf@Wildblue.net.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 68 Times in 54 Posts

It's great people are trying to make the sport more accessible.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:42 PM
*Reform School Scholar*

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

My sons afterschool teacher loves the game and is wheelchair bound. this is great news. problem around here is most courses are very hilly and have lots of obstacles in the ground.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:31 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 184 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazzara55 View Post
The Bowman Disc Golf Association is currently developing "Recreational Rules of Wheelchair Disc Golf" (RWD). The RWD project will go Public early in 2014; the rules, however, are being accelerated to see a first printing copyright in 2013.

Disc Golf is virtually silent when it comes to wheelchair play. We intend to change that in this first-ever effort to broaden disc golf player accessibility.

Based on current recreational rules of play the RWD includes:

✔︎ a provision (and guidelines) for Caddies
✔︎ allowance of throwing devices (e.g., the FolfClub),
✔︎ redefine hazardous lies

...and other player-enabling enhancements.

If you have any interest in the RWD Project lets further the conversation at BowmanDiscGolf@Wildblue.net.