Old 02-08-2019, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,410 Times in 1,539 Posts

Yeah, first one is more rotatey. Second has more smashing counterbalance. I think you are missing a bit more of a lateral move onto the plant, even when you watch SW's one leg video he does have some visible lateral movement to get over the right leg. Also that slight pause you have at max backswing can make some of those feelings and shifts difficult.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2019, 02:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,426 Times in 1,513 Posts

Yeah and you are setting up with your head turned away from the target. This does weird things to balance and sequence. Your head/body need to turn away from the target in the backswing with the arm/disc.

Not a fan of the towel, it can't be leveraged forward like a solid object/disc, and relies on fast arm speed. Slow everything down to almost slow motion, leverage the head of the hammer or stick from behind your hand to in front of it at the very end with slow arm speed.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:32 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 21 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Yeah, first one is more rotatey. Second has more smashing counterbalance. I think you are missing a bit more of a lateral move onto the plant, even when you watch SW's one leg video he does have some visible lateral movement to get over the right leg. Also that slight pause you have at max backswing can make some of those feelings and shifts difficult.
How do you make that lateral move? My swing feels terrible, unnatural and powerless if I try to push myself laterally towards the target. Best feeling is always when the shift just happens naturally along the swing.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yeah and you are setting up with your head turned away from the target. This does weird things to balance and sequence. Your head/body need to turn away from the target in the backswing with the arm/disc.

Not a fan of the towel, it can't be leveraged forward like a solid object/disc, and relies on fast arm speed. Slow everything down to almost slow motion, leverage the head of the hammer or stick from behind your hand to in front of it at the very end with slow arm speed.
Yeah, I get it. Easier to feel the rhythm and secuence when everything turns/swings together. My swing still feels way too mechanic, alot of work left.

The towel is the tool of choice just for safety reasons. Cannot practice outdoors and no safe place to swing with hammers and discs. I think the towel is an ok indicator for mechanics. At least it tells me immediately when the sequence is really off. I really have to start the move with my hips and let the arm lag for the towel to really pop . Idont know how well it translates to throwing discs though.

Last edited by ALT-J; 02-11-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-J View Post
How do you make that lateral move? My swing feels terrible, unnatural and powerless if I try to push myself laterally towards the target. Best feeling is always when the shift just happens naturally along the swing.
It should happen as you are turned back from the backswing, when your butt is already near to the target. Try this out. Notice how at the beginning on the right leg he is balanced a few inches before the can. In backswing he HAS to be balanced on the rear leg because it is higher off the ground. Then in forward swing he has shifted forward to over/on the can.

https://youtu.be/BuvujcEMLxs?t=198
Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 309 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-J View Post
Yeah, you can't force it and it's not a push.

Check out Sidewinder's post #35 in "Kinetic Sequence" thread in technique section. That's your answer! It's a byproduct of crushing the can on rear leg in the backswing (just don't let it get to flat footed; maintain plantar flexion) ... you're loading up and then 'the stored elastic energy' springs you forward, laterally. I just learned this too and I'm confident it'll be a gamechanger.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...=133319&page=4

Try Riding the Bull:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0&t=74s
Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
It should happen as you are turned back from the backswing, when your butt is already near to the target. Try this out. Notice how at the beginning on the right leg he is balanced a few inches before the can. In backswing he HAS to be balanced on the rear leg because it is higher off the ground. Then in forward swing he has shifted forward to over/on the can.

https://youtu.be/BuvujcEMLxs?t=198
Thanks man! It seems like I have been doing it the other way around. Pushing off the rear leg thats lower or same level to the plant foot. This sort of explains why I have always had different kind of power level on pure hyzers and annies. The lower rear hip and push up could work on those. Anyways I put a book under my rear leg and the swing felt more powerful immmediately. Almost impossible to start it without crushing the can! Now I have to figure out how to do it without the book.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:57 AM
Bogey Member

Red face

Progressing slowly with the concept of dropping the weight/deweighting the left left leg. Had a couple of easiest feeling 250 putter shots ever in the snow. Also modified my grip from terrible to a bit less terrible. It is mindblowing how small body movements are needed to leverage the disc compared to just swinging with poor balance. Its also very hard to use your whole weight in the icy hard snow even with spikes on. My body just dont let me.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Yeah bad footing makes it real hard. But easy leverage even with untrustworthy ground is definitely a good sign. Also it'll prevent you from going way too fast/too much power since balance and not slipping is most important.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Bogey Member

Wink

Quote:
Yeah bad footing makes it real hard. But easy leverage even with untrustworthy ground is definitely a good sign. Also it'll prevent you from going way too fast/too much power since balance and not slipping is most important.
Yeah and whats good I can focus on sort of falling throw and ignore shifting my weight consciously. My older posts are full of that. How can I get my weight on the left leg? I tried all sorts of weird moves... Thats been a really hard thing to undo. But now it seems its only just rising up on toes as I turn my hips and just fall on my heel. A small move but those best shots felt great. One thing I also notice now that I always had to do the loading and throwing motion really fast. Rhe set up can be much slower now and I think thats a good sign.