Old 04-15-2019, 04:20 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmitch008 View Post
After another week of throwing these (rhbh throws), I'm not getting the overstability others are experiencing. The slightly domey one I have holds long flex lines coming out just at the end, and the flat one flips up and rides right before finishing almost center. It actually turned into a throwler when thown hyzer in a 15-20mph headwind. I didn't give it enough airspace, but regardless it wouldn't have fought out. My z Force flexed out of the same wind thrown with a slight anhyzer. I find the Force and Kong do not overlap at all, flying different lines.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Swapped out the Destroyers for Kongs 3 weeks ago and have been really enjoying the switch. I'm not seeing the crazy overstability that everyone else is seeing either. I got a stack of about 10 Kongs with varying levels of dome, and all fly pretty similar for me (RHBH). They flip up and drift a for a little before having a fairly forward fade around 450'. No where near the stability of a Force, which wants to start dumping out at 420-430'.

Kongs bomb
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-18-2019, 09:43 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 56 Times in 33 Posts

Just finished a field session with three different Kongs. One flat, one with slight dome and one pop top.

Dome definitely dictated stability one these. More dome = more overstable and it's quite a range. At my range (360-380 with ESP Surges on hyzerflips) the flat one would flip flat from a slight hyzer, ride a tick right and fade. The small dome would flip flap, hold and fade. The pop top would hold hyzer the whole way. They might have been 10-15' longer than my Surges on similar lines.

If I had to, I could switch to these but I'd need to see each disc before I bought it to check for dome and that's a nonstarter for me.

I can see the these beating in very nicely though. If I played more or had more time to work Kongs in I would consider bagging these. They are not some magical disc that's going to give you 50 extra feet of distance.

TL;DR The Kong is a solid disc and it's dome is a good tell on how stable it will be.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 628 Times in 494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_High View Post
Just finished a field session with three different Kongs. One flat, one with slight dome and one pop top.

Dome definitely dictated stability one these. More dome = more overstable and it's quite a range. At my range (360-380 with ESP Surges on hyzerflips) the flat one would flip flat from a slight hyzer, ride a tick right and fade. The small dome would flip flap, hold and fade. The pop top would hold hyzer the whole way. They might have been 10-15' longer than my Surges on similar lines.

If I had to, I could switch to these but I'd need to see each disc before I bought it to check for dome and that's a nonstarter for me. Not as much dumpy late fade either. Not as much dumpy late fade either.

I can see the these beating in very nicely though. If I played more or had more time to work Kongs in I would consider bagging these. They are not some magical disc that's going to give you 50 extra feet of distance.

TL;DR The Kong is a solid disc and it's dome is a good tell on how stable it will be.
I figure I could get 20-30' more out of a good Surge vs my Kong. The Surge glides better and holds the high speed turn much longer.

I fully agree that the Kong is not some magic distance disc. You'll have to earn every foot you get out of it.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:17 PM
*Still Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 30
Niced 34 Times in 25 Posts

long story short... used to throw FR destroyers many years ago and the new ones werent the same, used outlaws for a while, but not the same, eventually settled on the most OS MVP octanes i could find and they were okay for a while.. but nothing like the KONG

i will be honest, i liked throwing MVP only but when i tried a Kong i was so impressed with the flight that i bought 2 and put them in my bag.

I had 30+ or so to pick from at the shop i was in and the dome didnt vary much on the ones i pulled, 3-4 of them had slightly higher dome but i wouldnt call it pop top and it was hardly a difference from the rest.. those are the ones i picked.

Anyways, in a head wind they didnt flip faster like my octanes, instead they slowly turned and drifted a little more before fading reliably.. in a tail wind they still held a line for a long time and didnt fade out early as i expected. Really impressed with how they handle wind way better than anything else i have tried. The flight in general is exactly what ive wanted for many years, so happy with these.. hoping they hold this stability for a long time and dont break in too fast.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 628 Times in 494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Rider View Post
long story short... used to throw FR destroyers many years ago and the new ones werent the same, used outlaws for a while, but not the same, eventually settled on the most OS MVP octanes i could find and they were okay for a while.. but nothing like the KONG

i will be honest, i liked throwing MVP only but when i tried a Kong i was so impressed with the flight that i bought 2 and put them in my bag.

I had 30+ or so to pick from at the shop i was in and the dome didnt vary much on the ones i pulled, 3-4 of them had slightly higher dome but i wouldnt call it pop top and it was hardly a difference from the rest.. those are the ones i picked.

Anyways, in a head wind they didnt flip faster like my octanes, instead they slowly turned and drifted a little more before fading reliably.. in a tail wind they still held a line for a long time and didnt fade out early as i expected. Really impressed with how they handle wind way better than anything else i have tried. The flight in general is exactly what ive wanted for many years, so happy with these.. hoping they hold this stability for a long time and dont break in too fast.
I've thrown 2 Octanes, and both of them had noticeably more high speed turn than my Kong. The Octane was faster, longer, and had better glide.

I can lean into an Octane and flip it over. Not so with the Kong.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I've thrown 2 Octanes, and both of them had noticeably more high speed turn than my Kong. The Octane was faster, longer, and had better glide.

I can lean into an Octane and flip it over. Not so with the Kong.
yea i agree with speed 13 octanes being faster (they dont make a speed 12 atm) and more high speed turn, they def flip over quickly into headwind so they are more release angle sensitive for me. I have not tested the distance side by side yet but i know i was driving the kong about 460' which is slightly less than my recent measures with the octane so the distance change isnt big for my arm speed, the slightly smaller rim on the kong actually feels a little better too.

The distance potential for me didnt seem "hard" like some have mentioned, if i didnt have the arm speed i might describe any high speed disc like that though.

The kong locks into a line longer and seems to have a stage where it just sails straight, more so than the Octane which has more lateral movement in its flight than the Kong.

Im having a lot of fun with the disc and its exactly what ive been looking for.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,372 Times in 1,520 Posts

Quote:
The distance potential for me didnt seem "hard" like some have mentioned, if i didnt have the arm speed i might describe any high speed disc like that though.
I've only tried one, but I don't have the power you do and I'm at elevation...so I'd agree with some others that it's not easy distance. It seemed pretty reliable in flight, but I can also throw a more OS disc on a similar line and have complete wind resistance. Not that I think the Kong would be bad in the wind, just I don't think I have the arm speed to make it glide/hold right, so if it's going to act stable for me I'd rather throw something more stable.

I do think if I had another 50' it could be a very different story.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 15
Niced 38 Times in 17 Posts
Default Kong being renamed Forrest Gump

I am changing the name Kong to Forrest Gump, because it "is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get".

Obviously true based on appearance, but also on flight.

I started out with a mild dome one, had decent stability, could be thrown into a moderate headwind, and I do not mean just on day 1, but held up after a month of play, etc. Stable disc, not setting any distance records with it...

But I kept reading reviews saying the flat ones were flippier, so tried one and it was true, the flat one I got is significantly flippier, not good for headwinds, and flips up pretty easily. Longer than the mild dome one.

As the weeks go by and they start to season, they are getting longer, but my Destroyers and Bosses are still faster and longer, but the gap is starting to narrow.

The ESP plastic used on the Kong (I mean Forrest Gump) is a denser, more rubbery type of plastic, which I do like, and think it has advantages for high speed driver control/placement shots, but at the margin not sure it will be as glidy as some of the Innova Star plastic runs (which you already know vary greatly over time).

I do not recommend the Kong (Forrest Gump) for beginners, the new Ricky Destroyers would be a lot easier for a new player to throw and progress with.

Knowing how much the flights and stability vary on this new disc from Discraft/McBeth, it is quite a risk ordering them online because in most cases you will not know how flat or domey it is, and also the marked weight on these discs is varying over/under by a couple grams on many of them, and that is not only based on the discs I have received but by reviewing sites that list marked and actual weight.

The prices for production runs need to come down, this is not a must have, game changer disc for most players, so needs to come down in price on the production runs, especially since the stability and weights vary, you should not be out $ 20+ for a disc that did not meet your expectations.

I have always thought that to sell discs, they need to look good just as much as perform well, and you can see this trend in the new ESP runs from Discraft and the cool pearly Z on the Raptors, etc. Pretty sad that Innova who really got us rolling with the sweet looking and performing swirly runs on the early Brinster Destroyers, etc, have lost their way lately, the lastest Nybo Teebirds, Barsby Eagles, Discmania Swirl runs, etc. are not really cutting it.

Maybe we can talk Discraft into letting Innova use some of their newer ESP and Z plastic for Teebirds, Destroyers, Bosses, etc ???

Old 04-21-2019, 05:57 PM

Good to know these hold up well over time.

I believe i have the "moderate" dome ones, they fly exactly as the numbers suggest.

Took them out today again for a field test at my usual spot and i am actually getting these just as far as the speed 13 octanes they replaced and more accurately to boot, max drives were about 470' according to udisc. this is certainly a disc that is developed for more experienced disc golfers, the HSS isnt going to help you get distance and neither is the glide, but for a disc golfer with more developed power this is what makes the disc reliable in my opinion, its a good balance of both.

As for price, $20 is a lot for a piece of plastic i agree, but if you go into it knowing its a "McBeth" stamped disc and you are paying more to support him by buying the disc then it makes sense. Personally i like McBeth and think he represents the sport well, i dont have a problem supporting him and am happy to do so.

Very impressed with Discraft plastic quality and consistency, considering i found 2 discs that fly identical in 2 different colors!

Old 04-21-2019, 07:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,372 Times in 1,520 Posts

Quote:
this is certainly a disc that is developed for more experienced disc golfers, the HSS isnt going to help you get distance and neither is the glide, but for a disc golfer with more developed power this is what makes the disc reliable in my opinion, its a good balance of both.
Yeah I fully agree with that...certain discs aren't made to get you easy distance, but if you already are able to throw that distance it will handle that line with reliability and trust. I can throw putters/mids/fairways that have that combination of stability and moderate glide for lots of lines and uses, but I am not there with speed 12+ drivers of the same style for workhorse use. I can tell that the Kong should wake up after a certain velocity.