Old 09-14-2021, 09:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,148 Times in 1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Sure, I remember thinking there were four or so outstanding woods holes in there. I seem to remember hearing the parks wanted nothing to do with it and would spend nothing on upkeep. Not Tim's fault at all.
A course like Lawless is a classic example of what I've said about courses for a long time. Every course needs a champion. A serious disc golfer with a clue as to how a course needs to be maintained. Someone who can coordinate efforts between course owner, volunteers, etc. To my knowledge, Dr. Lawless has no course champion and might not get one because it is in a really out of the way spot that is sparsely populated and competes with the likes of Meyer-Broadway down the road.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2021, 09:25 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 281
Niced 1,017 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
A course like Lawless is a classic example of what I've said about courses for a long time. Every course needs a champion. A serious disc golfer with a clue as to how a course needs to be maintained. Someone who can coordinate efforts between course owner, volunteers, etc. To my knowledge, Dr. Lawless has no course champion and might not get one because it is in a really out of the way spot that is sparsely populated and competes with the likes of Meyer-Broadway down the road.
You're my course champion, Dave.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 914
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 114 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Every course needs a champion. A serious disc golfer with a clue as to how a course needs to be maintained. Someone who can coordinate efforts between course owner, volunteers, etc.
Can one be a multiple course champion?? How do I get this token on DGCR??

On a serious note, yes a champion is definitely needed for each course. My example would be Wittkopf in the lovely town of Oconto . I was Wittkopf Champion for a while, tried passing the torch as I was having to take care of the Pond much more as I made improvements. Now, Wittkopf is in complete disrepair only time to really go play now it mid fall and early winter as they mow maybe once month. The City just has a hard time moving it, messed up part is its unused land between all the ball diamonds and camp ground, one would think that would keep most of the grass down just to keep bug at a minimum. Rant over!!! Now Shuie's just sad.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 101
Niced 3,148 Times in 1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
You're my course champion, Dave.
I know.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:18 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 355
Niced 7,569 Times in 3,067 Posts

Update on Independence Green:

Not ready for public consumption. Tee tee signs let you know where hole starts, and super berry laid out some good holes, but no baskets yet.

The "targets" are 1 ft tall furring strips, and some are missing, so it's really doesn't even qualify as an "object course" IMO.

Despite the excellent signs (someone spend some money on these signs), you really don't have a good idea where to throw on your second shot, and it's hard to commit on a tee shot with any power, when you're only iffy on a basket location. updated distance as listed on the tee signs.

This will be a nice course once the baskets are installed, and with some next tee signs pointing the way. Nice use of elevation, with water in play on a few holes, and decent chance of losing a disc in water or rough.

But for now, it's nothing more than a disc golf scavenger hunt.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-18-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:17 PM
* Ace No More *

Just played and listed a new course at Gilbert Willis Park... just 5 miles from Chez Bogey!

Basic niner with dual (natural) tees, that's perfect for beginners. I'm happy to say it a pretty responsibly designed, as most of the holes play away from the park road, rather than toward it, which is how/why this course manages to have more holes playing up hill, than down. I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Discraft had a hand in this, but I really have no clue who made this happen.

Nothing fancy, but as open as the holes are, it does a nice job of forcing you to shape a line around some well placed trees, with enough elevation to demonstrate how it affects effective relative hole length. Wind can definitely be a factor. Review forthcoming (although I guess you basically just read it).

Rumor has it they've already laid out 9 more wooded holes to get to 18. I'm concerned about how they're gonna shoehorn in another 9 woods holes without impeding other park activities, because the entire park really isn't very big . There's a walk/running trail that snakes around the entire park, and winds it's way through the woods, which has a couple of very steep hills. My son spent 4 yrs running that trail through the woods during his high school XC days, and I'm trying to picture how another 9 holes would coexist with that.

One thing I can say for sure is that this course absolutely has to be shut down when Walled Lake Western HS hosts a XC meet.
Go Warriors!

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-18-2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:57 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 28.1
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

Didn't see anything posted on this yet so apologize if I missed it. The new teepads are in at Addison Oaks for the redesign to 18 holes. The locations seem to support this plan from 2019...

https://www.oakgov.com/parks/getinvo...olfUpgrade.pdf

Sorry to see the old course go as it's one of my favorites in MI, but the new course looks super challenging and could be a lot of fun.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:09 PM
* Ace No More *

Don't get me wrong, new baskets Addison would be nice. But I I'm not sure I really buy this statement:

Quote:
Replacement of baskets provides an opportunity to increase the variety of experience at the course.
Newer/better baskets might improve the overall player experience, but the word "variety" doesn't belong in that sentence.

Unless you're creating alt pin placements (which doesn't look like they are), in and of themselves, baskets do zero for variety.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-23-2021, 11:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.4
Courses Played: 260
Niced 7,144 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaas View Post
Didn't see anything posted on this yet so apologize if I missed it. The new teepads are in at Addison Oaks for the redesign to 18 holes. The locations seem to support this plan from 2019...

https://www.oakgov.com/parks/getinvo...olfUpgrade.pdf

Sorry to see the old course go as it's one of my favorites in MI, but the new course looks super challenging and could be a lot of fun.
Hmmm....maybe have to get out there this weekend.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.4
Courses Played: 260
Niced 7,144 Times in 2,454 Posts

Heard today that the famed Toboggan course is going back in on Friday.

It is rumored the park is trying to gauge interest during the cooler months. It is rumored to be going in for at least a month. I have not validated this, but the sources are reliable. I will try to get some more info.

Might be a great time for traveling players to check this off their bucket lists. Mosquitos are minimal, the brutal hills more tolerable in cooler weather and maybe some fall colors.