Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Courses getting longer and longer

One reason I like DG is that I can play a round in a lot less time(less that half) than I use to play ball golf. Now the new courses are getting longer with multiple par 4's and 5's. I was looking at a design earlier that is a par 71. How is this going to effect the time it takes to play a round? Are DG'ers ready for 3 hour rounds?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 50
Niced 13 Times in 1 Post

i like the idea of longer holes with par 4s and 5s. Gives you alot more variety and different shots.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

Personally I don't like them. A 600'-800' hole every now and then and whatnot is fine, but why would I want that every hole?

On top of that if we start demanding 50-100 acres parks are gonna tell us where to put our disc golf courses.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 44
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that DG needs a mix, as we're headed for. Right now the majority of courses are par 54-low 60's. Championship caliber courses (anything above 65 in my mind) have a place in DG and I for one would like to see more of them. The best case scenario is a plot of land that has both courses on one, with either two tees and two pins, two tees one pin, one tee two pins, etc. This is the Charlotte area's bread and butter, and the area's two new courses are going to be championship caliber.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 42.6
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have never seen the point of holes longer than 500 ft. 900 ft wide open holes are a mystery also. It just give the big arms an advantage. A few long holes are fine, but they should have SOME obstacles. IMO just caause it's long .. don't make it a great hole. I know the land you have to work with dictates the holes to some degree.

If you want a championship type course you might have long holes (but they need obstacles)

I seen courses (Green County in Charlottsville Va. comes to mind) start as a "dink course" only to end with 500ft+ holes.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

If you dont like long open holes, dont go to Deis Hill in Ohio. Actaulyl it was a great course but I didnt rank it as high as Arboretum-Spiker which also has some long holes but has a lot more variety. I think I actually prefer more technical course because I only throw 300' but on the same token, thats not fair to the guys whos big arms are their strength.

I think there is a place for both kinds but to be a great course, I want a good mix of some open holes and some tunnel shots, with elevation changes and reasonable water hazaards (Dont care for the "drive 300' or splash ones")

Big thing is, like Bill said, we gotta be carefull not to ask for too much from parks as far as space.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

I personally think the true championship caliber courses would be lame. Why? Because they would be designed to handle crowds, and by that they would be open. It would end up like Winthrop with a bunch of fake obstacles and borders to make it hard.

Now, if we want to make really really hard courses I think those should be put in on private land and all be pay to play. That way they can be taken care of professionally.

The sport NEEDS rec courses to get people playing and it NEEDS pro courses so us suckos can go get humbled and somewhere to watch the pros do their thing.

It seems like Maple Hill in the Vibram layout is quite the champ course, but it would never be an ESPN Presents the March to the PDGA Shick Redbull Depends Monastat Cup caliber course because there is nowhere to put the big gallery. As we all know, big gallery=success (this is kind of sarcastic).

Really what needs to grow are Junior level courses. They may be lame to us but if we want our kids to play we should probably not expect them to throw 666' par 4s.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I think long holes are great. In NC the majority of the courses I play are in the woods with tight fairways. I think Disc golf could use more courses where you can actually use that driver that you spent so much time in the field throwing.

Winthrop is a blast to play. It will kick you around even without the ropes set up.

I would even like to see pay courses, however with so many free courses around I don't see pay course succeeding. Not to the extent of ball courses. Now if ball courses were to add another green with a disc golf basket I think they could make some extra money however I don't see a full blown disc golf course being successful. Private courses with small fees excluded.

Last edited by PanicKJ; 11-20-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 35
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you've played north lake park in Denton it's like this. 2 holes over 500, lots of par 4s, but a lot of open, long shots. I really enjoyed it though. I feel like to grow my game i need to be able to crank a drive and not be totally punished if it fades way right. That helps me practice my power. By the end of the round I was driving farther than I normally do and putting it right in the middle of the fairway. I think just like I need obstacles to get around to teach me technique and accuracy, I need some bomb holes so I can work on distance. Also, it's just plain fun to throw a disc as far and as hard as you can and not worry about losing it 100ft off in the woods. I wish I was closer to this course.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalos13 View Post
If you've played north lake park in Denton it's like this. 2 holes over 500, lots of par 4s, but a lot of open, long shots. I really enjoyed it though. I feel like to grow my game i need to be able to crank a drive and not be totally punished if it fades way right. That helps me practice my power. By the end of the round I was driving farther than I normally do and putting it right in the middle of the fairway. I think just like I need obstacles to get around to teach me technique and accuracy, I need some bomb holes so I can work on distance. Also, it's just plain fun to throw a disc as far and as hard as you can and not worry about losing it 100ft off in the woods. I wish I was closer to this course.
You do have a good point. I find some of the open holes boring but yet, I have been willing to go just work on driving in a field. Maybe I was thinking of the open holes the wrong way.

Either way, i still find it more fun to at least have a tree or something in the way.