Old 10-31-2016, 08:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default Form Check/update

Hi all, wanted to post a form check here. I've been playing since March or so of this year. I posted a check about 4-5 months ago. Sine then I've been doing some fieldwork, watching tons of vids, reading here, checking out some SW drills, playing rounds etc etc and I've definitely progressed some in terms of distance and consistency. I'm getting Rocs to 275-300, and drivers 320-350. I have two different shots posted below - from the side was a Roadrunner that I yanked high and to the right, from behind the tee was an Orc that went about 315' on a hyzer.

What I notice:
- rear foot should be planted more closed/perpendicular to the target line
- stride could be shorter?
- on my better feeling/farther throws (350ish) I feel more loose and deeper into the backswing (turned further away from target)
- off-arm needs to get in tighter
- really need to figure out weightshift/balance on front leg

Other thoughts: I'd be pretty satisfied with a controllable, repeatable 350' within my first year of playing, but I know there's potential for more efficient distance with proper weight shift/brace.

Behind Tee

Side View
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2016, 10:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 207
Niced 1,242 Times in 840 Posts

You are stepping around yourself instead of moving/striding/gliding more laterally - stacked and centered in posture and balance. See how Nate's hips are stacked upright over ankles in athletic ready/quick position and moving in a tighter footbase/center targetward to the apex. Because Nate's rear hip is upright he can turn/load/leverage further back more effectively(butt wipe/hogan power move) and same thing on the front hip(one leg drill). Because you aren't bracing upright on your front hip your upper body/shoulder flies open and hook your swing to the right. You also need to keep turning your shoulder much further back (door frame drill).

Old 10-31-2016, 11:24 PM
Par Member

Thanks as always SW for the reply and the diagrams too. It's funny you included Nate Doss there - last week in doubles, my partner mentioned that I was rounding a little bit in the backswing. The last few rounds I've played since then, including when I took these vids, I kind of emphasized a wider backswing a-la Doss to avoid rounding/over reaching. In doing so, and especially after reviewing the footage, I suspect that tweak may have shortened my backswing/turn/hip load (reaching out vs turning back). I'm glad you mentioned the door frame drill because I was planning on going back to that one in regards to the backswing.

I see what you mean about Nate's tighter footbase - I need to try to compact mine up a bit and stride laterally like you said.

Another thing I've noticed with the top throwers is how their rear foot is off of the ground pretty much as soon as the disc starts to come forward. Mine is way way later. Is this a result of a solid brace? Is it balance? Crush the can?
Old 10-31-2016, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
Another thing I've noticed with the top throwers is how their rear foot is off of the ground pretty much as soon as the disc starts to come forward. Mine is way way later. Is this a result of a solid brace? Is it balance? Crush the can?
All the above. The pros are quicker off the rear foot because they are in better athletic ready position and posture to make "the move" forward where you are in a more immovable horsestance/seated position.

Re-posting from your previous thread, you are still spinning out the rear foot:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Try swinging your shoulder/arm/disc back more under you. Your reachback is a bit high. My disc is almost at my hip or navel at the top of my backswing and then I lower my center of gravity into the plant/weightshift so the swing is level(door frame pt 2).

Your rear foot is spinning out and late to the party, you have both heels on the ground at same time, that should not happen. The rear heel needs to be airborne as your front heel plants and your rear toes/instep should be driving the heel forward/targetward ahead of the toes so the foot everts(your rear heel spins away from the target).

Old 12-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Par Member

Ok so it's been a little bit, but I've been doing a ton of reading and watching SW's videos on the brace and the weight shift.

I've obviously been throwing with all arm/upper body, and not shifting my weight properly. Ive been just pulling like all hell from the top of the backswing. I've noticed that the pros have their rear foot being deweighted or going airborne as the disc comes forward, so my question is: does the disc come forward as a result of the weight shift, not just an independent thing that happens "during" the weight shift? This may help me begin to understand things more clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2016, 08:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Weightshift leads the swing sequence, you need a braced front side to swing from.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Par Member

Thanks. So once weightshift/brace happens, is it just a ripping through of the arm or do the hips clear, then torso pulls shoulder which then pulls loose arm? I'm kind of confused on the sequence and what I should be focusing on doing during the swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2016, 12:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Weightshift and bracing are a dynamic event throughout the swing sequenced from the ground up. The whole arm and shoulder should be leveraged from your weight/counterweight like a trebuchet(see door frame drills).

Niced: (1)
Old 12-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Par Member

Got out to the field today after a couple days of watching/doing door frame drills and butt wipe. Also been working on this little move that rhatton1 does around 5m in this video:

You can see me trying it before I throw these two shots, which felt decent and had decent flight to about 325' - average for me. It felt like the looser the arm was, the better things went... Still looks like the rear foot is spinning out. I was filming myself and wandered slightly out of frame, but hopefully y'all can see what's going on for the most part.

I think I'm starting to understand the concept of the brace but it will likely take a while for my neanderthal body to get it right... Here's my attempts at figuring it out

Old 12-28-2016, 04:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Looks like your rear foot is trying to drive your arm instead of your weight/momentum.