Old 06-13-2018, 12:11 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 50 Times in 29 Posts
Default 2 questions I have:

1. Is/Are there any discs which universally do something remarkable to the point that having them gives you some type of advantage?

2. Is the reason that, it seems to me, most/all pros do not mess around with lighter weight discs (assuming wind is not a factor) is because changes in the weight of the disc affect timing/technique enough that the extra distance is not worth messing with?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2018, 12:51 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 990 Times in 673 Posts

No. Not at all. I love the GYRO but **** isn't magic.

Many "pros" use lighter discs often just depends who. If i can toss a 114g legal pdga disc im sure top pros could just have no need.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 06-13-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:58 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 134
Niced 990 Times in 673 Posts

Hell the game is slowly becoming lawn darts vs frisbee flights...

Old 06-13-2018, 03:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.8
Courses Played: 59
Niced 268 Times in 152 Posts

1. Big Bead Aviar or a reasonable variant.

2. idk, less than max weight discs certainly not odd in a ‘pro’ bag. .... stretch distance up hills and standstill condition long fairways are cromulent carry reasons aside from a honey tailwind in a perfect setup.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,615 Times in 1,079 Posts

Everyone's arm speed and shot strengths are a bit different, so I don't think any specific disc is necessary. As long as you've tried discs of all speed classes/types then you can decide what works for you...like traditional speed 4 mids vs. low line speed 5 mids, or the speed 7ish fairways vs. the 9/10 control drivers. There are some standouts in each class that work for lots of people, but really you can find stuff from any company and with different wing heights that work for you. There are obviously some discs that are the "standard" for that speed or shot type, but there are other discs that are close and are better or worse for subtle reasons or for different people.

It's worth messing with light discs if you want to. Especially for tailwinds. I do think they can be a bit more torque prone, or maybe the slight weight difference makes me torque them slightly more compared to my normal throw timing? But they do have a bit of a different characteristic than just throwing a lower stability disc, like a less stable + light disc will bomb in tailwinds. And light weight but overstable shaped discs will hold straight for a long time but still hook up hard. I don't think lots of the top pro's throw them, because when you have 500' of power you can make almost any disc flip or hold straight for a long time.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:06 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 50 Times in 29 Posts

thank for the replies!

I guess what I am trying to do here is really buy into a mindset in which it makes no difference which run of this or that disc I have or lose, etc.. Also wanting to really truly know if there are any discs which have some undeniable quality worth having. Like is CE plastic really going to enhance my ability, not likely. Are AJ destroyers fliying in such a magnificent way they are worth $60, probably not...but idk. Is it just a comfort thing, psychologically, that a person may think having XYZ disc gives them a better ability, and maybe by thinking that, it manifests because of the belief and not the actual disc lol IDK.

So i guess that means I have to ask and not assume if NT and DGPT players carry and throw 150-155g discs? Im not sure why I assumed they didnt. If they dont, why not? (again, wind not a factor)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 105
Niced 86 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaxgoblin View Post
1. Is/Are there any discs which universally do something remarkable to the point that having them gives you some type of advantage?

2. Is the reason that, it seems to me, most/all pros do not mess around with lighter weight discs (assuming wind is not a factor) is because changes in the weight of the disc affect timing/technique enough that the extra distance is not worth messing with?
1. Sure to be disagreement with this, but I believe that DGA's Signature Line discs--Blowfly, Blowfly II, Blunt Gumbputt, and Powerdrive Gumbputt--are remarkable. They are rubbery and can get very floppy. Their advantages are that they have fewer rollaways, have a lot less ricochet off of trees, and stick better where they land. They are also very durable, and the Blowfly and Blunt Gumbputt float. I believe they stick in the chains better, cutting through or bouncing out less often, slightly offset by being occasionally thrown back out of the target by riding the chains. When I played Hole 4 at Peregrine Point, where you throw over an arm of the canyon, from one cliff to the other, with the other going up hill, I threw a Blowfly because I could be almost certain that it would stick on the hill and not roll back and off the cliff.

2. I don't know about most/all pros, but I believe I've seen Holly Finley throwing Starlite.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 545 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:

No disc itself is universally advantageous to have. If a disc is complimentary to your game then by all means you should carry it. Its more the archer, not the arrow however finding the "right" arrow doesn't hurt.

I assume that most pros throw max weight (assuming wind is not a factor) for the same reason I started throwing mostly max weight: consistency, lighter discs can and do get squirrelly more often. I think a Barry Shultz ITB video I saw had him saying he wasnt "married to the idea of max weight" I think also Big Jerm carrys a 168g. Wraith or Destro?? That's super pop top and όber stable. So lighter discs are in pros bags also.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,021 Times in 965 Posts

Quote:
If there were, everyone would throw them.

You'll find some discs that are incrementally better for you. Most of the thousands of variations of molds/plastics/weights have done that for somebody, or they wouldn't stay on the market. Some, for more players than others, hence their popularity. But certainly nothing universally.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 276 Times in 190 Posts

1. No. Too many different approaches to the game for any one disc to be universally advantageous. I find a thrashed aviar invaluable and feel like I’m cheating with it sometimes, but some of my friends hate it because they approach the game differently.

2. Depends what you consider lighter weight. I’ve seen in the bags where pros carry discs in the 160s. Really it doesn’t matter what other people throw though. If you like a disc and it does well for you and is 146g, throw it. Pretty much 99% of people playing this game would take any given pro’s bag and struggle, because disc choice is a personal thing.