Old 12-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
This! The thing you want to do with someone who is serious about improving is give them discs that, in their respective classes, are fast enough to make any form flaws you throw at them. Throw in a Boss and a Nuke OS, and he's ready for anything!
Well he wanted a bag and I gave him an answer I thought would be good. I think beginners like to throw farther first, rather than focusing on form and a Pro Destroyer hits the nail on the head. But shoot why not get this guy a Rhyno and go tell him to throw it 300ft before he can move up to a buzz. Because he will definitely be wanting to come out to play next time.

But Really,

Bag of 5-6 discs. (I don't know how your friend throws FH but this is the bag of discs I would use if I was predominate FH player that is beginning and can only throw 275.)

Drivers:
Pro Destroyer 168-170g
Eagle-X 170-175g
River 170-175g

Mids:
Hornet 170-175g
Buzzz 175-180g
Meteor 170-175g

Putter:
Rhyno max
Aviar max

There's you a bag.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 38
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

^^^ The post above from katana is exactly what I am am looking for. Thank you katana!
My friend is not a beginner, he has been playing for 5 years.... he tought me how to play. Now I beat him by 10+ strokes on 18.

His putter will definetly be a pro rhyno. He thinks the low profile feels best in his hand and doesn't like his pures as much any more.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 208
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 843 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwheels View Post
^^^ The post above from katana is exactly what I am am looking for. Thank you katana!
My friend is not a beginner, he has been playing for 5 years.... he tought me how to play. Now I beat him by 10+ strokes on 18.

His putter will definetly be a pro rhyno. He thinks the low profile feels best in his hand and doesn't like his pures as much any more.
So he's really just looking to gain some distance, not improve long term. 5 years of masked form flaws means he's developed bad habits, not good technique.

Last edited by tbird888; 12-02-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

No we are not interested in distance for him. I am focusing him on accuracy which is why in my first post I stated possibly restarting him with a zone and buzz or wasp. I need to get him straightened out up close before we worry about far, I do have the big picture in mind though.
His technique is definetly.... funky.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I would think a beginner would want a disc that would keep them in the fairway more than anything (like a Leopard). A Destroyer is definitely that disc! The OP didn't ask for a beginner bag though (still not convinced a Leopard isn't the right answer here too), did he? He asked for help in improving an existing player who's looking to improve. Masking form flaws with discs on the faster (and overstable) end of their respective classes won't help that. If he's looking to gain some distance for the sake of distance, a Destroyer would be great (you know, the whole "new thrower addicted to high speed plastic because faster = more distance, right?" argument). If he's looking to improve in the long term, learning proper technique (with less forgiving, slower plastic) is what is important, otherwise he'll just have to unlearn all the bad habits he built throwing the faster plastic.
Yeah and I agree with everything you said. But, he listed his friend's distance, which usually means he wants his friend to improve on distance. I think there is something else we agree on though. Discs will not improve form and get you better. Experience and dedication to work on form flaws improve form and game play. And the best way to improve form (rather than asking the local pro or going to a clinic) is to post a video of your friend throwing off the tee and midrange shots. Then we can critique his form and make him better that way, rather than guessing what the OP is specifically asking for and guessing what discs are best for the OP's friend. But for now the best thing we can do to help is to give the OP our best answers.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Quote:
No we are not interested in distance for him. I am focusing him on accuracy which is why in my first post I stated possibly restarting him with a zone and buzz or wasp. I need to get him straightened out up close before we worry about far, I do have the big picture in mind though.
His technique is definitely.... funky.
Exactly like BH, if he isn't releasing the disc cleanly, it doesn't matter what distance he's throwing. Bad form will never fix any problems successfully. He can take the long way around with discs that are overstable/too fast and realize eventually that it's his technique and not the plastic (the route I took - took me almost five years myself before I decided to finally change things...when I think about all the stress I could've saved my body...), or he can fix things now and build on that foundation. For the record, my transformation took me from a mid 800-rated player to throwing rounds well into the 900s. I did it with Comets, Leopards, and any slower neutral disc I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaFrenzy View Post
Quote:
His technique is definetly.... funky.
Yeah and I agree with everything you said. But, he listed his friend's distance, which usually means he wants his friend to improve on distance. I think there is something else we agree on though. Discs will not improve form and get you better. Experience and dedication to work on form flaws improve form and game play. And the best way to improve form (rather than asking the local pro or going to a clinic) is to post a video of your friend throwing off the tee and midrange shots. Then we can critique his form and make him better that way, rather than guessing what the OP is specifically asking for and guessing what discs are best for the OP's friend. But for now the best thing we can do to help is to give the OP our best answers.
Really? Him already admitting they're not interested in distance at this time aside (I know this was admitted after your initial post), do you really think a Destroyer or Hornet (with his poor form) is going to help him gain consistent distance? Even a Buzzz will tolerate a fair amount OAT (threw one for many of my poorer form years).

Last edited by tbird888; 12-02-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

My edit time ran out...I disagree with you about having to post a vid to fix your form. I did it with a Comet and a Leopard and lots of field work. Even with the vids, putting in the field time is what ultimately rewards you.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Can you give us more info on how he releases? Is it floppy? Too high? Turning over overstable discs? Does it hyzer entirely? Or is it flat? What discs is he throwing now?

Well I watched videos and tried to mimic them, but when I posted a video of myself it allowed me to focus on the major flaws. Then I took the feedback and hit the field (yard) and I threw for around half an hour to an hour every day. So that is the way I did it and it has taken me from #12 to the bag tag to #1 at my local club. (I haven't played PDGA stuff to get a rating but gives an example)

Last edited by KatanaFrenzy; 12-02-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the input. I will try to get some time with him in the field and maybe a vid.