Old 06-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 35 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKRanger View Post
Buzzz we were reserved for the bunkhouse the 28th-1st obviously can't stay there with chestnut being closed. With the limited communication with John we have had it seems he states we are allowed to tent up there just fine. Do you know any more details on this info? Also the conditions of the courses, you said they are getting a lot better is this still true and continuing to be true? Thanks for the help my group is desperately trying to find out what we are going to do for sure.
There was a group in the honka house this weekend and two groups camping on the hill without any issue. However chestnut including the bunkhouse is still closed as far as i know also last time i checked the grass on the chestnut course was waist high. The 5 courses on the hill look better than ever though. As far as your reservation at the bunkhouse you need to talk to john. he told me this weekend he was working to get it open soon but its johnny so who knows
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 10:45 PM
**Stickin'Putts**

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 474
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 69 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
John owns or controls enough plots that he could easily be selling some.
He's in foreclosure proceedings.

Not judging him. Just appears to be a fact.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 44
Niced 141 Times in 73 Posts

Just so anyone planning on discing there soon, do your research with the roads, the weather really butt****ed our area again, washouts and floods and whatnot. Just got to Duluth from Hurley for my wife's dental appointment - a drive that normally takes an 1 hour and 45 minutes took about 4 hours due to detours and flooded and closed roads.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 109
Niced 675 Times in 368 Posts

Looking at the news for Ashland, it seems that most or all of the road closures are to the North and West of HBH.

Quote:
•US 53 (Southbound lanes) at Bennett Road
•US Hwy 2 closed between Tomich Rd and US Hwy 63 in
•US Hwy 63 is closed between Grand View and Drummond
•County Highways E (west), F, H and N are closed to thru traffic.
Coming from the South, we are on 13, which seems to be ok. At least, I haven't found anything saying there are closures on 13.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:12 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCritters View Post
He's in foreclosure proceedings.

Not judging him. Just appears to be a fact.
John is a crook and has a long record of cheating whoever he does business with.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Bogey Member

Apparently John is carrying a pistol at all times even while mowing due to investors that have been stopping by to see him unannounced. Not sure if hes hiding out there but i gotta give him credit we got a ton of rain and the grass is growing so fast but he and abby have managed to keep the place mowed really well. She started mowing the wider tedious stuff (like gold 8) and hes been doing the delicate and tighter fairways (ie Bear) and i must say it looks pretty good out there.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 109
Niced 675 Times in 368 Posts

My take after just being there.

HBH is the same as it ever was. John was a little more serious when he told us that if we see anyone we need to say that we are "friends", not "guests", and that we are either (a) looking at lots by Chestnut, or (b) helping him build a new deck on Honka for a wedding. No one signed anything, and he has told us this every year I think, so really nothing was different.

Courses look amazing. Everything was mowed. Gold was getting sort of long as it had been 12 days or so, but overall really great. Bear was as perfect as last year.

It was busier this year than I have ever seen it. 6 of my group in Honka, 3 of us down by Woodland 9, and then 3 other groups that all had at least 4-5 people. Funny that it was so busy the year it's "closed".

Carts are getting down there - there were only 3 working ones, and they are in pretty rough shape. That was the only slight downside.

If you are camping, I would suggest our spot down by Woodland 9/Bear 11. It was an awesome spot. There's a wall of brush with a bench that I assume Infra folks made, underneath an overhang where we made our fire pit. Unlimited kindling for fire, and it was a nice cool, shady spot, very quiet and far away from the rest of the guests...er friends.

Last edited by roggenb3; 06-25-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 356
Niced 58 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
My take after just being there.

HBH is the same as it ever was. John was a little more serious when he told us that if we see anyone we need to say that we are "friends", not "guests", and that we are either (a) looking at lots by Chestnut, or (b) helping him build a new deck on Honka for a wedding. No one signed anything, and he has told us this every year I think, so really nothing was different.

Courses look amazing. Everything was mowed. Gold was getting sort of long as it had been 12 days or so, but overall really great. Bear was as perfect as last year.

It was busier this year than I have ever seen it. 6 of my group in Honka, 3 of us down by Woodland 9, and then 3 other groups that all had at least 4-5 people. Funny that it was so busy the year it's "closed".

Carts are getting down there - there were only 3 working ones, and they are in pretty rough shape. That was the only slight downside.

If you are camping, I would suggest our spot down by Woodland 9/Bear 11. It was an awesome spot. There's a wall of brush with a bench that I assume Infra folks made, underneath an overhang where we made our fire pit. Unlimited kindling for fire, and it was a nice cool, shady spot, very quiet and far away from the rest of the guests...er friends.
Thanks for the detailed update, Roggen. Fingers crossed this maintenance kick continues for another couple of weeks -- we'll be there from the 5th to the 8th.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:13 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 61
Niced 22 Times in 15 Posts
Default We Will See...

For those who don't know, our group had the bunkhouse reserved (the "cabin" down by Chesnut) for the upcoming weekend. Since the Chesnut area is part of the area that got shutdown I had reached out to John about it. He continued to say he didn't know for sure for about 2 weeks, but then went on to say that there was still camping available around the Honka but sounded like the Bunkhouse was a no go. I asked him politely if we could get a refund as our group was only a few weeks away, and each time he said there was still camping available. After the third time texting him for a refund and getting the same answers, I Facebook messaged the Highbridge Hills account, basically laying out the situation and how we are not able to camp due to lack of resources and such a late notice regarding Chesnut not being available. Whoever was running the account (I assume either John or Abby) went on to ask me for my mailing address and that they would mail me my money back. While mailing money sounded weird and old school, I gave my information and now we will see what happens. Again, I had no expectations going in, but i'm hoping this is a turn for the better for them.

Niced: (1)

Old 06-26-2018, 06:47 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bright View Post
For those who don't know, our group had the bunkhouse reserved (the "cabin" down by Chesnut) for the upcoming weekend. Since the Chesnut area is part of the area that got shutdown I had reached out to John about it. He continued to say he didn't know for sure for about 2 weeks, but then went on to say that there was still camping available around the Honka but sounded like the Bunkhouse was a no go. I asked him politely if we could get a refund as our group was only a few weeks away, and each time he said there was still camping available. After the third time texting him for a refund and getting the same answers, I Facebook messaged the Highbridge Hills account, basically laying out the situation and how we are not able to camp due to lack of resources and such a late notice regarding Chesnut not being available. Whoever was running the account (I assume either John or Abby) went on to ask me for my mailing address and that they would mail me my money back. While mailing money sounded weird and old school, I gave my information and now we will see what happens. Again, I had no expectations going in, but i'm hoping this is a turn for the better for them.
John is the only admin on the facebook page. I hope you get your refund bro. Id like to know if you do it would restore a glimmer of hope.