Old 03-13-2019, 12:02 AM
Par Member

Niced 58 Times in 29 Posts
Default Favourite understable distance driver

I have a love for understable discs. I love the shapes and lines that can be achieved when you dial in the right disc for the job.
I would love to know what your favourite distance driver is! What are you currently throwing, what do you love about it, and what are you looking to try next? I want to know what distance driver gives you the longest, and most beautiful "S" flight!
Let's say minimum 10 speed, as I feel anything lower would be classified as more of a fairway driver.

Currently I'm throwing an Archon, at 11, 5, -2 , 2.

It's a fantastic and overlooked disc. I didn't really know much about it before I picked it up. In fact, on first look/feel, I was skeptical because of the HUGE shoulders it has. But it gives me one of the sexiest "S" lines I've thrown.

I'm looking to try out a Discraft Thrasher next.

What about you?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2019, 12:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 890 Times in 509 Posts

Neutron Inertia...well the first run when they where borderline illegal stiff. The amount of power they can handle without burning is impressive.
I am not as impressed with the Plasma Inertias, more turn and harsher fade.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-13-2019, 12:42 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 23 Times in 15 Posts

Discmania TD is my favorite understable control driver. I carry an s-line and a d-line. The s-line is for hyzer flips and power turnovers. The d-line is for standstills, big turnovers or rollers. I also like throwing both for forehand shots as well. The next step up from a TD is a p-line PD2. They aren't naturally understable, but with a little wear they hold a turn nicely.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:51 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,906 Times in 1,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
I have a love for understable discs. I love the shapes and lines that can be achieved when you dial in the right disc for the job.
I would love to know what your favourite distance driver is! What are you currently throwing, what do you love about it, and what are you looking to try next? I want to know what distance driver gives you the longest, and most beautiful "S" flight!
Let's say minimum 10 speed, as I feel anything lower would be classified as more of a fairway driver.

Currently I'm throwing an Archon, at 11, 5, -2 , 2.

It's a fantastic and overlooked disc. I didn't really know much about it before I picked it up. In fact, on first look/feel, I was skeptical because of the HUGE shoulders it has. But it gives me one of the sexiest "S" lines I've thrown.

I'm looking to try out a Discraft Thrasher next.

What about you?
I like the Archon, also. It's one of those "Destrulcan"-domed discs. For a while it was my main distance driver, but eventually lost out to the Tern.

I also tried the Thrasher. It's also a good disc, but it didn't "wow" me, again in comparison to the Tern (noticing a pattern, there? ).

When Spring arrives, the candidates to return to my bag are the Neutron Wave and the Pro Shryke/I-blend Pharaoh. If Innova ever gets around to making some lightweight Mysteres, it might return to my bag in place of the Wave. And the Pro Shryke I have may be an aberration, but that baby flies for me.

Or maybe the Tern again...

Old 03-13-2019, 12:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,447 Times in 1,560 Posts

If you're thinking S-type understable flights, I think Havocs have a really huge turnover flight and enough stability to not roll on you if you throw them with enough hyzer and height. Definitely a touchy shot though.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:10 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
If you're thinking S-type understable flights, I think Havocs have a really huge turnover flight and enough stability to not roll on you if you throw them with enough hyzer and height. Definitely a touchy shot though.
Wouldn't consider a Havoc very understable out of the box myself. But each to their own!
Old 03-13-2019, 01:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Wouldn't consider a Havoc very understable out of the box myself. But each to their own!
How far do you throw?
Old 03-13-2019, 01:22 AM
Par Member

Quote:
How far do you throw?
Max out at around 375, so I'm not a power thrower. But anyone who considers a disc with flight ratings 13, 5, -1, 3 an "understable" disc must have a HUGE arm. Of course, you can beat in any overstable disc, but I'm talking fresh.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Max out at around 375, so I'm not a power thrower. But anyone who considers a disc with flight ratings 13, 5, -1, 3 an "understable" disc must have a HUGE arm. Of course, you can beat in any overstable disc, but I'm talking fresh.
Hmm you throw hard enough to turn them with no problem, in my experience. The flight ratings are way off on the Havoc, I'd call them 13/5/-3/2 from the handful I've thrown.

The King is another one that has the ratings way off and can fly understable S flights that bomb.

Niced: (2)

Old 03-13-2019, 01:31 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Hmm you throw hard enough to turn them with no problem, in my experience. The flight ratings are way off on the Havoc, I'd call them 13/5/-3/2 from the handful I've thrown.

The King is another one that has the ratings way off and can fly understable S flights that bomb.
Ah gotcha!

I used to throw a king actually. I loved that disc once I learned how to throw it. That thing would sail for days! Just wish they had better plastic.