Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 254 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
was that supposed to clear something up? :lol:
As in-depth as it was, I did find it to be very informative and personally agree with what was said. Different things make sense for different people, I’m always a fan of someone speaking the truth in a unique manner because it allows more people to understand, so long as it’s the truth - and I tend to believe what he said is.

I think the easiest athletic move of all time, besides running, is kicking a ball. Our bodies are optimized for something very similar, and people have no problem allowing their non-plant leg and hip to swing. It’s when the non-plant leg is laterally behind the brace that people tend to get confused.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-13-2021, 12:58 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 415 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
As in-depth as it was, I did find it to be very informative and personally agree with what was said. Different things make sense for different people, I’m always a fan of someone speaking the truth in a unique manner because it allows more people to understand, so long as it’s the truth - and I tend to believe what he said is.

I think the easiest athletic move of all time, besides running, is kicking a ball. Our bodies are optimized for something very similar, and people have no problem allowing their non-plant leg and hip to swing. It’s when the non-plant leg is laterally behind the brace that people tend to get confused.
I get it, and I’m not trying to be a dick, but I tend to think our most in-depth posts here only make sense to those who already understand the movement.

After years and years of mile long posts (read and written), I really haven’t found success in that type of detailed breakdown when applying it to the actual throw.

For discussion it’s fine, and I’m all about understanding what’s going on, but when applying things to your throw I found GREAT success in the most simple of concepts.

Throwing a hammer. Elephant walk. One-leg drill. Rocking the hips. Windmill. Free floating arm.

In-depth knowledge brings understanding, and I believe that’s certainly a path to a good backhand… but a longer one.

It’s about feeling those movements, and I like the way Sidewinder can go “in-depth” with like two words and a glass of beer.

As much as I LOVE this site and discussing form, if you want to improve your backhand stop reading right now and go out and throw with one big concept in mind (id recommend the one leg or rocking the hips). Then film it and get feedback.

I’ve unofficially coached a lot of people (and officially coached a few). I could send them here and in 5 years they’ll have a good backhand OR we can go out to the field and they can hand a physical understanding of certain concepts in minutes.

Not discouraging discussion just making a point I believe in.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 861 Times in 448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
I get it, and I’m not trying to be a dick, but I tend to think our most in-depth posts here only make sense to those who already understand the movement.

After years and years of mile long posts (read and written), I really haven’t found success in that type of detailed breakdown when applying it to the actual throw.

For discussion it’s fine, and I’m all about understanding what’s going on, but when applying things to your throw I found GREAT success in the most simple of concepts.

Throwing a hammer. Elephant walk. One-leg drill. Rocking the hips. Windmill. Free floating arm.

In-depth knowledge brings understanding, and I believe that’s certainly a path to a good backhand… but a longer one.

It’s about feeling those movements, and I like the way Sidewinder can go “in-depth” with like two words and a glass of beer.

As much as I LOVE this site and discussing form, if you want to improve your backhand stop reading right now and go out and throw with one big concept in mind (id recommend the one leg or rocking the hips). Then film it and get feedback.

I’ve unofficially coached a lot of people (and officially coached a few). I could send them here and in 5 years they’ll have a good backhand OR we can go out to the field and they can hand a physical understanding of certain concepts in minutes.

Not discouraging discussion just making a point I believe in.
Totally agree with this...I’ve been down so many rabbit holes on my form journey thus far. In the spirit of keeping it simple - this latest YouTube video from SW22. I wish I could go back in time and spend every field session just figuring out how to use my body to throw a hammer just like he’s doing in the vid. You get this motion down, disc golf becomes way more fun.

https://youtu.be/t2U3p6ilaD0

Old 06-14-2021, 03:00 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 40 Times in 19 Posts

Some people learn/process verbally others with images, etc. Takes all sorts.