Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

View Poll Results: What level player are you & do you try to modulate the amount of spin on your throw?
I'm pretty advanced. I just throw and don't worry about more or less spin. 32 42.67%
I'm pretty advanced. I use different levels of spin to make my discs/shots work. 16 21.33%
I'm not very advanced. I don't worry about putting different levels of spin on my throws. 21 28.00%
I'm not very advanced. I try to control the level of spin on my shots. 6 8.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 673 Times in 446 Posts
Default Do you try to put more or less spin on your disc? Or just throw?

Hey all, I was playing recently and heard various folks talking about putting more or less spin on shots with certain discs. What about you? Do you think about how much spin?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2017, 12:05 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 205 Times in 137 Posts

My experience counts for zilch, but I have found that almost any Innova disc requires more spin than an equivalent MVP for the same shot. Not a bad thing, just different.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,208 Times in 533 Posts

The consensus seems to be the other way around for MVP, in that MVP discs require a bit more snap and spin.

To the OP, I don't consciously adjust on drives. I do sometimes on shorter shorts, such as low ceiling approaches or something.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Niced 205 Times in 137 Posts

Thought this thread was specific to putting.

Approaches and drives are a different critters.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 566 Times in 347 Posts

I try to intentionally throw with different levels of spin to achieve my lines.

200' hyzer approach with unlimited ceiling? I'm putting my Envy on a hyzer and not trying to spin in particularly hard, just letting the disc work.

340' tunnel shot ending in a slight right turn? I might rip my Proxy hard and flat, with a ton of spin, so that it gets forced into a mild turnover late in the flight and holds a slight right drift to the pin.

500' distance drive that needs to be straight to fade in a really strong tailwind? I might take a really flippy distance driver and throw it with a ton of spin and some hyzer. It will try to flip up and turnover, but the tail wind and high rate of spin will hold it relatively straight, while it glides down the fairway for massive distance.

For late breaking turnovers I find being able to manipulate spin is incredibly helpful. Throwing something flippy with a lot of hyzer and a ton of spin can make discs do strange things in the air.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

Spin is a byproduct of hand speed at release and strength of the grip, which both (of course with other variables in at such as disc stabilities etc) determine how far you are going to throw. I do not believe we will see an appreciable difference in spin from player to player at comparable speeds and distances unless we are dealing with extremely low disc speeds where you can actually choose to relax the grip a bit...and release before a full extension of the arm happens. Approaches and putting come to mind, moreso putting. Approaches are really the only "throw" where I might relax my grip to neuter my release speed (and therefore spin) because it's a pain in the ass to get a full extension on a very short throw with a lid and still be very accurate. Still not directly manipulating disc rotation, merely allowing my arm to travel at a more comfortable pace while throwing the object slower.

So, I'd argue that putts are the only meaningful situation where one can impart more/less spin and claim to exercise significant control.

I'm not a "very" advanced player. I do throw farther than most average league players, topping at 450' or so for my very best drives. I don't throw as far as many people out there, but I don't think this is a question of skill. And I certainly do consider myself somewhat adept at manipulating discs at low speeds. I love lids.

My answer is, don't even bother thinking about it. Not worth your time except for putts.....MAAAAYBE.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by Kodachrome; 03-22-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:43 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 34 Times in 24 Posts

the backhand throw just naturally adds spin to the disc. I never think "Oh I need to spin the disc THIS much" It just happens depending on how quick your arm speed is on the shot.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,120 Times in 565 Posts

I just throw. The only thing I'm concerned with is trying to keep my hand on the outside of the disc on drives. On approaches I don't worry so much about that.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 135
Niced 994 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
So, I'd argue that putts are the only meaningful situation where one can impart more/less spin and claim to exercise significant control.
That all depends on your definition of significant. It's absolutely possible to take 2 drivers and throw them at the same speed and release angle, but spin one really hard and the other very little and watch "significantly" different flight paths result.

For example, when I play a 2 disc round and need to dogleg left, and my only non-putter is something super flippy, I'm throwing a steep hyzer with as little spin as possible to keep my flippy disc going left on the hyzer and not flipping up and over.

I don't know why people think it's such a difficult thing to control. It's really not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
For late breaking turnovers I find being able to manipulate spin is incredibly helpful. Throwing something flippy with a lot of hyzer and a ton of spin can make discs do strange things in the air.
Agreed. I do this with my Tursas to get it to wait until like 225' before turning right. It's beautiful.

Last edited by roggenb3; 03-22-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
That all depends on your definition of significant. It's absolutely possible to take 2 drivers and throw them at the same speed and release angle, but spin one really hard and the other very little and watch "significantly" different flight paths result.

For example, when I play a 2 disc round and need to dogleg left, and my only non-putter is something super flippy, I'm throwing a steep hyzer with as little spin as possible to keep my flippy disc going left on the hyzer and not flipping up and over.

I don't know why people think it's such a difficult thing to control. It's really not.
How do you know you're actually varying you spin that much and getting the results you expect? Sure you can get different flights, but you haven't isolated spin on those throws so the flight paths could be different for any number of other reasons. It probably doesn't matter why they fly different as long as you can control it, but I haven't seen anyone actually show that they can control spin independent of speed on a drive.

Here's a thread where a big arm thrower did some actual testing of spin:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...d.php?t=111158

He found that he had a hard time controlling spin by itself. He did show that a friend of his had a different speed to spin ratio, which suggests it's possible to control to some extent, but neither of them seemed to be able to control it, and one of the guys holds the world record for the longest thrown object.

Niced: (2)