Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

View Poll Results: What level player are you & do you try to modulate the amount of spin on your throw?
I'm pretty advanced. I just throw and don't worry about more or less spin. 32 42.67%
I'm pretty advanced. I use different levels of spin to make my discs/shots work. 16 21.33%
I'm not very advanced. I don't worry about putting different levels of spin on my throws. 21 28.00%
I'm not very advanced. I try to control the level of spin on my shots. 6 8.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2017, 11:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 672 Times in 446 Posts

One thing with throwing a disc is that I think it's impossible to change spin without changing speed. Speed comes from arm speed combined with that last second "flinging" of the disc around the grip point. Spin comes from that last part. I have a hard time conceptualizing how one could be changed without affecting the other. I'm sure some can do it to some degree, and I suppose that's why I'm interested in this discussion.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 162 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
One thing with throwing a disc is that I think it's impossible to change spin without changing speed. Speed comes from arm speed combined with that last second "flinging" of the disc around the grip point. Spin comes from that last part. I have a hard time conceptualizing how one could be changed without affecting the other. I'm sure some can do it to some degree, and I suppose that's why I'm interested in this discussion.
At first glance your hypotheis seems correct, but then think about sidearm, and how you have to actively add spin by flicking/whipping it by actively cocking your wrist back and snapping it like a whip during the arm swing.

Backhand is a passive motion when it comes to adding spin. But you can fling putters and ultimate discs 200ft with barely any arm motion but a great active snap from a cocked wrists and actively putting more spin on the disc.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 810 Times in 367 Posts

Comment on the survey options:

The "pretty advanced" vs. "not very advanced" distinction is pretty ambiguous. If you're looking to sort responses between players of different skill levels, then ranges of player ratings would be a more solid basis of comparison. (The current phrasing is more of an ego test, so if you're looking to compare results along those lines then the options are perfect )
Old 03-22-2017, 12:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Comment on the survey options:

The "pretty advanced" vs. "not very advanced" distinction is pretty ambiguous. If you're looking to sort responses between players of different skill levels, then ranges of player ratings would be a more solid basis of comparison. (The current phrasing is more of an ego test, so if you're looking to compare results along those lines then the options are perfect )
Haha yeah. I wanted to let people sort themselves. So ego test it is... I wrote the options and then wasn't real sure which category to put myself in. I like it vague for this one. Slightly better than just a two-answer "spin or no?" poll, I hope.

And the answers are interesting so far.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 209
Niced 315 Times in 169 Posts

I definitely don't throw as well now as I used to but I still try to control spin on my throws to some degree. Mostly it's to control the landing a little better. I try to put enough spin/power behind shorter shots to make sure the disc is running out of spin as it lands, so that it lands softer and doesn't get a lot of action. Same goes with dump hyzers - if I want to make sure they stick and don't go crazy once they hit the ground I try to put less spin on them so they just drop once they hit the ground. Likewise if I want the disc to skip a bunch on landing then I try to put extra spin on it.

I used to be able to control spin to affect the stability of the disc (early turn, late turn, side to side movement on flat shots, etc) but that is not something I can do with any consistency anymore. Who knows if I'll ever practice enough to get that back.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 135
Niced 992 Times in 526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
How do you know you're actually varying you spin that much and getting the results you expect?
I don't know what to say other than "because I can feel how much spin I put on it". Believe, don't believe, whatever. Obviously, I am not a machine, and not every single other variable is exactly the same. But...really? Spin CAN'T be controlled? Come on, man. That's just crazy talk.

It totally blows my mind that people are really trying to argue that spin is some kind of uncontrollable magic variable that just happens and there's nothing you can do about it.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 135
Niced 992 Times in 526 Posts

I think there's a Schusterick video where he talks about going from all power grip shots to throwing all his sub 300' shots with a control grip. He cites better control of the spin as one of the reasons for doing that.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

If even a machine or a robot could somewhat consistently throw a lid (or any disc) forehand or backhand with a certain amount of spin and then throw the same distance with the same disc on the same release angle with more or less spin to the degree that it may appreciably impact the overall flight as people purport, I salute them. That is true control. But I'm pretty damn skeptical. To ask a human to do the same seems laughable.

Claiming you try to put more spin on a short finesse throw vs a spike hyzer upshot is irrelevant because you're throwing different shots that use different mechanics and therefore by their very nature may cause different results. If that's how we define control, then yeah. Sure. Everyone controls and modulates spin all the time by throwing different shots at different speeds with different rim widths on the discs. It's super ****in' easy.

I can throw a lid with a super soft backhand and give it a quick pinch at the end to ensure it has a good and stable flight at low speed. If I didn't, I'd fluff the shot or wobble it way off course. I can throw late turnovers and hyzerflips, hyzers, whatever. None of this is through purposeful manipulation of spin itself. It's by manipulating arm speed, release angles and nose angles, wrist roll, and only in very low speed situations do I vary my grip pressure.

Spin is not an independent variable in our throws.

Sorry to go on a ramble there. I know this is a poll, but that's my opinion on the whole mess. I think what most people refer to as "controlling their spin" is just them getting a better feel for the hit by slowing down their swing or changing grip for a cleaner release, trying to grip harder, etc. All these can cause the sensation of a good and clean pop off the fingers.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 03-22-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 13 Times in 13 Posts

Think of a freestyler throwing a disc with a lot of spin to his partner. He is throwing really hard with a ton of spin but very little forward speed. I think its possible to control spin separate from speed. Not sure how relevant that is to disc golf tho.

Niced: (1)

Old 03-22-2017, 03:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
It totally blows my mind that people are really trying to argue that spin is some kind of uncontrollable magic variable that just happens and there's nothing you can do about it.
I don't think anyone is saying that. But a lot of people think of spin as a natural and inevitable byproduct of good form. Obviously some of us try to change the amount, and others don't.

It's not an uncontrollable magic variable, but I'm not convinced that controlling it is as important as some folks feel. Personally, I think I just let my disc selection do what some of you do with spin. I'm certainly no mold minimalist, and I'm also far from mastering some of the advanced shots you guys are good at.

Last edited by armiller; 03-22-2017 at 03:05 PM.