Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-09-2018, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts
Default DD2

Bit of a strange driver this one is. I had thrown a blizzard one previously, but today I tossed a star DD2 in the bag. Not sure what weight it is, but its in decent condition.

Disc is lightning fast out of the hand. Its perhaps one of the faster drivers I've ever thrown. It isn't overly domey, yet seems to glide well. To me the DD2 is built exactly like a faster DDX. Very wide (yet shallow) rim. This thing is every bit of speed 14. Its faster than a Boss, and you really notice the shallowness of the rim when you throw it.

Really bendy flights for me. Lots of high speed turn, more so than the -2 rating would indicate. I was having trouble at times keeping the DD2 from dive bombing right. The throws I nailed well were downright mesmerizing. HUUGGGEEE S curve bombs that seemed to get where they were going in a split second. The DD2 is an absolute long range bomber. It was keeping up with my Shryke, which few other drivers do. The DD2 responded well to being thrown with a bit of hyzer. Thrown flat I was flipping it. The hyzer release helped quite a bit to keep it straight.

I wouldn't really trust the DD2 with any accurate drives. Its just too understable and finicky. However, if you have a lot of room to work with you can unleash some big power with a DD2. IMO this is a great disc for guys who want a faster Tern or DDX. Very similar flight to either of those. Glide is average to slightly above average.

DD2: 14, 5, -3, 2. A little less stable than I was expecting. I lost it right badly on a few throws. This thing is definitely in the upper echelon of sheer distance discs though. I had a few wicked 450' S curve rips. Those who hate shallow rims should steer well clear of the DD2. Rim is very wide and very shallow. Disc somewhat reminds me of a Nuke SS. Same feel and general flight pattern. Good news is, the DD2 will fade reliably at the end of flight. Even if you turn it over it'll generally come back a bit at the end.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolexi View Post
I think they are actually more consistent than many other drivers. I have 5 C-lines and 3 S-lines. They are all very similar to each others. S-lines are always more stable (basically a Destroyer). The -2 turn rating is not correct. New DD2 does flip only a bit on 400 ft throw.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
I'd agree that they've been pretty consistent for me as well. The couple I've seen from the latest run of C-Line are a little domey with the same PLH as my old Blizzards. I don't get turn out of them fresh out of the box, but they hold straight for what seems like forever.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 123
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 630 Times in 302 Posts

Is the DD2 built on the Tern wing? If so, that explains why the grip is so shallow! I like low profile rim grips, but man oh man does the Tern take it to an entirely new level. They bomb for sure, tho, if you can just get enough grip to put a whip on one. Tern wing with Anhyzer top seems to make sense.

I'd say the reason the DD2 is "underrated" is because there are sooooo many options for that slot already. Katana, Vulcan, Deadalus, some Destroyers, Tern...And that's just from Innova! If the DD2 had come out before all of those, it would be massively popular. But in the modern market, it's just tough to get noticed when most folks already have a disc they know well for their flippy distance bomber.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 757 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Is the DD2 built on the Tern wing?
No. Someone earlier said Katana, but I do not know that.

I like mine, but I save it for windy conditions. It's been forever since I've needed it.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Is the DD2 built on the Tern wing? If so, that explains why the grip is so shallow! I like low profile rim grips, but man oh man does the Tern take it to an entirely new level. They bomb for sure, tho, if you can just get enough grip to put a whip on one. Tern wing with Anhyzer top seems to make sense.

I'd say the reason the DD2 is "underrated" is because there are sooooo many options for that slot already. Katana, Vulcan, Deadalus, some Destroyers, Tern...And that's just from Innova! If the DD2 had come out before all of those, it would be massively popular. But in the modern market, it's just tough to get noticed when most folks already have a disc they know well for their flippy distance bomber.
It seemed to me that the DD2 was built with the DDX wing, which is different than a Tern wing. To me the DD2 looks exactly like a DDX, just with a wider rim. Both are very shallow. The Katana seems to have a completely different rim configuration. I agree there is a big glut of speed 13-14 drivers from Innova.

DD2 is super fast and will go very far without a whole ton of effort.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2018, 02:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 49
Niced 458 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
It seemed to me that the DD2 was built with the DDX wing, which is different than a Tern wing. To me the DD2 looks exactly like a DDX, just with a wider rim. Both are very shallow. The Katana seems to have a completely different rim configuration. I agree there is a big glut of speed 13-14 drivers from Innova.

DD2 is super fast and will go very far without a whole ton of effort.
If only the DD2 wasn't released first... by... 6 years?

DDx is a Tern wing, Discmania Anhyzer top.

DD2 is Katana wing, Discmania Anhyzer top.

That is straight from Jussi's interviews.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 123
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 630 Times in 302 Posts

Thanks for the info Reniger. Do you know what wing the PD2 is? I've heard XCal and Destroyer, but neither seems quite right.

I know that the DD is Wraith wing + Anhyzer top.
I've heard that CD2 is Valk wing + Anhyzer top.

Last edited by ThrowBot; 11-12-2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Sorry for the thread drift!
Old 11-12-2018, 03:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 48
Niced 757 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
It seemed to me that the DD2 was built with the DDX wing, which is different than a Tern wing.
Double no on that one. lol

Old 11-13-2018, 09:21 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 87 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the info Reniger. Do you know what wing the PD2 is? I've heard XCal and Destroyer, but neither seems quite right.

I know that the DD is Wraith wing + Anhyzer top.
I've heard that CD2 is Valk wing + Anhyzer top.
its destroyer + anny top, xcal shares the shame bottom also

Niced: (2)