Old 09-22-2021, 09:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.4
Courses Played: 260
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7,152 Times in 2,456 Posts

I think it was Climo that opined about how little of your time in competition is spent actually throwing a disc. Three or four times a hole, for 15 or 20 seconds? The rest is a walk in the woods with some people you met. Focus your energy on those few short intervals and strive to enjoy the walk. Kenny and I share the the concept, sadly very little of the game part.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 09-22-2021, 10:49 AM
Garrulous Windbag

Courses Played: 16
Niced 286 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I think it was Climo that opined about how little of your time in competition is spent actually throwing a disc. Three or four times a hole, for 15 or 20 seconds? The rest is a walk in the woods with some people you met. Focus your energy on those few short intervals and strive to enjoy the walk. Kenny and I share the the concept, sadly very little of the game part.
Similarly but in contrast too, I focus my energy on the walk and try to enjoy the short intervals of flight. It's not worth being outside for hours just to throw discs. Make the time out there count for something. Look around.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-22-2021, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 122
Niced 4,399 Times in 1,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Similarly but in contrast too, I focus my energy on the walk and try to enjoy the short intervals of flight. It's not worth being outside for hours just to throw discs. Make the time out there count for something. Look around.
Many of my best tournament rounds involve a considerable amount of looking for arrowheads or mushrooms. Helps to not fatigue the mind over dg by not focusing on it when it is not the matter at hand.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:03 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 281
Niced 1,018 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Many of my best tournament rounds involve a considerable amount of looking for arrowheads or mushrooms. Helps to not fatigue the mind over dg by not focusing on it when it is not the matter at hand.
Totally love looking around and vibing with nature during my rounds; however, I cannot look for both mushrooms AND disc golf...both pursuits suffer greatly, and I'm apt to just wander off because xyz area "might be fungusy..."

Birds, trees, other edibles like berries...all good. But mushrooms....*wanders away mumbling about maitake*

Niced: (3)
Old 09-22-2021, 11:40 AM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 37.8
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 301 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
How do you do this and still watch your card mates throw without being slow as molasses?

I used to play baseball with a kid who picked daisy's in the outfield. Spoiler...he never saw the fly ball coming.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-22-2021, 11:44 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 803 Times in 280 Posts

Play shot by shot, not round by round or even hole by hole. Some of my favorite moments aren't parking for a bird but saving for par (or worse).

Niced: (2)
Old 09-22-2021, 11:47 AM

Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
The things I'm not seeing in your post that, to me, are important to know.

1. Were the rounds the same day or different days?
2. If they were on the same day....do you normally play two rounds in one day?
If they were different days....do you normally play two days in a row?

When I started playing tourneys, I found I really sucked the second round, even if it was the same course. Then I realized that I was getting tired/sore since I normally didn't play two rounds in one day or even two consecutive rounds. Now I try to get in two rounds in one day at least once a month so I stay used to it.
The rounds were on the same day, and its my first time playing 2 round in a day.

At the end of the day i was pretty exhausted both physically and mentally. That might have been one of the factors as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Gabetjh, how old are you? This isn't a conclusive factor, but it's a factor.

I think your dramatic reaction to a very predictable occurrence conforms to the doctrines of society. You're doing what you've been taught, and the remedies suggested don't aim to really make you better.
Im 30. But i do get your point.

thank you all for your comments i didnt expect to have so many replies! I was probably too hard on myself as well. I took a few days off disc golf and went out on my course with my girlfriend today and enjoyed my time. Now im practicing on integrating an x step on my throws so it feels like im starting from scratch. I will definitely join more tourneys and learn to get my mental game up on point!

Last edited by gabetjh; 09-22-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 122
Niced 4,399 Times in 1,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
How do you do this and still watch your card mates throw without being slow as molasses?
Looking for stuff is a pretty passive activity that occurs primarily while walking. Being too focused on it reduces effectiveness imo. The key is to "look" and "not look" at the same time. Yesterday for example I was on site at a future course doing design work but came home with several pounds of mushrooms while "not looking" for them.

Even if a player takes their full 30 seconds on every single shot (which almost literally no one does) that still makes their time spent "throwing" around a half hour per round. Multiply that by 4 and you wind up with 2 hours of time dedicated to dg during a round tops. Generally rounds take much longer than that- plenty of time to do other stuff.

Last edited by biscoe; 09-22-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:33 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Tournament

I have been playing for almost 15 years and I think the last tourney I played actually wrecked me. I have had no desire to play tourneys lately and I have played over 150 of them. I am not giving up completely, just need some time before I come back to the game.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Niced 427 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetjh View Post
The rounds were on the same day, and its my first time playing 2 round in a day.

At the end of the day i was pretty exhausted both physically and mentally. That might have been one of the factors as well.
Definitely! This alone can be explanation enough for the bad second round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetjh View Post
Now im practicing on integrating an x step on my throws so it feels like im starting from scratch. I will definitely join more tourneys and learn to get my mental game up on point!
Practice those things, but in a tournament, don't experiment with the newest technique changes, but play the way that you know it works for you. Use it in tournaments only when you feel confident with the new technique and you know it works consistent.