Old 09-23-2021, 11:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,391 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
It took me a little over a year before I entered a weekly mini as rec, and I just wanted to not embarrass myself. Took second and moved to IM after that.

Gotta say OPs result is not a surprise after playing 3 months, being mentally wrecked by it is kinda dramatic though.
I waited a year to stink it up. Cant imagine how bad it would have been at 3 months.

Playing minis/leagues is a great way to bridge the gap between casual play and tournaments.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2021, 01:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 4,440 Times in 1,362 Posts

Way back when, I played for years before I even knew tournaments were a thing. No idea about weeklies or the PDGA. I just knew my friends and I liked to play with our one disc and talk smack to each other. Find the fun first.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:06 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 587 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosley View Post
Gotta ask yourself what you really want out of this hobby. Absolutely nothing wrong with just going to the course and playing casually with no intentions to compete.
This is a good post. It took me a while to realize that paying money to play a too-long round of disc golf with strangers is not something I want to do very often.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-24-2021, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,967 Times in 1,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
I waited a year to stink it up. Can’t imagine how bad it would have been at 3 months.

Playing minis/leagues is a great way to bridge the gap between casual play and tournaments.
Yeah I played for years as a kid for fun and always steered clear of the "pro" crowd.. They took too long.

I'd been back into it for a little while before I joined Sunday doubles, did decent. Especially as a LHBH player, but that first tournament I was not prepared for solo play. The stuff that made me awesome as a dubs partner was not what it took to play solo. Lotta bird to bogey. Too many ace runs to par.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:28 AM
Garrulous Windbag

Courses Played: 16
Niced 286 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
The only throw that matters is the next one
To demonstrate that this kind of talk is by now platitudinous, I recall a passage from quite a while back:

When remedies are past, the griefs are ended
By seeing the worst, which late on hopes depended.
To mourn a mischief that is past and gone
Is the next way to draw new mischief on.
What cannot be preserved when fortune takes,
Patience her injury a mock'ry makes.
The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief.
He robs himself that spends a bootless grief.

That this kind of talk was probably platitudinous even in 1604 is suggested by the suffering Brabantio's irritable response.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-24-2021, 12:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 183
Niced 204 Times in 93 Posts

Others have sort of alluded to it, but I'll just come right out and emphasize it.

Tournament play and casual rounds are really different kinds of experiences. People can enjoy both, but if they do, it's probably for different reasons. Some people prefer one or the other, nothing wrong with that. Problem comes when people expect one to be like the other...inevitably they are disappointed.

Anyway, it's good to keep them separate in your mind, and in your expectations. Comparing your casual rounds to your tournament results is apples and oranges.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-24-2021, 12:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Yeah I played for years as a kid for fun and always steered clear of the "pro" crowd.. They took too long.

I'd been back into it for a little while before I joined Sunday doubles, did decent. Especially as a LHBH player, but that first tournament I was not prepared for solo play. The stuff that made me awesome as a dubs partner was not what it took to play solo. Lotta bird to bogey. Too many ace runs to par.

I was playing a lot of dubs back then as well. Playing solo is very different.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
To demonstrate that this kind of talk is by now platitudinous, I recall a passage from quite a while back:

When remedies are past, the griefs are ended
By seeing the worst, which late on hopes depended.
To mourn a mischief that is past and gone
Is the next way to draw new mischief on.
What cannot be preserved when fortune takes,
Patience her injury a mock'ry makes.
The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief.
He robs himself that spends a bootless grief.

That this kind of talk was probably platitudinous even in 1604 is suggested by the suffering Brabantio's irritable response.
You seem to have disdain for the notion that not everything is complex.

Life has infinite variables and thus seems infinitely complex if you choose to try to grasp all those infinite variables.

Sports attempt to distill life to a simplified structure (rules) and therefore simplified ideas (platitudes) are foundational to success.

And then sports can teach us that we can be more successful in life when we simplify things to the most critical variables and narrow our focus to achieve a desired outcome.

Platitudinous it may seem, but it might just be true and appropriate to the situation.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:47 PM
Garrulous Windbag

Courses Played: 16
Niced 286 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
You seem to have disdain for the notion that not everything is complex.

Life has infinite variables and thus seems infinitely complex if you choose to try to grasp all those infinite variables.

Sports attempt to distill life to a simplified structure (rules) and therefore simplified ideas (platitudes) are foundational to success.

And then sports can teach us that we can be more successful in life when we simplify things to the most critical variables and narrow our focus to achieve a desired outcome.

Platitudinous it may seem, but it might just be true and appropriate to the situation.
"Nothing is simple,
Not even simplification.
Thus, throwing away the mail,
I exchange the complexity of duty
For the simplicity of guilt"

-WB

Old 09-24-2021, 08:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
"Nothing is simple,
Not even simplification.
Thus, throwing away the mail,
I exchange the complexity of duty
For the simplicity of guilt"

-WB
So, if someone offers a positive or optimistic view, its tedious platitudes.

If someone takes something positive and says its still sh!t, you find it interesting and thought provoking.

AP, you are glass half empty dude who says it doesnt matter whether its half empty or its half full because it taste like piss.

I told you my opinion previously and its more apparent to me with each interaction. I hope you will consider what I suggested.