Old 05-25-2015, 05:51 AM

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New member in China

I've been living in China for eight years and playing DG every chance I get during my summers back in the States for the whole time. I've finally decided it's time to start playing here, even though there are no courses and few suitable places to play here in the city. I'll be poking around from time to time and hopefully asking more and more questions about DIY targets and course design - one dream is to get permission to set up a course somewhere nearby. I've been playing in a pretty good location where it's highly unlikely there will be any development, but they use it as a tree farm for city landscaping projects, so I'm not sure it would be a viable location for a permanent course. Either way, here's hoping we can spread the sport even further.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 150
Niced 12 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ElementZ

You miss every shot you don't take! Ask often to get a course somewhere!
Old 05-25-2015, 11:55 PM

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementZ View Post
You miss every shot you don't take! Ask often to get a course somewhere!
Good advice that I need to be well aware of - I'm good at ideas, bad at initiative, and that's not gonna get me anywhere. I'm hoping to get some time to scout out some college campuses to see which ones would have some potential for courses. The tree farm is nice for run-ahead-and-set-a-target play, but getting the game on college campuses would motivate growth, while a random course on top of a traffic tunnel (where the tree farm is located) would make it harder to promote the sport.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 29
Niced 86 Times in 70 Posts

Welcome from TX!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37.2
Courses Played: 86
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Welcome to the site. While driving through Russell County Arkansas last month I stopped for the night at a Best Western. While eating breakfast the next morning, an older gentleman commented on my Disc golf shirt. He said he had a son in China that loves to play disc golf an trying to bring DG to China. I realize the chances are slim, but are you from Arkansas and is your Pops a graduate of Arkansas Tech college. I ask because the old man "Herb" was such a cool old man who knew the history of the area and regaled me with stories about the outlaws that roamed the area a century and a half ago.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 46
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

^^^ really hoping that worlds did just collide.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 28
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default China had disc golf

Lived in Beijing in 2006-07. There used to be a basket course in Beijing back in 2006. In the eastern suburb of Tongzhou there used to be an American that was brought in to run the Altoi (sic) Sports Stadium for the Olympics. No official sporting events here held but they were planning on hosting a couple of concerts.
Latitude 39 54 33.0
Longitude 116 40 42.9

The guy had a local build some baskets and had them installed along the water front. Short but fun. The course lasted 6 months until a local official walked along didn't know what they were and had them removed.

I threw a couple of times in Chaoyang Park. I wanted to throw a couple in Tienanmen Square just to say I had but guaranteed I'd get toss off the square for doing so. I did launch one from the Great Wall near Simitai, fun to watch it sail off into the distance.

Good luck. Steve
Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37.2
Courses Played: 86
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by namar View Post
^^^ really hoping that worlds did just collide.
Yes. I only mention it because old Herb made an impression. Could've talked to him for hours if I had the time. And he was quite proud of his son's accomplishments.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:40 AM

Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dragon View Post
I've been living in China for eight years and playing DG every chance I get during my summers back in the States for the whole time. I've finally decided it's time to start playing here, even though there are no courses and few suitable places to play here in the city. I'll be poking around from time to time and hopefully asking more and more questions about DIY targets and course design - one dream is to get permission to set up a course somewhere nearby. I've been playing in a pretty good location where it's highly unlikely there will be any development, but they use it as a tree farm for city landscaping projects, so I'm not sure it would be a viable location for a permanent course. Either way, here's hoping we can spread the sport even further.
Maybe contact yikun ? Might be able to sell you inexpensive basket or direct you to a "local" course?

http://www.yikunsports.com/en/

Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 143 Times in 77 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Good luck with getting a course installed.
I hope the guy hipster talked to is the OPs Dad.