Old 10-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Spirit is a little faster than I'm looking for. I just threw a Monster. And it didn't flip hardly at all, it was kinda weird. A Scythe flips better, so that's out.

Thinking between a Felon, XXX, or Trident. I may just pick up a Trident anyway, I'm intrigued.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 212 Times in 178 Posts

The Monster may beat in better, but I think you might like theTrident a lot. I can throw it on any FH shot up to 300 or so with quite good accuracy. It is very shallow with a small rim but I would rate it more like a speed 6or 7 than the 5 they give it.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 55
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been having trouble overhanding my Resistor/Motion, they just don't want to flip. A couple weeks ago at a tournament I picked up a H1 and it was exactly what I was looking for.
I used to throw opto tridents and overhanded those a lot. I don't know why I didn't go back to them haha
Old 10-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

A new flat champ monster x is great for long distance thumbers. It's just a slightly wider rimmed FAF firebird, the star max is also extremely similar just with the rim width of an xcal. The trident is an exact copy of an FL, very chunky nose but definitely not as overstable as these other guys. The xXx is very much a beefy firebird, but generally not -quite- as beefy as the FAF firebirds. The H1 is a great choice because it is also very much a firebird but a hair lower profile and possibly even more meathooky than a FAF firebird. The felon is very much like a xXx but tends to mold up a little flatter, hair wider rim, and less chunky and overstable, about the stability of a trident. The flick would be my choice, slightly wider rim than a monster, slightly less than a max, but much lower profile than any of these discs. Yet it is nasty overstable, amazing thumber disc.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:41 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I'm going to get a Flick the Felon just isn't turning fast enough, maybe I'm not getting enough spin on it. The Ascent was perfect for me. Such a shame. I microwaved it, and it helped a little, it's not flippy, but it still doesn't fade like it use too, and turns too fast overhead.

I've also been looking at a Westside stag. Similar to the Ascent, but with more glide.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 16
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I used to use r pro bosses. Then overhand shots starting hurting my back and shoudler too much. So no more of those.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 22 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrilah Fish View Post
The Spirit is a little faster than I'm looking for. I just threw a Monster. And it didn't flip hardly at all, it was kinda weird. A Scythe flips better, so that's out.

Thinking between a Felon, XXX, or Trident. I may just pick up a Trident anyway, I'm intrigued.
I find this statement odd because the discs that I get the most distance out of overhand are the ones that flip REALLY SLOWLY. I have taken a Stiletto out to the field alongside a FAF firebird and I get 10-20% more distance out of the FAF firebird just because it makes the turn so slowly that it spend a ton of time on it's back gliding instead of making the barrel roll quickly.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not really looking for a distance thumber, just one that is consistent, right amount of spin, and is accurate.

Seriously the Ascent was PERFECT. I had several Overhands fall right into the basket, but it just doesn't flip as fast anymore, and on a normal shot it actually turns now.
I microwaved it, and it helped, but it's not the same.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 24
Niced 28 Times in 17 Posts

I liked the Ascent for OH as well. The XXX is nothing like it. WAY more OS, significantly shorter and will move more from left to right in the air. The Ascent (for me at least) was not a distance disc, it was a precision disc. It did a nice tight roll and landed close to the line that I released it on. For me the most similar disc has been a Champ Teebird. I use that for placement/precision thumber shots, and use a Resistor when I want a little more distance.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 114
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I throw a lot of overhand, have used flicks firebirds, bosses, beasts, ascents, traks and many others.

My main go to that I use for control both on high and low shots, skips and rolls is the discraft mantis. I am still throwing mine from the 2013 Ace Race in Ti plastic and haven't even touched my second because it is backup in case I lost my active one. I probably throw this disc more than any other and it has taken very heavy abuse with relatively little damage. I believe it is a 173g.

This disc seems very similar to my ascent but has not lost stability in 2 years. Never tried the Z version so I can't speak for it but my distance OH disc is the Discraft Z Venom (hard to find). Also has been ridden hard with little damage and still keeps the OH properties I want.