* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 355
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7,607 Times in 3,081 Posts

Whut is a putt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Jefferson Clinton
It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2021, 11:19 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 26
Niced 719 Times in 368 Posts

If I have to throw an overhand inside the circle because I put myself in the shrubbery, I don’t think anyone watching would say that I was putting. They'd track it as a C1x shot, so it would go in my putting stats; I’d need to comply with the stance rules for shots played inside the circle, so the rule book might conveniently call it a “putt”; but, all that proves is that stats lie and rules never cover everything.

Language is always contextual. Designers definitely envision players using putting strokes outside the circle, and they design with the idea that these are makeable shots. That’s all that really matters. Not what you call it.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-28-2021, 11:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,398 Times in 706 Posts

The intent is the context of this thread and basket size/putting/entertainment value.

If you see someone throwing at the basket from 40’ using a putting motion you call it a putt. If someone is in a jungle 20’ from the basket (Mason Ford this weekend) he’s clearly scrambling.

In the context of improving disc golf, people putt from c2 plus.

I brought up the rules discussion because OMD was arguing anything beyond c1 is not a putt.

Steve has argued context in regards to the rules in exactly the opposite manner before.

ToddL might jump in and say that’s what was meant (one way or the other), but clearly the PDGA doesn’t actually care what you call a throw from 40’. It cares about what is addressed in the rules which is a throw inside 10 meters, defined as a putt.

Derived from Bolf. Which had a clear break between putting surface and fairway. The grass is cut differently.

DG simply has a distance which is fixed and arbitrary. In golf, the surface may undulate, but there are no obstructions and if there are, you can move or correct them. In DG, you could have a forest inside C1 and it wouldn’t matter.

A putt is a putt and you know it when you see it. Life is analog. Not digital.

Old Today, 12:24 AM
Size Queen

Niced 408 Times in 282 Posts

So what/if any are the disadvantages of the pro's using a smaller target?
Old Today, 12:33 AM
Size Queen

Niced 408 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
The intent is the context of this thread and basket size/putting/entertainment value.

If you see someone throwing at the basket from 40’ using a putting motion you call it a putt. If someone is in a jungle 20’ from the basket (Mason Ford this weekend) he’s clearly scrambling.

In the context of improving disc golf, people putt from c2 plus.

I brought up the rules discussion because OMD was arguing anything beyond c1 is not a putt.

Steve has argued context in regards to the rules in exactly the opposite manner before.

ToddL might jump in and say that’s what was meant (one way or the other), but clearly the PDGA doesn’t actually care what you call a throw from 40’. It cares about what is addressed in the rules which is a throw inside 10 meters, defined as a putt.

Derived from Bolf. Which had a clear break between putting surface and fairway. The grass is cut differently.

DG simply has a distance which is fixed and arbitrary. In golf, the surface may undulate, but there are no obstructions and if there are, you can move or correct them. In DG, you could have a forest inside C1 and it wouldn’t matter.

A putt is a putt and you know it when you see it. Life is analog. Not digital.
If we are putting from further away then Bolf shouldn't we have a smaller target the Bolf?

Old Today, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.5
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 4,446 Times in 1,365 Posts