Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 677
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,454 Times in 659 Posts

No other sponsor at this point could come up with sufficient financing along with year round staff that does various things to prepare and later run it. I suspect they've briefly considered course/site alternatives. But when you have Winthrop University embedded in this event, I don't see it changing for a long time unless either Innova or Winthrop get tired of it. Wasn't Dodge suggesting another Major or two be developed?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apparition View Post
Wow... All those OB throws were without penalty and they just rethrew until they had a good throw?!
Every throw they made counted. Those were not mulligans.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 913
Niced 78 Times in 44 Posts

Nevermind....
Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,037 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swed View Post
yup, exactly if it ain't broke well than

change it, horrible

make up new rules
From the beginning, the USDGC has experimented with new concepts. Some worked, some didn't.

It is their ballgame. Anyone else who wants can create their own prestigious event to compete and surpass the USDGC, but until someone steps up and does I, for one, am inclined to cut Harold, Jonathan, et al a little slack.

In the meantime, is it "broke"? The people paying the bills seem to think so.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Every throw they made counted. Those were not mulligans.
It might be helpful to note that in some cases, the rethrow without penalty is more punitive than taking a stroke and playing it where it went O.B.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 PM

I'm not saying I'm a fan of how the USDGC does the buncr rule, partly because it's turned people away from using buncrs on courses as originally intended. However, the USDGC buncr rule is still more fair than throw and distance for most of the areas where they have marked hazards. I'll be interested to see how their new proposal for this year works in selected locations IF they decide to use it which is apparently still up in the air.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

I'm not a fan of it, either. I'd prefer they use standard O.B. rules, except perhaps #17.

But I remember thinking they were wrong with all the rope, and the $200+ entry fee, and the single division, and the limited entry/qualifier, and one round per day, and the island hole, and.....
Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 99
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
I'm not saying I'm a fan of how the USDGC does the buncr rule, partly because it's turned people away from using buncrs on courses as originally intended. However, the USDGC buncr rule is still more fair than throw and distance for most of the areas where they have marked hazards. I'll be interested to see how their new proposal for this year works in selected locations IF they decide to use it which is apparently still up in the air.
Chuck has there a point in time that rounds from the USDGC were not applied to any of the players rating. Can it be quantified as to when modifying rules of a game is creating enough change that it is a new game? I know it is important for the TDs of the USDGC to stay on the "cutting edge" of disc golf, but how can the PDGA create uniformity when they allow different sanctions in the rules every year. Hey do we need a new thread?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 136
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Hey Chuck, On the PDGA Forum last year you mentioned the possibility that the BunCR rule would make it into the main rules. I don't see it there, nor in the comp manual.

A tournament here is possibly adding a BunCR around the green on some holes. I'm not sure exactly what he will end up trying, but it sounded like his idea was to rope some OB areas behind the baskets and create a Dropzone further away from the basket from which the OB player must putt.

I suggested that this is within the current rules if a penalty throw is included, but not if the lie is just relocated with no penalty. I looked all over for the BunCR in 805.03 and 806, but can't find language that allows it without Tour Manager approval.

The Bluebonnet Q&A comes closest, but doesn't seem to specifically allow a drop zone for a casual obstacle. Does it do so? If so, the language should probably be clarified as I could easily argue this either way if I had a dog in the fight.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 PM

The buncr is just the name for the Special Conditions rule that allows you to specify a drop zone or extended relief for a casual relief area with no penalty:

805.03 B http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-r...ial-conditions

803.01 B http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-r...les-and-relief

The only restriction with a buncr setup is the player is required to take the specified relief whereas a player has the choice for taking relief when landing in a regular casual relief area.