Old 06-06-2013, 11:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,595 Times in 1,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The Winthrop course was never going to be like a wooded course. But it's what they had to work with. All the staff has done over the years was try to come up with fair ways to challenge the top players without enough trees. All of the elements have busted the chops of some players whether by raising scoring or psychologically. Some elements have been shown to be more elegant and fair than others and may or may not be liked by some players. Regardless, there's no "right" way to emulate trees but with trees. So we'll continue to see various attempts to find ways that seem to work or perhaps are just "evil" in the minds of the players.

I know some players have liked the way it was in certain years and want to freeze it in time. But part of the challenge the USDGC hosts have in mind is keeping these top players off balance and from getting complacent since it's the same venue each year. So some of the elements they try you're going to like and some you won't. The thing I believe you can count on is that at least something will be different each year.
This might be a stupid question, but why is one of the most prestigious events held at Winthrop every year?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
If you've taken away the "last point IB" option on your island hole, apparently you now need a waiver for that.
Could this be circumvented by declaring the non-island area to be an 803.01B Casual Obstacle (BunCR), declaring a drop zone with penalty under 805.03B and just not calling it OB?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
This might be a stupid question, but why is one of the most prestigious events held at Winthrop every year?
Short answer: because you haven't set up your even more prestigious major event yet.

Why they have the name: perhaps it's almost like why DGA got to have their name... They got to it first.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 47
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Hill View Post
Short answer: because you haven't set up your even more prestigious major event yet.

Why they have the name: perhaps it's almost like why DGA got to have their name... They got to it first.

I think the really short answer would just be Innova.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 455
Niced 24 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonDrehle View Post
I think the really short answer would just be Innova.
Yep. Innova's event is in Innova's backyard. I reckon it's easiest to keep it in Rock Hill but the options are not vast in that town. The closest other option would be Charlotte but that's to far. Plus Charlotte courses make Avery cry and nobody likes to see the big guy cry.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,037 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Why is the biggest tournament every year in Bowling Green, Kentucky?

Why is the effective season opener always in Arizona?

It bears repeating that the PDGA did not create a prestigious tournament and plant it in Rock Hill. The people in Rock Hill created a prestigious tournament. The PDGA's involvement was designating it a "Major", but that was almost inescapable.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 132
Niced 916 Times in 407 Posts

The answer to almost every question of "why is ____ tournament in ______?" is someone there wanted to run it.

The PDGA doesn't seek out event hosts nor should they. It is only up to them whether the club / person is capable of running the requested event and if the venue is appropriate from that point.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 220
Niced 56 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
The waiver requirement didn't show up until the 2013 rulebook effective Jan 1.
So I'm guessing the Texas State Open got a waiver for hole #10 this year? Player had to throw from the drop zone instead of where the shot went OB near the basket. I know someone who got 2 stroke penalty for throwing from the "traditional" OB spot. I know the Lucky 13 in Republic, MO didn't get one and had several "must throw from drop zone" holes. GBO on hole 18 at Country Club had a drop zone from drive only, after that was regular OB. Seems like a lot of tournaments are either getting waivers or perhaps our TDs are missing this factor since it's a new requirement.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 119
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Am I mis-remembering, or was USDGC not even sanctioned the first few years. Seems like it was even a "Major" before it was sanctioned. Strange, I know.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 119
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
Am I mis-remembering, or was USDGC not even sanctioned the first few years. Seems like it was even a "Major" before it was sanctioned. Strange, I know.
From Oct 2003:

Bill Burns -
"
Despite the link to the USDGC on the PDGA homepage, this is not a PDGA tournament. As a normal rule, invitationals, unless they are for a PDGA national or world title, are not eligible for PDGA sanctioning.

Anyone from the peanut gallery confirm this? I seem to recall past posts from Harold when some posters were moaning about something he was doing, and he said that he strived to line up with PDGA guidelines whenever possible, despite this not being a PDGA-sanctioned tournament.

Here's food for thought:

Since the website is promoting a non-PDGA event, do the organizers of the Southern Nationals next year have any right to expect similar treatment?

Does Joe Blow running a non-sanctioned mini expect that same treatment?

Has the PDGA set a precendent that it should not have set?

This is in NO WAY smack talking about Harold Duvall and the USDGC. I have the highest regard for Harold and this tournament. It's just unfortunate that this tournament could not be PDGA-sanctioned, so it would be easier to justify using the website of the PDGA, which is supported greatly by PDGA-registered players, and entry fees from PDGA tournaments.
"

Nick Kight -
"
Bill, you are mistaken. Invitationals are absolutely permitted to be PDGA Sanctioned and PDGA points are provided for them.

I know this because I am running one. The MADC Invitational. You simply need to get approval from the Competition Director.

These invitationals are currently rare, but they are not outside the interests or the bounds of PDGA sanctioning. A sanctioning fee is assessed, $2 per player is assessed, PDGA insurance is optioned, and in many cases PDGA points are offered. Majors, invitational or not, usually (if not always) do not award PDGA points.

The USDGC is a Sanctioned PDGA Major Event.

Hope this has clarified the situation for you.
"

Anonymous -
"
The USDGC is a PDGA Major Event. This is the first year a structured agreement is in place between the PDGA and the USDGC organizing committee.
"