Old 08-22-2017, 10:48 AM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

Niced 124 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserFlip View Post
I hope the vertex actually has axis/vector core. Not sure why it was first compared to the matrix though... To my eye, looking at PDGA's approval specs doesn't quite confirm either core, but I'd guess it's more similar to the axis than matrix (inner diameter & rim depth).

Anyway, Axis-US FTW!
Vertex is based on the Axis/Vector/everything-but-Matrix core. I was wrong and super loud about it, but I had it in my head from a long time ago. It is indeed the oldschool mid core.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-22-2017, 11:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 560 Times in 410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartedale View Post
i dont know if this had already been covered, but since MVP is all about the rim is there a difference in stability btw proton, neutron and plasma? I threw a fh only round with my plasma envy today and I couldn't believe it held a lazer straight line up to 270. will a proton have some fade?
From my experience Plasma is Least Stable, Neutron, then Proton.

I picked up a New ENVY in Plasma and it was immediately straighter with less fade than my Neutrons

Last edited by ThomasOrion; 08-22-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 33 Times in 22 Posts

Proton/Neutron are identical to me. Neutron has more grip but after that it's just color. Plasma seems to be less stable initially. But I've only thrown a Volt. My Plasma Anode flies identical to the rest.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajpity View Post
Proton/Neutron are identical to me. Neutron has more grip but after that it's just color. Plasma seems to be less stable initially. But I've only thrown a Volt. My Plasma Anode flies identical to the rest.
For interests sake, my findings are generally the same, with notable exceptions. FWIW, I'd read the Plasma Volt was run in a lower PLH mold used for Neutron Volts, rather than the slightly higher PLH mold used for the Proton and Fission Volts which fits your findings.

Speaking generally - With MVP, I rely on weight more than plastic to adjust stability and tend to buy whatever looks easiest to find. That said, all things being equal, I'd buy a Proton to hedge my bets on more stable if that's what I was looking for. It seems to be where the more stable tweak of the Volt sits and potentially any other such tweaks.

Something to keep in mind with overmolding is that it features a core which is produced and cools separate from the wing, so the various cooling rates of Neutron, Proton, etc should have no bearing on the shape of the wing. MVP wings are all molded from the same material (presumably) being all black, which should have the similar cooling rates regardless of core, lending to the homogenous stability and consistency of a mold over various plastics and runs (perhaps their single greatest achievement).

Anyway, that's my take on it - on lunch and felt like rambling...
Old 08-22-2017, 03:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 44
Niced 665 Times in 388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePiRaTE View Post
MVP wings are all molded from the same material (presumably) being all black
No, this is incorrect. MVP have said that the overmold material must match the core material because otherwise they can't get a good bond between them. The overmolds all look the same (more or less), but Neutron, Proton, and Plasma overmolds are actually different materials.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
No, this is incorrect. MVP have said that the overmold material must match the core material because otherwise they can't get a good bond between them. The overmolds all look the same (more or less), but Neutron, Proton, and Plasma overmolds are actually different materials.
Thanks for the info, I do recall reading that as well. I wonder if that affects the core blends or the wing blends in equal measure or if there is a control group?
Old 08-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 24
Niced 84 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
I do believe plasma overmolds will bond to proton and neutron.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 108 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
Vertex is based on the Axis/Vector/everything-but-Matrix core. I was wrong and super loud about it, but I had it in my head from a long time ago. It is indeed the oldschool mid core.
Wait, it's the matrix core or the axis core? (Beaded or nonbeaded)?
Old 08-22-2017, 06:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 21
Niced 68 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwindacatcher View Post
Truth! Worst part is they have brighter proton, but they made the matrix in all horriblely hard to find colors.

i like neutron because they stick out better.

and i am still new to the whole mvp/axiom party.. still working my way through the molds to figure out what works best.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:14 PM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

Niced 124 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
No, there are basically 4 overmold blends: one matched to Electron, one experimental urethane with Plasma vibes that can go on anything but Electron, the normal urethane that goes on Neutron/Proton/Fission/Plasma, and then a glow version of urethane used for Eclipse.

The normal black overmold can match to all the urethane/premium plastics. Only Electron/baseline needs its own formula. It only has to match a plastic family, not the subtype of plastic.

Hope that makes sense.

Closed Thread