Old 08-20-2018, 01:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,038 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
B-tier. I can't run a B-tier with no player pack. Obviously I can do this with a C-tier, and have done so on many occasions over the years. If the PDGA were to waive the player pack requirement provided the entry fee was below X dollars, that would be the best of all worlds.
Can you do it as a C-tier, if you don't have greens fees or other pass-through expenses to account for the rest of the entry?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2018, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,256 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Can you do it as a C-tier, if you don't have greens fees or other pass-through expenses to account for the rest of the entry?
Without greens fees in the traditional and presumably intended meaning of the term, probably not.

I'm sure that greens fees are included by the PDGA as an allowable pass-through fee because of private, pay-to-play courses like mine (and yours). But if they want to allow for a more liberal interpretation of the term, and consider greens fees as a general TD fee from which he pays for use of the course (public or private) and can use the remainder how he sees fit including paying himself, then it could work under current rules.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-20-2018, 02:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 773 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'm proposing low-entry ($10-$25), no players pack, no prize payouts, trophy-only; money to TD (club, etc.) for expenses, PDGA fees, profit, whatever. For my entry, I get a tournament.

You don't see many people paying $10 to show up and play for absolutely nothing. Maybe you're right. Let's try it. Maybe I'm in a minority, but a large enough minority to make it work. Earlier in this thread people cited events that filled under just this formula. Lots of other amateur sports manage to work this way: pay your entry, compete in an organized event, period. Maybe disc golf can't; maybe we're too addicted to "stuff". But could we at least try, and see?
You should start a new thread based on this. I think it's time to consider low cost entry fees, no player pack, no merch winnings, JUST trophy only..like you said. But it would need to be a decent trophy, not a framed print of the event poster, etc.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,967 Times in 2,109 Posts

The etched glass ones I have seen are pretty nice. Also have seen a few where they mounted a tourney stamped disc on a wooden plaque that were pretty decent... Your basic youth soccer team gilded plastic trophies I think would be rather meh...

… I bet MartinD could make some sweet trophies.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 6
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
I would like to apologize to Tyler because Teemkey is 100% correct. The responsibility for the quality of the published writing belongs to the editors of Ultiworld, not Tyler.

Tyler did a great job starting a discussion. From his discussion, many folks learned that the PDGA already allows tournament directors a great deal of flexibility when running events. Players and potential TD's learned events DON'T have to offer all the Am divisions. We all learned MA4 doesn't exist in North Carolina yet it is a thriving division in Illinois.

Tyler is welcome to lead by example and try his divisional ideas at his next PDGA events. Then Tyler can let us know how well it works. It could be a perfect solution for events in his area.

Thank you for the discussion Tyler.
Thanks for your response. I just circled back to this forum after being away for a few weeks.

I am very glad that I authored the piece and helped spark this conversation. I would love if the PDGA were willing to to a bit more to set precedents and expectations as well as clearly lay out good options for TDs and help support and resource them.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:52 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.3
Courses Played: 344
Niced 1,580 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
You should start a new thread based on this. I think it's time to consider low cost entry fees, no player pack, no merch winnings, JUST trophy only..like you said. But it would need to be a decent trophy, not a framed print of the event poster, etc.
For older players, the trophy is a negative. They have enough valueless stuff in their house that is too "precious" to throw away.

They want the experience. Ratings make it real. On-line archives make it last.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:41 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 679 Times in 584 Posts

At one point didn't PDGA have a D-tier events that were made to set up just this way some of you want? Why did the PDGA get rid of them?
Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 67
Niced 236 Times in 128 Posts

D tiers were for developmental areas i.e. areas that were new to the PDGA tournament scene.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,256 Times in 1,365 Posts

Yes, D-tiers were a short-lived tier aimed at growing interest in the PDGA in areas that were light on PDGA membership and/or events. The highlights were a low sanctioning fee ($25), low per-player fee ($1 I believe), and no non-member fees. Other than that, it gave no more freedom of format than you have at a C-tier, with all the same requirements.

D-tier was replaced by the Competitive Endowment Program.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 773 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
For older players, the trophy is a negative. They have enough valueless stuff in their house that is too "precious" to throw away.

They want the experience. Ratings make it real. On-line archives make it last.
For older players who have been playing for decades I would agree. For older players, relatively new to the game, I would disagree.