Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-13-2018, 07:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 74
Niced 128 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
Isn't that every disc? Destroyers are probably the most popular disc ever made and they are more inconsistent than anything I have thrown. I actually find prodigy to be fairly consistent if you stay within a weight range and a plastic.

For example: all my 170's d2's in 400g fly the same. All my 450 se's fly the same and are a bir more overstable than then 400g's. While all my 170's d2's in 750g fly very similar to my 400g's. If I get iunto the 160's they are a bit straighter. But you find that with ever disc from every company. Champ or lucid is usually more overstable than pro or biofuzion.
Until they can cool discs out of the mold in a humidity and temperature controlled environment, they will always be inconsistent.

Destroyers are so "inconsistent" because they produce so many runs. Each color and weight is a different run.. Even a stack of 30 destroyers all same color and weight from a box at Innova have different flights because it is plastic.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2018, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 655 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
Have you guys actually thrown any of them? The rims feel completely different with the X series being a noticeably thinner profile. I would say they are faster out of the hand and supposed to give better release on sidearms as well.
I haven't thrown any of the Xs. Thrown a D2 and D3 though. Like them both. Good bombers. D2 is sort of like a Boss, and the D3 is like a Shryke.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 26
Niced 175 Times in 104 Posts

The D2 is a destroyer IMO. D1 PD2. The Shryke is a good description of a d3. I think the D4 is a bit Ternish. I have not thrown either of the D4 or D5's.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 114
Niced 67 Times in 31 Posts

The X series is thinner, has a shallower rim. The D series because they're deeper and have more dome glide better.
I throw a lot of Prodigy drivers.

For those that need comparisons this is how I compare them to other discs:
D1 = XCal
D2 = Destroyer (D2 doesn't fade as hard and it pushes forward more during the LSS fade)
D3 = Tern
X2 = Beat in Destroyer with no glide
Proto D1 (the flat ones) = C-Line PD2
TFR 400 D2 (flat) = really freaking overstable

The 400 X2s I've thrown had some turn right out of the box. Good for hyzerfip backhands and flip up forehands. They're great for forehands if your forehand doesn't force over the disc, otherwise throw an overstable D2 or a D1.

I'm never throwing an X2 for max distance, mostly for a very controlled shot that's farther than I can get a Thunderbird. For Max Distance I throw a 400G D3 on a long mid flex or I'll push a D2 over out of my hand a little knowing it'll come back at the end. It depends on the wind and the shape of the fairway.

I think they made the X series because they wanted to make more discs to sell. Most of the major manufacturers have a lot more molds in their line up.

The X4s are very too understable for me to use effectively.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-15-2018, 01:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 655 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb3 View Post
The X series is thinner, has a shallower rim. The D series because they're deeper and have more dome glide better.
I throw a lot of Prodigy drivers.

For those that need comparisons this is how I compare them to other discs:
D1 = XCal
D2 = Destroyer (D2 doesn't fade as hard and it pushes forward more during the LSS fade)
D3 = Tern
X2 = Beat in Destroyer with no glide
Proto D1 (the flat ones) = C-Line PD2
TFR 400 D2 (flat) = really freaking overstable

The 400 X2s I've thrown had some turn right out of the box. Good for hyzerfip backhands and flip up forehands. They're great for forehands if your forehand doesn't force over the disc, otherwise throw an overstable D2 or a D1.

I'm never throwing an X2 for max distance, mostly for a very controlled shot that's farther than I can get a Thunderbird. For Max Distance I throw a 400G D3 on a long mid flex or I'll push a D2 over out of my hand a little knowing it'll come back at the end. It depends on the wind and the shape of the fairway.

I think they made the X series because they wanted to make more discs to sell. Most of the major manufacturers have a lot more molds in their line up.

The X4s are very too understable for me to use effectively.
I have 1 D2 and a couple D3s. My D2 flies more like a Boss. It'll stretch out further than a Destroyer, with better glide and less late fade. The D3 for me is like a Shryke. Same speed, glide, and distance. Huge bomber, fairly flippy.

I just found an X2. I'll have to give it some throws and see how it goes.