Old 01-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts
Default Course Design First Draft

I have got the first draft of my totally wooded course designed. This is a rough draft that I plan on walking a few 100 more times, but so far I have a few really cool hole ideas. The first uses the pond, the hole is 350ish feet reaching the pond about 250 in with about 60-70ft to cross the pond to the putting green. This will make players decide to run it or not. The other is a 450ft turnover down a logging trail that is down hill making it a Pro par 3 and Am par 4.

This is the rough layout, I know you all can't tell much, but do you see any crazy repeats in the design?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disc Golf Course Layout.jpg (84.4 KB, 50 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2019, 06:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,035 Times in 1,365 Posts

Can't tell much from that.

One of the things I did when we were first designing holes for our course, was to make a list of them and rate each one by degree of handedness: L+3 (severe lefty hole, righty likely to lose a stroke), L+2 (lefty hole, righty has a chance to keep up with an excellent shot), L+1 (slight advantage to lefty), 0 (neutral), R+1, R+2, R+3. Assuming backhand-only throws; you can substitute forehand for lefty, and assume all righthanded players.

It gave me a way to see the balance, not just L vs. R, but the degree of those. Too often, a course seems to have an even mix, but the righty holes are sharp hyzers, and the lefty holes are not. Or a hole bends right, but actually favors a righty turnover over a lefty fade.

That list also showed me pars and lengths, better displaying variety and whether there was a stretch of too many short holes, or long holes, in a row.

None of which may help you, but that's how I did it. It won't show whether the holes are good, or the transitions, or any of that, but it will help show the balance and any crazy repeats.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,606 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post

One of the things I did when we were first designing holes for our course, was to make a list of them and rate each one by degree of handedness: L+3 (severe lefty hole, righty likely to lose a stroke), L+2 (lefty hole, righty has a chance to keep up with an excellent shot), L+1 (slight advantage to lefty), 0 (neutral), R+1, R+2, R+3. Assuming backhand-only throws; you can substitute forehand for lefty, and assume all righthanded players.

It gave me a way to see the balance, not just L vs. R, but the degree of those. Too often, a course seems to have an even mix, but the righty holes are sharp hyzers, and the lefty holes are not. Or a hole bends right, but actually favors a righty turnover over a lefty fade.

That list also showed me pars and lengths, better displaying variety and whether there was a stretch of too many short holes, or long holes, in a row.

None of which may help you, but that's how I did it. It won't show whether the holes are good, or the transitions, or any of that, but it will help show the balance and any crazy repeats.
I inevitably make a list of this sort in the development of a course as well.

Niced: (1)

Old 01-19-2019, 11:28 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post

That is very smart, I will have to do that. i have one that could be L+100 haha