Old 02-28-2019, 08:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 107 Times in 42 Posts
Default Dirt tee pad help

Had a big event here and some of the dirt tee pads got chewed up quite a bit, so just wondering how you all go about hardening them?

I cant get a machine to most of the tees, so looking at a tamper with water. Havent had rain for a while, so cant rely on mother nature to wash them in either.

Any help/suggestions?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 124 Times in 44 Posts

We add a layer of 3/4 to dust road base (made of crushed limestone and stone dust) on top of our natural tee pads. Over time it mixes with the dirt and packs down into a hard surface that drains well and reduces the amount of mud and standing water on the pad.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,617 Times in 717 Posts

Hawk Hollow had completely natural tees for a long time and is a pasture so they get trampled by cattle. If they are on holes where the added width doesn't matter (doesn't allow for a different line, etc) I like to make them about 20 feet wide so players can find the spot which offends them the least. Almost anything you do to them when they are dry without adding material is going to wind up eroding back away. For holes with tight lines where the precise tee location is important (or holes where you simply don't have space for something larger) the best cheap solution is dumpster carpet.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 84
Niced 1,358 Times in 592 Posts

Really depends on the type of material that's there. A clay-ish driveway gravel to surface over is probably best I would think. If you're going to use a tamper like that it's always helpful to wet the material prior to tamping. Not a soaking where you make mud but just enough to make it...wait for it...moist... I don't have a lot of experience with dealing with dirt tees but I would think making sure they drain well would help immensely. This can be done by ditching water away from the tee or elevating the tee slightly from the surrounding ground and making sure the tee has no low spots to pond water.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:05 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts

I have seen place that people put those industrial rubber kitchen mats at the front of the tee box where people plant their foot. This causes more grip in the front and the boxes from being chewed up as bad. Just a thought. You can get 4 3ft x 3ft squares for like 60 bucks.