Old 04-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 260 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Is Simon commonly considered an elite putter? I feel like Simon is an elite player despite his putting, not because of it. He makes some highlight putts, but he also misses more than his fair share of putts inside 22'. I have no data to back up my opinion, so you're welcome to correct me if I'm wrong. But it seems like putting and course management are the only things holding him back from being even better than he already is.
He ranked 12th in C1x putting and 13th in C2 for 2018. Both pretty solid among "elite" players.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 24
Niced 703 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Is Simon commonly considered an elite putter? I feel like Simon is an elite player despite his putting, not because of it. He makes some highlight putts, but he also misses more than his fair share of putts inside 22'. I have no data to back up my opinion, so you're welcome to correct me if I'm wrong. But it seems like putting and course management are the only things holding him back from being even better than he already is.
I feel like Simon wins and loses off the tee. If the course is set up to rewards great shots more than punishes mistakes it than Simon is definitely in a better position to win most of the time. From my perspective Simon would be in contention a lot more often if he gave it 100% on every shot. He seems to lose interest in doing what will give him the best chance to win during many tournaments and instead starts to focus on what will make the round the most fun. Which is a great attitude to have to enjoy playing the game but is less likely to get you on the podium. No disrespect to Simon by the way, I really enjoy watching him.

Simon's Ledgestone win is arguably his best performance since he had to overcome his own nature to break down the course effectively. It is probably also one of his least favorite tournaments to have won (pure speculation but it was definitely one of my least favorite to watch). I know winning Konapiste was one of his most memorable (he said so, and I enjoyed watching it very much).

Simon exercised great course management at that tournament (arguably better) than anyone else that week and as a result he won. Since it was so recent I'm sure people will point out the last hole at Waco where Simon threw a putter off the tee and missed the 20' putt. Speculation again here but I think the reason he missed the putt is that it didn't really matter that much. Making the putt would have put him in a tie for 9th place. Missing the putt didn't affect him at all. He finished 2 strokes over 11th place. If making the putt would have been the difference between 1st and 2nd he probably wouldn't even have thrown the P2 off the tee in the first place.

Putting is all mental and if you don't care about the putt you won't make it. Missing some putts doesn't make you a bad putter. Losing focus doesn't make you a bad putter. Making putts you NEED to make is all that matters.

So is Simon an elite putter? I'd argue yes. I can think of many performances where Simon's putting gave him a chance to win and the rest of his game was executed according to his gameplan. Most of the loses can be chocked up to straying from the plan or failure to execute off the tee. His gameplan for some really huge events is often wildly unconventional compared to the rest of the top contenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
He ranked 12th in C1x putting and 13th in C2 for 2018. Both pretty solid among "elite" players.
Edit - quote backed up my point. Thanks!

Last edited by broomerang; 04-01-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 44
Niced 665 Times in 388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
Paul is probably the "best" clutch putter because well Paul is just Mr. Clutch most of the time. When Paul isn't clutching it, Paul loses (or at least that is what it feels like for about 6-7 years now).
Yeah I've noticed this a lot in the past. Often Paul would have a slow start to a tournament, but his scores each successive round would just get better and better. A lot of players will have a hot first round, then fall off the pace, whereas Paul tends to do the opposite. He might be on 3rd card after round 1 but jump up to 1st or 2nd card after round 2 and end up winning the tournament. I think the older Worlds format where they played more rounds tended to play to Paul's strength in that regard.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 24
Niced 703 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Yeah I've noticed this a lot in the past. Often Paul would have a slow start to a tournament, but his scores each successive round would just get better and better. A lot of players will have a hot first round, then fall off the pace, whereas Paul tends to do the opposite. He might be on 3rd card after round 1 but jump up to 1st or 2nd card after round 2 and end up winning the tournament. I think the older Worlds format where they played more rounds tended to play to Paul's strength in that regard.
Agree. Portland Worlds will still be the highlight of the youtube era.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 44
Niced 665 Times in 388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
Agree. Portland Worlds will still be the highlight of the youtube era.
I was there in person for that one. I still remember the groan from the crowd when Ricky hit that branch on his second drive during the playoff.