Old 07-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Par Member

Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You are looking a static image rather than the dynamic motion.
True, but the stills are from a dynamic motion, a video. And in that video, Roger is more or less straight up and down and over/above his hip with the rest of his body. His shoulders and torso are directly above/over his hip. And his leg and foot are more or less directly under his hip before the hit, during the hit, and after the hit. And I don't need a video or still shot to know that. I played tennis at a high level and had very good strokes all around. So I know what it feels like to hit a perfect backhand. Whereas I have no idea how it feels to throw a really good disc golf shot.

Simon is not in line. He is tilted back in a straight line from his shoulders to his plant foot during his backswing, then right at the hit, he is making a reverse K with his body. So they are different body positions.

So I'm just trying to figure out, should I be looking and feeling more IN LINE on my plant/front side, like a Tennis backhand, during the hit for a Disc golf shot? Or more like Simon, where my plant foot is way out in front, my plant leg is braced, and my leg is at an angle back to my hip, to play tug of war, and my upper body collapsed over my hip tilting forward?

I ask, because BillyJackO just told me yesterday that the Tennis backhand is the most similar to a Disc golf shot. And that got me all excited! As I know that shot well. But the more I dissect it, it seems it's not the same at the hit point as far as the body shape/balance is concerned. Obviously both players are balanced, but the shape of their bodies at and around impact are different.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2019, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,606 Times in 1,623 Posts

The only thing that matters is dynamic balance. If you are in more bent in posture you will look like Simon. If you are more upright posture you will look more like GG. The dynamic feel is the same, but the look is different.

Look at the pic of GG and Federer and myself:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134167
Old 07-12-2019, 06:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
And it confuses me that you say UhhNegative is folded up at the waist, yet Simon is WAY more folded over from the waist forward past/over his hip. That's also so confusing. Simons upper body is so folded over his hip, that his head is actually out over his foot. Whereas UggNegative is pretty far behind it. All of this confuses me and is making it so hard to know what is right and what is wrong I feel like just when I'm getting some new idea cemented into my head, then something else comes along and messes up what I thought was right

So in regards to UhhNegative. You're saying although they do look similar, that he's not balanced over the front leg? So how would he need to have his body aligned in order to be more balanced, just for my own knowledge?
You can freeze frame certain parts and it might look similar, but they can be totally different.

Simon has shifted all his weight forward off the rear foot and is in dynamic upright balance. UN is way late getting off the rear foot and ends up going around the front leg, and note his rear foot is inverted instead of everted and rear knee extended which pushes/tips him over top the front hip instead of rotating tilted forward. Note how Simon's front hip clears to the right so he isn't collapsing on it or into it. He is rotating around with an appearance of tilted back and tilted forward, but his tilt never really changes it rotates around.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 5.55.36 PM copy.jpg (119.8 KB, 76 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,516 Times in 1,599 Posts

This is a simple way I can visualize on those photos. Keep in mind you want to be centered over the plant, not just the front shoulder. Also in Simon's picture since there's so much tilt I'm trying to show how it feels like the shoulders are on each side of the axis, but also the upper body and lower body counterweight each other which allows that tilt to rotate/precess.

Federer's line is angled because he has some momentum into the shot, so this line matches his speed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (21.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (29.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (39.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 07-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 158 Times in 119 Posts

So in conclusion, the only difference between me and Simon, is that I look at the camera at release like a badass

But really, I see how my throw is wrong, but more from the video than from the frame-by-frame. It's so hard to see the subtleties in just freeze frames.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,516 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
So in conclusion, the only difference between me and Simon, is that I look at the camera at release like a badass
Lol don't look at the 80MPH explosion from your hand, just straight at the camera.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

But really, I see how my throw is wrong, but more from the video than from the frame-by-frame. It's so hard to see the subtleties in just freeze frames.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLo97jXn5Wo&t=12m10s
Old 07-16-2019, 12:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 158 Times in 119 Posts

Question about hips and the lateral movement:

So I see (and feel) how my front hip is getting jammed up in the throw. If I stand still and shift my hips from one side to the other, at the end of the range of motion is where I can't clear my hips. Somewhere in the middle of that range is where it feels like I have range of motion to clear the hips. I know what it feels like from being able to do so when throwing left handed. So the lateral movement of the hips towards the target can't go all the way to the end of that range of motion by this thinking. I guess that's where bracing comes in to prevent the hip from going all the way forward and prevent hip clearing? Is this making any sense? Probably a 30 second video would be easier to explain this.

This thinking coincides with my experiences where if I can keep my torso "back" (more than I am now) I get easier hip clearing and easier power.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Par Member

Niced 144 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Question about hips and the lateral movement:

So I see (and feel) how my front hip is getting jammed up in the throw. If I stand still and shift my hips from one side to the other, at the end of the range of motion is where I can't clear my hips. Somewhere in the middle of that range is where it feels like I have range of motion to clear the hips. I know what it feels like from being able to do so when throwing left handed. So the lateral movement of the hips towards the target can't go all the way to the end of that range of motion by this thinking. I guess that's where bracing comes in to prevent the hip from going all the way forward and prevent hip clearing? Is this making any sense? Probably a 30 second video would be easier to explain this.

This thinking coincides with my experiences where if I can keep my torso "back" (more than I am now) I get easier hip clearing and easier power.
You get that stuck feeling probably cos you are focused on the hip movement and not the swing. Shawn Clement would say something bout having the right task and everything is automatic.

Niced: (1)

Old 07-16-2019, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Hip clears rotationally and/or extending, while bracing forward momentum to send the torso/arm swing thru.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agKwNo_5K5c&t=1m

"The Hips are Automatic"