Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 07-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 1413
Niced 174 Times in 62 Posts

Lots of years ago, there was a show that aired on Saturdays that showed the professional putt putt golf circuit. I seem to recall that the show always seemed to be filmed in the southern states, North and South Carolina, Georgia, etc.

I have been playing pickleball for about 30 years now. The sport is blowing up, especially in senior communities in Arizona and Florida. It's a wonderful game to play but I find watching it to be extremely dull as every rally is exactly the same. Also, like disc golf and probably most sports, the top players are so skilled, they make it look so easy that viewers aren't terribly impressed.

To me, Cornhole, is like watching paint dry. Watching some average 50 YO housewife toss a beanbag through a hole and having the announcer describe her awesome athletic ability as if she were Russell Westbrook, is so typical of the hype found in every news broadcast now days.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2019, 11:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,617 Times in 717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valkyrie Kid View Post
Also, like disc golf and probably most sports, the top players are so skilled, they make it look so easy that viewers aren't terribly impressed.
This is a giant problem for dg in terms of potential non-player viewership and no amount of yellow rope is ever going to overcome it.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,582 Times in 902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkosk View Post
I completely understand dg not being worth the time or effort to broadcast.

But I can't imagine actually watching, and being entertained by, a corn-hole broadcast. I'd rather fold laundry.

I suppose I'm just surprised they pull enough viewership for corn-hole to be worth it, either.
Executive at ESPN: is this production?

Production: yep, what can I do for you boss?

Executive: listen, this weekend, I was playing this game with my grandkids, tossing beanbags at holes cut into wooden boards. I think we should cover this sport.

Production: -very long pause- you sure boss?

Executive: yeah, it will be great.

Production: um, what's it called?

Executive: I don't know, make something up.

Production: okay, we'll get it done. Hangs up phone. Dumb cornhole puncher... Hey, that's an idea.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-16-2019, 01:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 99 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Fair enough, but horseshoes get the nod for me because it hurts like hell to get hit by an errant throw.
Well, you are a private course owner, so you must be use to being in pain!
Old 07-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 41
Niced 672 Times in 379 Posts

Oh, this thread again.

>muh televised disc golf
>downloading/streaming/torrenting increasing at alarming(?) rates
>97 different ESPN channels
>mfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
<tangent>
I would argue that both football and boxing are less safe than they were in the 1950s. The heavy gloves and heavy pads allow one to hit much harder. Rugby players do not suffer the brain injuries like America football.
</tangent>
I, too, listen to Joe Rogan on occasion lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Fixed!
Turtles. Real turtles throw sewer lids

Last edited by GripEnemy; 07-16-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,287 Times in 387 Posts

What confuses me most is why this many people are made so insecure by cornhole on ESPN. There have been a hundred of these threads between here and Facebook...specifically about cornhole, no other sport.

A. Good for Cornhole! I'll bet somebody did a helluva job pitching and securing that sale. I'd be interested in buying that person a beer and hearing the story behind the scenes of the effort it took to accomplish that.

B. Who the F#*& cares? Our biggest channel hit 100k subs this year and will probably hit 200k before the end of the 2020 season. CCDG will overtake SpinTV and become the #2 most subbed channel by the end of this year, and the number of regularly-filming crews has doubled in the last couple of seasons.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,968 Times in 2,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I think 15-20K in concurrent viewership would garner more/better outside sponsorship than 5-6K does. Certainly not earth-shattering by any means, but enough to justify the added expenses of an expanded broadcast? Perhaps.

And maybe if that level of effort stabilizes as the norm, maybe further investment in the broadcast could net more growth. It's an incremental process. It always has been. The unfortunate thing is that incremental isn't fast enough for some folks.
Can you imagine how insane the live chat on YT would be with 15-20k people watching, lol? Its almost too much as it is with the couple hundred that participate in it with 3-5k.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:08 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,111 Times in 565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Can you imagine how insane the live chat on YT would be with 15-20k people watching, lol? Its almost too much as it is with the couple hundred that participate in it with 3-5k.
Let's be honest. A good portion of those viewers are not there so much for the disc golf, but to mess around in the chat. (And I don't blame them)

Old 07-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 148
Niced 554 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
It is too much now. Maybe if the comments were in real time, but three or four word comments one right after another on something that took place during the tourney like 5 minutes earlier makes me irrationally upset. By the time someone's "great putt!" comment shows they're already 2 holes ahead of that and the guy just flubbed a 15 footer.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,968 Times in 2,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
It is too much now. Maybe if the comments were in real time, but three or four word comments one right after another on something that took place during the tourney like 5 minutes earlier makes me irrationally upset. By the time someone's "great putt!" comment shows they're already 2 holes ahead of that and the guy just flubbed a 15 footer.
Yea... too many people don't realize they're lagging behind when they make comments.