Old 05-14-2019, 05:47 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
The most useful piece of putting advice I ever got was reading Climo saying to pretend the disc was a brick you are trying to toss in the basket.
Thats a heck of an advice. It forces you to use gravity for your advantage to maintain balance. It must be a down-up move atleast slightly. The load up move is up-down which forces to move some real mass. Most ok but inconsistent putters work against gravity. Think about one handed basketball passing. Very easy to produce nice effortless power with great accuracy from going shovel style underarm. Much harder to it from your side on a horizontal plane.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 672 Times in 579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinf67 View Post
I have never been a really good putter, but at times it has been serviceable. I have been playing around 8 years now. I have my issues, but putting seems like its the worst right now. I mainly turbo inside 20 ft, and sometimes longer. I lean on it for tournaments and leagues etc, as my regular putt is so inconsistent. No matter what tweaks I do, I keep failing to cash in putts that I need to hit to compete in Adv. 2 rds this weekend, my c1x was 42 percent and 22 percent. Thats sad. I keep my motion short and try to aim at the pole with an understable putter. Concentrate on popping my fingers and when I am on, or at my practice basket, I can get in a rhythm. On the course is a different story. My release point is all over the place. I will putt and not open my hand all the way, so miss left. Try to correct, and break the wrist and miss right. Get dead center, but release high. You get the idea. I feel like I need to find one thing to focus on that I can do over and over. Anyone have an aha moment that happened during putting that changed their game? I feel like i am making this way too complicated. Especially 25 and in. What is your main focus when you are staring at the basket? Any help would be a lifesaver, Im tired of sucking at putting
What I can say is I stare at the right edge of the pole. my stance is front foot is in line with the pole as much as I can be, then back foot is in line with the shoulder. My hands for putting style is mine only and I have never seen others use it but it keeps me from throwing a hyzer putt angle. I am doing a push with spin about 50% for each maybe more 40% spin 60% push and then I am putting with hand using the non throwing hand for a track guide though at rare times I have hyzered by mistake due to using the track guide, 90% of the time I am not going to high due to using the hand it is too low is the problem by releasing early. when further from the basket then 20-22 feet about that I am then using push with back foot and leg for my putt stating with a little push adding more and more the further I am back to about 35 feet max then I switch to my Shark and will putt/approach with that, true standing midrange approach starts at about 50-60 feet.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-03-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 3
Niced 36 Times in 23 Posts

Have you tried to straddle? My make % went way up when I switched to straddle.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 171 Times in 91 Posts

If dynamic balance is an issue with your putt, as sidewinder suggests, also try putting practice barefoot. Nothing will key you into your balance issues more than this tip. Related to this is your choice of golfing footwear...
Old 06-05-2019, 06:48 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 93 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Have you tried to straddle? My make % went way up when I switched to straddle.
I switched to straddle putting about 3 weeks ago and I am as confident as ever. I don't know what it is, but I find it less stressful when walking up to a putt I ought to make.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 18 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Make sure you're actually shifting your weight ONTO your front leg, not just stepping forward as if you were walking and trying to stop yourself from falling through. This is off balance, rather than actually shifting your weight.

Watch how McBeth starts with his hips around 45 degrees to the basket. He drives his rear hip TO his front hip and ends up in line to the basket. He can just stand upright on the front leg after the putt releases. If you watch him on jump putts he drives so hard with his lower body that he ends up closed to the basket when he lands.

Just try standing up this way, from loaded back to upright and sideways on the front leg. Then sort out what your arm does, find your putting stroke.

I'm all for having the putting stroke and spin/push ratio that works for each person, but if your lower body sucks then your putt will suck.

I love you more than you will ever know, sir.

I'm a push putter and I've been struggling with nose down forever to the point that I will routinely hit the cage at 10' - one of the most infuriating things in the world is to bomb a 400 foot hole, park it 10 feet away and miss the putt. I ALWAYS hit center pole (for the most part) but am always low.

FOREVER I have been trying to figure out how the weight shift in putting works and after reading "drive the hip" and trying it... man, it's magic. I can actually PUTT to the basket from about 60 feet with no issues and inside 40' I am money. Counterintuively, it feels like driving the hip is going to cause me to miss to the right but if I just trust my arm to swing then it's staying right on the line.

I haven't been this excited in a long time.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:36 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 672 Times in 579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Make sure you're actually shifting your weight ONTO your front leg, not just stepping forward as if you were walking and trying to stop yourself from falling through. This is off balance, rather than actually shifting your weight.

Watch how McBeth starts with his hips around 45 degrees to the basket. He drives his rear hip TO his front hip and ends up in line to the basket. He can just stand upright on the front leg after the putt releases. If you watch him on jump putts he drives so hard with his lower body that he ends up closed to the basket when he lands.

Just try standing up this way, from loaded back to upright and sideways on the front leg. Then sort out what your arm does, find your putting stroke.

I'm all for having the putting stroke and spin/push ratio that works for each person, but if your lower body sucks then your putt will suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zphix View Post
I love you more than you will ever know, sir.

I'm a push putter and I've been struggling with nose down forever to the point that I will routinely hit the cage at 10' - one of the most infuriating things in the world is to bomb a 400 foot hole, park it 10 feet away and miss the putt. I ALWAYS hit center pole (for the most part) but am always low.

FOREVER I have been trying to figure out how the weight shift in putting works and after reading "drive the hip" and trying it... man, it's magic. I can actually PUTT to the basket from about 60 feet with no issues and inside 40' I am money. Counterintuively, it feels like driving the hip is going to cause me to miss to the right but if I just trust my arm to swing then it's staying right on the line.

I haven't been this excited in a long time.
I get it too, I have been very excited with my newest part to the putt I have been doing the basic style for since 2014. I have changed that I am doing push off/shift with back leg all the time when using my putting style for about 10 feet on back. Inside 10 feet I can just toss the disc in but often outside 5 feet I do a no push off with back leg of my putt. Just now at 10 feet it will be a micro push that gets more and more push off with back leg the further I am out. This is contrasting what I did before and would strong arm my push spin mix out to about 20 feet. I do this because it is less work then trying to tell when I am around 20-22 feet away to start doing a push off. I am the same as you aiming for the right side of the pole wth front foot pointed at pole to make that easier for what to do with front foot when I am RHBH and left side when doing a sidearm or no arm movement flick putt. Due to hand size I will never be able to turbo putt for the times I can't do a regular putt so I practice that.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 07-17-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Par Member

Niced 19 Times in 16 Posts

Chiming in! My weight shift/balance has improved dramatically over the past year, and although I'm predominantly focused on throwing form, my drive training is having profound effect on my putting game.

I bought a sharp shooter basket a few months ago for the backyard. I had been hovering around the 65/70% mark from 20', and just overall struggling with consistency.

Early July it dawned on me that I should setup my putt similar to setting up my drive (pre-shot, find my balance at/through the hit...etc.). Then when I really started to focus on a controlled/smooth shift, my make % jumped considerably, and is steadily climbing.

Since 7/7 I am 75% from 20' (190/254) and 82% since 7/13 (197/240). Fairly small sample size and a short time frame...but all signs are pointing to this being a real change for me.