Old 07-19-2019, 08:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,082 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I think the mental challenge on a course like this is that there are a lot of decisions that can be counter to how a golfer wants to play, at least one who wants to contend. It gets frustrating starting a hole knowing that even with perfect play, the best you're going to do is maybe give yourself a putt for par. When those holes outnumber the holes you can potentially birdie, the whole round feels like an uphill battle from the start. I'm not sure it's a flaw or weakness in the mental game to falter in such cases. Because even with clean, smart play, it's probably not enough to contend for the win, especially if you miss a couple make-able birdies early. Eventually, you're going to feel the pressure to gamble just to have a chance to keep up.
But you still have four rounds here. . .i play alot of one round tournaments and if you bogey early the mental game is HARD.

For the BEAST and the FPO field, par is good. . .but for the MPO field they must feel like they almost need to birdy every hole and a bogey is hard to recover from. . .with all that OB thats a real mental challenge.

Feels like Cat have given up already. . Feels like Paige and Henna likes this layout, the other women don΄t
Nybo having a good day
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2019, 08:37 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 650 Times in 300 Posts

Anybody else feel like its unacceptable for a major to have turf tees? The womans coverage showed quite a few slips on the tees and watching the mens it looks like they are slipping as well but controlling it a bit more. I'd like to see a tee pad standard for these tournaments.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,457 Times in 1,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Anybody else feel like its unacceptable for a major to have turf tees? The womans coverage showed quite a few slips on the tees and watching the mens it looks like they are slipping as well but controlling it a bit more. I'd like to see a tee pad standard for these tournaments.
Can't beat concrete teepads
Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

How many muddy concrete pads have we seen?. . super dangerous . . . .turf tees are better in every way ( except for shoe companies )

Niced: (2)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

. . .but the turf pads at the Beast looked a bit worn ( very ) . . put in new ones for this tournament

Niced: (1)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:03 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
How many muddy concrete pads have we seen?. . super dangerous . . . .turf tees are better in every way ( except for shoe companies )
Muddy concrete tees? Cant remember any.

How would turf tees be better in every way? There is a higher potential for slips on turf tees when they are wet or dry. The memorial concrete tees are terrible but there arent many other concrete tees that come to mind at big events that are bad.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Maybe a Northen European thing but that post R1 MPO interview was fun, he ONLY asked about the mistakes they made. .LOVE that . . why talk about all the good things they made when you can ask about the bad
Old 07-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Muddy concrete tees? Cant remember any.

How would turf tees be better in every way? There is a higher potential for slips on turf tees when they are wet or dry. The memorial concrete tees are terrible but there arent many other concrete tees that come to mind at big events that are bad.
Every rain round we had on concrete teepads have looked super dangerus. . but those rubber carpets are worse.

But i have nothing against concrete teepads IF they are well made and have a good structure.

i have in the back of my head an interview from a few years back when the pros were asked about there favorite tees and i think most said turf.

Most every teepad here in Sweden and i think Finland are turf. . .to play on Concrete in the winter is SUPER dangerus
Old 07-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Every rain round we had on concrete teepads have looked super dangerus. . but those rubber carpets are worse.

But i have nothing against concrete teepads IF they are well made and have a good structure.

i have in the back of my head an interview from a few years back when the pros were asked about there favorite tees and i think most said turf.

Most every teepad here in Sweden and i think Finland are turf. . .to play on Concrete in the winter is SUPER dangerus
So Ive had a thought for a while now that it might be a region specific thing. It seems like a lot of the European courses use turf tees and most US courses use concrete. US players learn how to throw off of concrete while European players learn how to throw off of turf. Throwing style might not differ too much but they might be different enough that it causes issues when throwing off of a surface that isnt what they are used to.

In the winter here, its super dangerous to throw off of anything that isnt concrete. The turf, rubber and carpet tees are pretty much like throwing off of ice. If I have to play on those tees in the winter I wear metal cleats so I dont injury myself. But I dont play a lot in the winter anymore because of this.

And I have never had an time where a concrete tee in the rain was dangerous. The most dangerous surface is usually throwing off of the grass on courses with concrete tees, when it rains.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

I think turf is the closest think to grass , and we make most of are throws from grass

in the type of winter we get here the turf pads are totally playable. . .concrete are not

But sure it might be a region thing, all but one of allt the cources i play here have turf. . .and the ones i see on the US tour is mostly concrete.
Kind of strange that the teepads in discgolf do not have a standard ( size, shape and surface )