Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 132
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 929 Times in 495 Posts
Default Impersonating a Park Ranger

Simple question for you legal minded folk.

Is it illegal to impersonate a City/County Park Ranger?

I don't mean actually telling people that you are a park ranger, but I assume making it seem as if you are one is enough to be considered "impersonating". I ask because my friends and I always joke about buying a generic "Park Ranger" polo to keep in our bag. Then when we see groups of chuckers that don't pay, we can throw on the shirt and say "Checking permits today, boys".
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,964 Times in 2,107 Posts

We have different kinds of rangers around here. He have State Park Rangers, who are certified Hwy Patrolmen. So impersonating them I'm sure is illegal. We also have a county park district that has there own Rangers, and they are a self contained police force that carry guns and can arrest you. So I would imagine it is also illegal to do it there.

In a nutshell I would think its a bad idea. But maybe you can contact the park and get deputized..

Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
We have different kinds of rangers around here. He have State Park Rangers, who are certified Hwy Patrolmen. So impersonating them I'm sure is illegal. We also have a county park district that has there own Rangers, and they are a self contained police force that carry guns and can arrest you. So I would imagine it is also illegal to do it there.

In a nutshell I would think its a bad idea. But maybe you can contact the park and get deputized..
Well, I was given a Junior Park Ranger sticker when I helped the ranger move pins at Elver last year. Does that count? Lol.

Neither city or county rangers here can actually arrest you, and they definitely dont carry guns. Im guessing it would be a relatively minor charge. We'd likely never actually do this, but boy is it tempting when youre behind 3 huge groups of non-paying noobs.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 239
Niced 1,537 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Well, I was given a Junior Park Ranger sticker when I helped the ranger move pins at Elver last year. Does that count? Lol.

Neither city or county rangers here can actually arrest you, and they definitely dont carry guns. Im guessing it would be a relatively minor charge. We'd likely never actually do this, but boy is it tempting when youre behind 3 huge groups of non-paying noobs.
As a Junior Ranger, I think it would be well within your jurisdiction, to go start taking pictures of the offenders, alerting them to your Junior Ranger status and informing them that their pics are going to be emailed to the proper authorities.

Niced: (3)
Old 05-16-2017, 09:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I know this would never work, but this got me thinking. It would be awesome if 5-10 respected members of the local disc golf community could be given some Parks authority.

People would be far more nervous to not pay, since anyone you play through could be one of those guys.

And that way there'd actually be someone checking passes. Currently I only see Rangers every once in a blue moon (yet to see one at Elver this year and I play there almost daily). The county is a bit better, but erbody know you don't have to pay at the city courses.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 422 Times in 268 Posts

Park rangers are all government officials. I think, but I'm not 100%, that impersonating a public official is a crime everywhere, and probably a felony in some instances.

If you want to get up in people's business, and you know 100% they didn't pay, why not just take down the tag number and report it? Seems like something the parks probably aren't concerned with though, if they really wanted to collect they would have a guy at the entrance.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Sometimes people around here refer to the people sitting in the little shack collecting park entry fees as rangers, those people are usually volunteers, around here.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30.2
Courses Played: 42
Niced 112 Times in 54 Posts

Just get a Bear costume and get it over with

Niced: (1)
Old 05-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 500
Niced 131 Times in 64 Posts

Most people think I'm a cop. So I just go along with it now. Really throws some people off their game.

Niced: (2)

Old 05-16-2017, 10:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
Most people think I'm a cop. So I just go along with it now. Really throws some people off their game.
Lol. I guess you do kind of have that look...