Old 09-19-2017, 08:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 324 Times in 143 Posts

Guys,
Thanks for all the feedback and opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by august dupree View Post
No, the Harp is not as OS and dumpy as a Zone. I read your post and I understand what you are asking for. It's right in between a Zone and a Suspect, imho.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
Are you forehand dominant? Given the pictures, it seems like a RHBH throw would give better results. Perhaps a straight midrange with which you can give a soft hyzer just over the water fading gently to the pin. Anyone else think the same thing?
I am backhand dominant, but throw flicks for approaches and utility. Unfortunately, the slope to the left side of the basket is steep enough that any skip would result in a bad roll away (at best). Worst case scenario is a roll all the way into the drink at the bottom of the hill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I was going to say Buzzz too, though the thought of a headwind makes me change my mind. A plain ol' Z Buzzz is a very versatile forehand approach tool. With a headwind, you could try a Buzzz OS?
I don't think a Buzz is stable enough for this application. I have not tried a Buzz OS, but I have also tried a Drone, with infrequent success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
A majority of my sidearm approach shots are with a Pig or a Mortar. If I want more skip and/or more distance I go with the Recon Mortar. If I want little to no skip I use a Pig. I throw the Pig sidearm a lot more than backhand. I prefer the Factory Store "Stiff" Pro Pigs. I've been experimenting with my Frontline-X Mortar to try to replace my Pig (to carry less molds). It skips less than the Recon but more than a Pig. I prefer to flick beadless discs so I like my setup.
I hadn't considered a Pig... I bagged one when they first came out but didn't really find a spot for it back then. My game has changed considerably since then, so it may be worth re-visiting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atison View Post
I bag a suspect for longer approaches 150-225ish, a BT Medium harp for shorter approaches <150 and a Fuzion Justice for utility approaches. Combined with a beat in Judge that is my throwing putter I cover almost any shot I can face. Of those 4 discs you will never find me without the Suspect/Harp/Judge. The Justice could probably go but it is fun to throw.
I bag a Lucid Judge for throwing and short FH approaches (<75'). I actually pulled a Justice out of the lake when I was fishing for the Felon I threw in there... Seems like it would have limited applications, but I haven't thrown it yet. Seems like the Harp is a good option for this specific application. I'll just have to try it out. I don't want to bag a disc for one throw on one hole, so we'll see if I can use it elsewhere as well.

Thanks again for all the feedback
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 12
Niced 50 Times in 30 Posts

I think if I was forced to pick one between the Justice/Harp/Suspect lineup it would definitely be the Harp. Awesome disc that changed my upshot game.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 553 Times in 405 Posts

I would say try a Harp, any plastic to your preference really - or a Mortar
Old 09-20-2017, 11:52 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 62
Niced 100 Times in 70 Posts

Has anyone said Hornet? I bet I've seen more forehand field aces with Hornets than any other disc.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 48
Niced 784 Times in 533 Posts

I just started incorporating FH approaches into my game this year. I've had an increase in fairway hole outs because of it. All with an Envy. I tried more OS stuff, but they all required too much flex for a lot of my shots.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 959 Times in 630 Posts

I use Harps, and to great effect. They are amazing BH or FH and can cover a lot of lines. I have a BT Soft from the first run that never has left my bag, and is still more OS than my VIP or TP. They are just fantastic. Bought one on a whim and some it was so good for flicks under 250 I could never quit it.

The BT Soft and medium are the best, but the VIP isn't bad, just straighter and the Tp has good glide, so I like it off the tee.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

How about a classic slammer? Beat it in over time and it wouldn't be quite so OS.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,500 Times in 1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyzerbomb93 View Post
How about a classic slammer? Beat it in over time and it wouldn't be quite so OS.
That's a great suggestion. Only threw one a few times, but extremely HSS without a big fade to match. Felt as HSS as a Harp/Zone, but I didn't get to throw it into any winds to fully test that.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 18
Niced 548 Times in 316 Posts

Envy or beat up Pro-d Zone. I use these interchangeably for this shot as my primary approach (I throw mostly backhand except for approach where mostly forehand) up to about 200. Then i step up to a mid or fairway.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 140
Niced 324 Times in 143 Posts

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I actually found a Lucid Slammer on the course the other day (no one ever returned my calls) & I picked up a couple Harps from the Marketplace in Medium & TP, so we'll see what I can do with those.

I'm also playing a couple tourneys in the coming weeks and get a disc with entry, so I'll probably pick up a Gator, Mortar, or Pig.

Keep an eye on the Marketplace for the ones that don't make the cut.