Old 09-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts
Default Future Forehand Disc?

If you've read my other two post you know I'm a 50 year old newbie to disc golf who has been trying to put my first 5 disc into my bag. So far I have a Leopard DX 167g, a Shark DX 173g, and a Aviar P&A 175g. It looks as though I'll be adding a GStar TeeBird 168g and either another Aviar P&A designated for short/accurate drives or maybe a Colt for same reason.

As I lay awake this morning I thought of situation that may be different for me than most other disc golf players....or maybe not.

I haven't watched but a few hours of competition disc golf but it seems like (from what I remember) players throw their backhand and their forehand with same hand.

For me I'll be throwing my backhand right handed and my forehand left handed. I'm sure I could throw my forehand right handed if in a bad spot on the course but since I throw a baseball left handed that will be the way I typically throw my forehand.

Right now I'm not overly concerned with forehand throws, mainly trying to get a consistent backhand, but I'm sure it won't be long until I find myself in a situation where a forehand would be the obvious (or maybe not so obvious for a newbie) shot choice.

So, my questions are these:

1) How will throwing my backhand with one hand and my forehand with my opposite hand affect my disc choices?

2) Once I get to the point of looking to purchase a disc specifically for my forehand, what should I be looking for in a disc? ie: model of Innova disc? what weight? what type of high speed stability score? low stability score?

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!

TripleB
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 3
Niced 69 Times in 45 Posts

I would start by forehanding some discs that are hard to throw smoothly because they catch on your hand and wobble and then break down WHY they do that, and then go to your local shop to handle some discs to get the feel of what type would work best for you. A lot of people will advise you to forehand the most overstable disc on the planet (Nuke OS), but I will recommend you try a more neutral flying disc (-2,1 or -2,2). That way you learn how to do the motion SMOOTHLY.
I have just started my forehand usage back up and I really like the Shryke and Colossus right now. I can forehand my Glo Teebird also.
Watch this video to get some solid forehand tips: https://youtu.be/EBrlJ9mDbhQ

P.S. teebirds make for some devilish straight forehand rollers because they are so well balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (2)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,435 Times in 666 Posts

Have you actually started throwing disc yet, or are you just enjoying dreaming up a theoretical bag?

Niced: (1)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasgg View Post
A lot of people will advise you to forehand the most overstable disc on the planet (Nuke OS), but I will recommend you try a more neutral flying disc (-2,1 or -2,2). That way you learn how to do the motion SMOOTHLY.

P.S. teebirds make for some devilish straight forehand rollers because they are so well balanced.
Thanks for the advice!

Maybe I should have asked this question first:

Will me throwing a disc with a right handed backhand and then throwing that same disc with a left handed forehand give me the same disc flight?

From what it looked like on the competitions I watched, I thought players went forehand or backhand based on the flight they wanted the disc to have.

Glad to hear the Teebird is such a versatile disc!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Have you actually started throwing disc yet, or are you just enjoying dreaming up a theoretical bag?
I have been throwing disc but borrowed, mainly beat up, ones...definitely not any of the ones mentioned in my original post since they won't arrive until Friday.

TripleB
Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 418 Times in 265 Posts

You don't need any disc specifically for forehand. In theory left hand forehand and right hand backhand of the same six follows the same flight path, so it's not much of a difference. Rhbh and rhfh follow opposite flight paths.

Practice with what you have. When you can accurately and smoothly forehand that leopard you'll be ahead of the curve. Don't over complicate it with more discs. I know the allure of new discs is strong and I fell for it right off the bat. But it won't make you better, I make your scores lower for a while.

Think about it this way, you probably have one tennis racket that you use 90% of the time. Clay court, concrete, grass, the racket doesn't make you better, landing your shots accurately does. Same with discs. Put that leopard exactly where you want it, then do it again, then putt. You just got yourself a par, which is great.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,435 Times in 666 Posts

Before you get too carried away with the perfect theoretical discs, this is the thread you should read through.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=32790

Old 09-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 77 Times in 60 Posts

Rhbh and lhfh will both both fade or finish to the left as they slow down. There are some differences besides this between the way a fh and a bh fly, but they are finer points that aren't really a concern when you are leaning. Most people go through the trouble develop these two shots with the same throwing arm so that they can have their shot finish to the left, right hand back hand, or to the right, right hand for hand. Or visa versa.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:15 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
You don't need any disc specifically for forehand. In theory left hand forehand and right hand backhand of the same six follows the same flight path, so it's not much of a difference.
I guess that's why I wondering if I need a different type of disc.

If my right handed backhand and my left handed forehand are going to give me the same exact flight path, for example a nice little fade at the end, how do I go about getting a disc to go the opposite way at the end of the throw?

Thanks for the tennis anology!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yxebrew View Post
Rhbh and lhfh will both both fade or finish to the left as they slow down. There are some differences besides this between the way a fh and a bh fly, but they are finer points that aren't really a concern when you are leaning. Most people go through the trouble develop these two shots with the same throwing arm so that they can have their shot finish to the left, right hand back hand, or to the right, right hand for hand. Or visa versa.
As mentioned above me, that's what my concern is. Most people throwing right handed for both shots (forehand and backhand) will get two different disc flights depending on whether they throw that disc with a backhand or a forehand. Therefore they choose whether to throw forehand or backhand based on the flight they want. Unfortunately I don't have that option since I have a right handed backhand and a left handed forehand.

I definitely can't throw a right handed forehand or a left handed backhand.

So I'm wondering, since I can't shape the flight two different ways like most people (because my left handed forehand and right handed backhand would seem to follow the same flight path), do I need a disc with "opposite" (horrible choice of words but all I could come up with) characteristics from what I currently have so the disc will go the opposite direction at the end compared to my other disc?

Sorry I can't do a better job of explaining my concern!

Thanks again, I appreciate everyone's help!!!

TripleB

Old 09-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 426 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Unfortunately I don't have that option since I have a right handed backhand and a left handed forehand.

I definitely can't throw a right handed forehand or a left handed backhand.
Is this because of a physical limitation or is it more of a mental thing, or a carryover from tennis shots?

If you only feel comfortable with the above, then your option for getting a disc to finish in the opposite direction is to throw an anhyzer/turnover. Plenty of technique/instructional videos and discussion out there to digest. You should be able to get your Leopard to fly to the right on a RHBH.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 418 Times in 265 Posts

^what he said. Could you also throw left hand backhand with practice?