Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-24-2019, 09:30 AM

Niced 19 Times in 10 Posts

Has anyone gotten around to putting with the new Guardian Lion yet? Curious how it feels and flies...
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2019, 09:41 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 962 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-KABONG View Post
Wonder what happened when Jussi told Dave that the "advanced" plastic was getting made by LAT 64?
I wonder how much of is is down to aesthetics? To people who are new to the game or are not super into the nerdy details a lot of Lat64 premium looks more high end.

My wife throws an Elasto Diamond, I picked it for her to along with a lighter JK Camp Valk. Both flew well for her and she can throw them 250-300 on s curve lines, but she reaches for the Diamond way more because the clear slightly refracting plastic of the diamond is more high end looking than the opaque slightly Smokey valk.

To us who have played a good bit for a long time we know those opaque Champ discs are some of the more durable ever made and are sought after, but on pure looks the Diamond is more professional looking to her. Probably the case with many newer golfers.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 297 Times in 173 Posts

Opto feels superior in the hand compared to Champion IMO. It might be that as well
Old 04-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 34
Niced 90 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
Opto feels superior in the hand compared to Champion IMO. It might be that as well
Superior to Jolly launcher but definitely not to the velvety old pfn champ imo.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:50 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
I agree, and that first run Elasto/Fluid was fire too.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:14 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 213 Times in 122 Posts

Opto might look more premium than champion but is the least durable premium plastic I’ve ever thrown by a long shot. The flight characteristics of opto change so fast.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,512 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Opto might look more premium than champion but is the least durable premium plastic I’ve ever thrown by a long shot. The flight characteristics of opto change so fast.
I think they change initially, like in the first month, then stay there for a very long time. While champ/star change very slowly and stay at each stage forever.

I don't think it's a bad thing for most disc golfers, for as much as they throw each disc and how hard they can hit things to have some discs that can get beat in in a reasonable time. That said, I don't think I would ever choose opto style plastic for my true OS discs because that's a slot I don't want beating in. Other than maybe a Justice for example, those are insanely OS...so it is possible for discs to stay OS in that plastic.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I think they change initially, like in the first month, then stay there for a very long time. While champ/star change very slowly and stay at each stage forever.

I don't think it's a bad thing for most disc golfers, for as much as they throw each disc and how hard they can hit things to have some discs that can get beat in in a reasonable time. That said, I don't think I would ever choose opto style plastic for my true OS discs because that's a slot I don't want beating in. Other than maybe a Justice for example, those are insanely OS...so it is possible for discs to stay OS in that plastic.
That is probably true. The Warhorses I got were insanely OS at first and have beat into basically a fresh Giant and have not changed much. If I need something truly unreasonably OS, the Slab is super OS and hasn’t changed hardly at all.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:19 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 645 Times in 298 Posts

Agreed with those saying that opto is the least premium, premium plastic on the market.

Niced: (2)

Old 04-25-2019, 08:34 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 47 Times in 34 Posts

I have to say the instinct in Neo plastic feels great. Very nice tack to it and a decent flex. I personally hate the feel of champion plastic from innova because it typically has a sheen to it that causes it to be slick and it is typically lacking in flex. Also really digging the stamp design on the instinct FWIW