Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-27-2019, 12:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 190
Niced 1,589 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
I've only ever measured Destroyers in Star plastic. But I do have two Predators in Sparkle Crystal FLX(Ledgestone run) that have a slightly wider rim than several Vultures I've checked- both in Z and Big Z. These Preds are also way more overstable than a Big Z Pred I threw awhile back(but never measured). So I ordered a regular Z Pred just the other day because it was on sale and I was curious. Rim measures the same as the Vultures(smaller than the Ledgestone run Preds), and it also has a significantly lower PLH than the Ledgestone Preds. So maybe plastic might have something to do with it? But in regards to what I said about Destroyers, none of these discs have a whole lot of variation in their individual rim widths.

Heavy use can definitely make a big difference in rim width variance. Especially in baseline plastic putters. That's why I mentioned only currently having a few new/newish Destroyers to measure.

I've only ever measured any discs in the house- temperature could potentially matter???

No idea what the second most variance would be. All other discs besides Star Destroyers that I've checked have been pretty symmetrical.

Maybe I should get a notepad, go check a bunch of discs, and actually have the numbers written down to look at...
i wonder about the temp cuz of playing in MN winters and then 85 degree ish summers i would think the plastic would change somewhat

i think its a blessing in disguises i dont have a caliper because i would be measuring every disc in different circumstances

im interested in plh vs variance in rim widths but they probably is a giant topic and would take a ton of time
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2019, 04:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 258 Times in 112 Posts

So is there a run/plastic that is reliably less stable than the norm? I’ve never thrown a “flippy” destroyer and I’m curious. I currently bag a 170 Pro (which looks and feels much more like Star IMO) which is my beefiest distance driver.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 658 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
So is there a run/plastic that is reliably less stable than the norm? I’ve never thrown a “flippy” destroyer and I’m curious. I currently bag a 170 Pro (which looks and feels much more like Star IMO) which is my beefiest distance driver.
Pro, DX, and G* Destroyers are definitely flippier than champion or star. DX can be wildly flippy, especially if you beat the disc up some.

DX is the only plastic I'd say Destroyers really get flippy in. The G* and pro ones will definitely turn on you though. Pro seems to beat quickly, and you'll notice the disc turning far more than when it was new.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-28-2019, 01:47 AM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

I have a few red echo star Destroyers that are pretty flippy when fresh and season quite quickly into extreme hyzer flip / roller discs. I've had those both relatively flat and pretty domey, but each one has a very low PLH. The ones I have look like the one found here https://www.discstore.com/innova-echo-star-destroyer

I've had older run echos as well and they've been way more overstable.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:52 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 74 Times in 50 Posts

I notice some of the ricky wysocki destroyers have a straight wing with no concave whatsoever. They look less stable.
How do they fly?
Old 02-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 302 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
I notice some of the ricky wysocki destroyers have a straight wing with no concave whatsoever. They look less stable.
How do they fly?
Haven’t thrown one myself, but reports from others that have posted about them so far would back up your suspicions about their stability.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 86
Niced 258 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
How do they fly?
It would be pretty awesome if someone compared a bunch of different destroyers to see the differences in wing shape. They could make a video and compare the straight ones to the curved ones, and let us know if there's a difference. Maybe some day.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 44
Niced 258 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Pro, DX, and G* Destroyers are definitely flippier than champion or star. DX can be wildly flippy, especially if you beat the disc up some.

DX is the only plastic I'd say Destroyers really get flippy in. The G* and pro ones will definitely turn on you though. Pro seems to beat quickly, and you'll notice the disc turning far more than when it was new.
Yeah, I threw a couple DX and I found them to be complete garbage, really touchy and unpredictable. My Pro is still very overstable after 2 years in the bag, but like I said this run is more like Star. Identical to Star actually, which seems like typical Innova sloppiness. Maybe I’ll give GStar a shot. Just remembered I have one in my stash somewhere.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 658 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
Yeah, I threw a couple DX and I found them to be complete garbage, really touchy and unpredictable. My Pro is still very overstable after 2 years in the bag, but like I said this run is more like Star. Identical to Star actually, which seems like typical Innova sloppiness. Maybe I’ll give GStar a shot. Just remembered I have one in my stash somewhere.
I think any high speed driver in DX is junk. I remember when I was a new player I'd throw DX Orcs and Wraiths and they'd start flipping over bad for no apparent reason. I have thrown DX Destroyers, but not for at least 10 years.

If I'm looking for a good Destroyer I want it to be star and have some dome to it. I'm not a fan of flat Destroyers. They tend to be really beefy and glideless.

Niced: (1)

Old 03-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 88 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
It would be pretty awesome if someone compared a bunch of different destroyers to see the differences in wing shape. They could make a video and compare the straight ones to the curved ones, and let us know if there's a difference. Maybe some day.
I'm so glad you said this so I didn't have to.... Hahaha