Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default As Champion plastic gets seasoned, what should I expect?

I have a Champ Eagle-X that has had the fade beat right out of it over the last year, much like how a DX TeeBird beats in. My anny shot is weak, but now I can toss this so that it doesn't flex back at all. It is still great for level throws without flipping, too, and is straight as an arrow thrown FH.

This seasoning process has been slow and steady, without any "break points" where the flight radically alters. I have 2 questions, the second being more important to me....

1. From this point, what should I expect the effects to be as this Champ Eagle continues to be seasoned? (considering I am throwing it much more, now that it is butter)

2. I picked up a set of 11x Champ Firebirds for my FH game (read: short right meathook drives.) I doubt that the fade will ever be beat out of these discs, but I am curious as to how much more workable will these discs become as I wear them in? Keep in mind, my FH isn't great, and I hit a lot of s#!t.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 84
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am not an expert but I will try to answer your questions

1. You should expect it to get more flippy as you are throwing it all the time. It may be straight right now but with every drive it will lose some stability. Remember is a head wind it will want to flip more (throw with some hyzer) and the tail wind will want to bail out. Side note discs are sooooo sweet when they get to this stage.

2. I have had the same 11x firebird in my bag for two years. I beat the crap out of it mainly throwing rollers, skips, tommys, thumbers, and this thing is still stable. I had 20 mph winds the other day I threw it flat into the wind and it rode it straight and faded back right when it was suppose to and skipped like it was suppose to.

For your FH game these will be nice s-shot material. Throw them on some anny and watch it s out for you. Once you learn how much snap you need to give it you will be golden with these things.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 91
Niced 986 Times in 494 Posts

You must be incredibly lucky, because champion plastic loses its high speed stability before its low speed stability. DX plastic (and some star molds, notably the star eagle-x) tend to lose their fade before their high speed stability starts to go.

In general, you can expect champ plastic to develop more high speed turn as it wears in, while retaining its strong fade characteristics.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
In general, you can expect champ plastic to develop more high speed turn as it wears in, while retaining its strong fade characteristics.
That's what I expected with the Eagle: a disc that I could work more, but still reliably count on a fade. I was very surprised myself with the current result.

I don't know about being lucky, if other discs fail to deliver what this disc has and I never see it again. More like pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMcNair View Post
For your FH game these will be nice s-shot material. Throw them on some anny and watch it s out for you. Once you learn how much snap you need to give it you will be golden with these things.
I know something as wickedly overstable like a 11x Champ FB won't wind up fadeless, but I am now much more excited about the potential workability as it wears.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

as you beat the discs up, they will become less overstable. they will fly longer before fading and fade less.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deBebbler View Post
That's what I expected with the Eagle: a disc that I could work more, but still reliably count on a fade. I was very surprised myself with the current result.
I'm surprised a bit, too, but it might be that might have more to do with you beating up a mold that wears in well rather than buying something that flies well when new and having it get squirrley as it beats in.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace D View Post
as you beat the discs up, they will become less overstable. they will fly longer before fading and fade less.
Yeah. I kinda figured that out.

Perhaps I should be more specific. This disc has no deep gouges, or chips. It has worn in very evenly (which is why I stressed no "break points" in the seasoning) and looks quite new, although it definitely feels seasoned.

I bought it a year ago. While it wasn't my goto driver, it was second in line, but saw no action after the beginning of November. I didn't expect so much of the fade to disappear so soon, and when it finally did disappear, I expected it to be almost instantly flippy after that point.

What I have now, and have had for the last 6 weeks or so, isn't flippy at all, and almost fadeless. It was unexpected, and I wanted some feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
might have more to do with you beating up a mold that wears in well rather than buying something that flies well when new and having it get squirrley as it beats in.
Maybe I'll just have to put it away and do it with another this year and see if I can duplicate the result.

Last edited by deBebbler; 04-15-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 56
Niced 15 Times in 9 Posts

In my experience, Champ plastic will retain it's original flight characteristics for an extremely long time, and break in very slowly. However, after being broken in a long time (3+ years playing 5x a week), they get to a point where they are like dx plastic and just start getting really flippy really quickly.

However, I hate champion plastic and I've only kept 2 champ discs for more than 1 year (both of them I kept for about 4 years and only right before then did they get to that point of being ridiculously flippy and beat in.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Please, oh please, let this last 2 years.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 191
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
You must be incredibly lucky, because champion plastic loses its high speed stability before its low speed stability. DX plastic (and some star molds, notably the star eagle-x) tend to lose their fade before their high speed stability starts to go.

^^^my general observations as well

in my experience champ plastic looses its HSS slowly at first with retaining its LSS. after some time the HSS will be noticably different and you will very very slowly see the LSS start to wear off. then they seem to hit a stop point for a few seasons were they barely change at all. at about the 4-6 season (depending on time played of course) mark they start to change rapidally. this is were i tend to get a new one.
i only carry a few discs in 'champion' plastic, their mostly the discs i throw into sticky situations. i do want the disc to change just from playing ping pong in the trees.