Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 52
Niced 297 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol6566 View Post
Mids allow you to throw the same lines as a putter but without the height. I can throw my putters 250+, but to do that they need a lot of height and room to work. On the course Id much rather just disc up to something faster and get the same results on a lower line.

Same with approaches, instead of powering up a putter, just disc up to a mid and get there easily. I dont throw my mids a lot, but when I do they are invaluable
this. I've lately been trying to make use of my putters for longer approach shots, and am bagging one mid (Mako), and three putters (KC Aviar, Whale, Polecat). for open shots I'm doing fine with the putters, but the Mako lets me thread the needle when I have to. as another poster mentioned, taking a class OUT of your bag will show you how much you "need" it in your quiver.

oh, and FWIW, I'm an unabashed mid lover, so take these words with a grain of salt...
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 631 Times in 422 Posts

I have mids in the bag because they hit certain lines with ease. I agree there are certain courses where I could get by without them, mainly wide open courses. I also admit there's some overlap of my putters with my mids (and in some cases, my putters can go even farther than the mids), but those mids just hit the desired lines a lot better.

If you're a primarily forehand player, as someone supposed, I can give some suggestions. I find speed 5 a nice speed (Buzzz, for me) for less-than-full-power forehands, e.g. 220' straight shots or woodsy forehand turnover approaches from weird stances. Took some work, but those shots are really useful and I haven't been able to duplicate them with a putter or fairway. I also bag a Comet, which seems to be able to do things other discs can't.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Par Member

Niced 21 Times in 19 Posts

Switching to envy/proxy almost knocked my mids completely out of my bag. They get such easy distance and are extremely controllable and are also easy to flick. Mids that I do have that are great for when I need a bit extra distance but still not quite fairway distance are a compass (for dead straight shots), mvp matrix (longer envy), kastaplast kaxe (which is great on forehand shots), and also a gator for the really beefy shots.

I'd recommend that Kastaplast Kaxe or Kaxe Z for the in between role.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

I didn't carry mids for the last two seasons. Didn't miss them. Then recently I tossed a bard and a warship back in the bag. They come out now when I don't want to throw my putters too hard. Similar lines to my putters, but less effort and more accuracy. It's strange I'll drive with a putter before a mid, but lately mids are getting the call up for approaches. The older I get the effort I put into a shot is becoming more important to me than the disc if that makes sense.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:37 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,088 Times in 731 Posts

Midranges in general are the true tweener mold of DG today.

We have so many faster putters and slower drivers that mids can get lost in the mix. Id also argue make the best molds to learn on and as a single disc mold. So on one hand they are "the best" and other hand they can be "useless". (especially very OS ones )

Look at it this way- some older drivers were basically large diameter mids of today. The old floaty putters are pretty much no longer a thing for most players as finesse disc golf has gone out the window.

I use two kinds of mids: slightly OS/stable faster mid and slighty US slower mid.

The faster stable mid is used like a longer version of my putter. Lower lines and some skip action headwind etc.. The US mold can pretty much fly on any line but a helix so it gets used as an easier to throw putter kind of mold or precision driver for carving up tight lines.

Be able to throw putters well doesnt take throws away from mids it just shows how they can be useful. I love mashing an ion or proxy but the ladies out on the course dont really care what my disc speed is...

Hmm what are we talking about again?

Old 01-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Niced 697 Times in 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol6566 View Post
Mids allow you to throw the same lines as a putter but without the height. I can throw my putters 250+, but to do that they need a lot of height and room to work. On the course Id much rather just disc up to something faster and get the same results on a lower line.

Same with approaches, instead of powering up a putter, just disc up to a mid and get there easily. I dont throw my mids a lot, but when I do they are invaluable
This was the post I agreed with the most.
I love mids because:
Lower lines
More wind resistant
Faster
More distance OR same D as putters with lower power requirement
Geometries and weight allocations allow some flight paths not available in a putter configuration
Larger diameters can yield better glide

I play super heavily wooded courses so these things are very beneficial to me. I noticed I don't use my mids as much on open courses unless it is the appropriate disc from the tee. On longer holes it is usually either distance-putter or fairway-putter (or fairway-putter-putter-putter LOL) On our longest holes it is usually distance-fairway-putter. i'm not opposed to using mids in the open but they don't usually seem to make sense when I'm previewing shot candidates in my mind.
Wooded holes are a different beast all together IMO.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 14
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I know a lot of people who don't throw mids at all; they're more comfortable powering down a fairway or powering up a putter. For me personally, I love my mids, but I usually only carry 3-4 (US, straight, straight-OS, and OS). I don't like to power down molds and I prefer to let discs fly like they were designed to. A putter will only go around 270-280' on the course, mids up to 310-320', fairways up to 375' and so on. I play better knowing that on a 300 foot hole, I can throw a mid strong and get it there, rather than guessing how much I have to take off of a fairway driver and risk it hyzering out early, blowing past the basket, etc.

So a long answer to your question, I love my mids and use them all the time because of my throwing style. I would try playing a bunch of one or two disc rounds with only mids to learn them better. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34
Courses Played: 30
Niced 112 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
Well maybe not existential exactly... but I'm looking to have a thread about the purpose of midrange discs.
I had a discussion just last week that touched on this. I mentioned that in the Long Ago, what set apart my midrange from my drivers was simply how I used them. My speed 4 Shark was my designated mid while my speed 4 Stingray was a driver. Why was that? I thought of the Stingray as a driver because I could more readily get it to carry longer and could control the flight better--meaning better accuracy--at full power. At lower power, though, the Stingray wasn't as responsive, while the Shark proved really reliable for me.

So, if you're getting consistent control with fast putters out to where you get the same consistent control with a powered-down fairway, then you prolly don't have much use for mids. Figure out which discs provide you with the ability to shape the shots at each distance and you're good, whether or not you have any discs classified as mids.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Niced 697 Times in 315 Posts

One thing I forgot to mention is that Nikko rarely- if ever- uses a mid. So mids are not completely necessary even at the top level. I should mention that Nikko is in the minority which is why he is noteworthy in this example.

I have seen Nikko crush his putter 400'. If I had that kind of power then my disc selection would surely change.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:16 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,804 Times in 722 Posts

There are a lot of courses that take mids out of my game. Park style courses that don't force one shot over the other and set up with a lot of 300'+ drives. The distance makes me use a driver off the tee and generally from there I'm throwing a putter. I'll go rounds with the mids along for the ride.

Better courses put me in situations where I'm forced into hitting a certain line, and the mids come out.

Niced: (2)