Old 06-28-2017, 03:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 201
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 992 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achasteen View Post
I'm curious about the different types of plastic. I'm used to the mediocre Champion plastic, but I don't have anything to compare it to. What are the benefits to Pro and DX etc?
Nothing mediocre about Champion. Z/champion are my favorite. I haven't had any problems with grip, and it's basically impossible to beat them too much before you lose them.

Pro and DX are both a bit cheaper, and both beat in more quickly, which is desirable in some cases. They also tend to fly less overstable in general. Star and Champion are the true "premium" plastics, which means they aren't as cheap but also last forever.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 68 Times in 38 Posts

Get an Archangel in upper 150,s to lower 160,s.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:10 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyboy View Post
Get an Archangel in upper 150,s to lower 160,s.
How does the Archangel 8/6/-4/1 compare to my Sail 11/5/-5/1? I want something that doesn't roll as easily. I'm afraid these might be too similar.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:22 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I would definately suggest a Leo or Leo3 unless you can get ahold of a River or FD.
Can anyone link a good forum or compare the FD vs River vs Leo?

I was wondering which has the most consistent flight pattern and is the most forgiving for beginners?

Which has the best understability, but without turning into a roller?

Which flies the furthest (throwing at the same arm speed)?

Wish I could sample discs before making a purchase. Thanks again people!
Old 06-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 567 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:

I was wondering which has the most consistent flight pattern and is the most forgiving for beginners?

I've yet to throw an FD but prefer a River over the Leo, but also limited experience. My experience is the River is just easier to control, but I also have only thrown DX leopards and a champ Leo3.

That said when I was starting I went to the local shop and Playitagainsports and looked for cheap used discs to get a feeling, even buying a couple of the same mold too see how much they varied with wear and plastic. Buy for $10 or $12 and then sell back the ones I didn't want for ~$6-ish. Makes it a bit easier on the wallet to experiment, though you can't always find what you are looking for you might find something that just works.

The threads I like usually end up in the Disc subforum even if they don't start there, but search there for things like favorite midrange, favorite Fairway, or favorite disc from each brand. Usually those are generally popular discs so they can readily be found used, as well you can find out WHY people like them.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:10 AM

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 34
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

Try a discraft heat!!!

Old 07-01-2017, 02:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 176
Niced 163 Times in 82 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

Do a barrel roll
Old 07-01-2017, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,631 Times in 1,656 Posts

Quote:

I would say Leo and FD are similar in flight, with the FD being a touch faster and a touch longer. The River can have more fade or lots of turn depending on weight...they can also be very long but also are prone to being a little more finicky. It's hard to describe but I think the River is the hardest to throw consistently of those, but is also capable of the most incredible glidey flights out of those when thrown correctly.

That video compares the River and FD.

I would lean toward an S-line FD, it is a true straight/laser fairway driver for those under 300' of power, and it is very good distance past that while being extremely workable on all lines. The Leopard is very similar, but may be 15' shorter....it really depends on the thrower for if that is the case or not. The Leopard has the possibility of being more stable than wanted if you go to champ plastic, so I would look at Gstar or Pro in a Leopard or Leopard3 (I haven't thrown fresh star). In the FD I think S-line is laser straight for most people.

The River can be a great disc but I just think if you throw it cleanly it will fade, if you torque it, it will roll over easily. It's a bit too finicky if you are having an off day, but frustratingly it can fly so far if thrown cleanly which makes you stick with it. The FD I think is capable of all that the River is.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 175
Niced 2,625 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I'm curious about the different types of plastic. I'm used to the mediocre Champion plastic, but I don't have anything to compare it to. What are the benefits to Pro and DX etc?

What about the Leopard3 version vs the original? I assume they are trying to improve a classic. If they sell so many, shouldn't the sequel be even better? That was my thinking with the Mako3.

I'm definitely looking into the River and FD discs as well, but I'm more familiar with the Innova brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Basically the Leopard3 is usually flatter than the normal Leopard. All of the 3 series discs are usually flatter than their normal counterparts, though I have seen some really domey Roc3s, Mako3s, and a couple Leo3s. I would definately suggest a Leo or Leo3 unless you can get ahold of a River or FD though any disc under speed 10 that has a negative sum of turn and fade would work well. Basically DX, Pro and Star are all grippier than Champion though none will be as durable. In order from least durable to most durable the plastics are DX, R-Pro, Pro, XT, Star, GStar and Champ.
Yeah, to expand on what ILUVSMGS18 said above, the Mako3 is supposed to be flatter than the Mako. When the Mako first came out (like the protostars) it was really flat and flew like a putter/mid hybrid, buttery smooth and straight. Then all the production Makos tended to be super domey. The Mako3's I've felt up in the store all looked a lot closer to the originals so you're probably golden in the midrange department.

All of the fairway driver/small rimmed distance driver recommendations are good. The FD is basically the en vogue JLS or Gazelle, older FW drivers that were great workhorse line shapers but don't come in many plastics now (like the Gazelle or Cheetah) or harder to find b/c they're from smaller brands (like the JLS or Polaris). The best MVP/Axiom discs in this category are probably the Relay and Crave, the Leopard3 is probably good but a domey Leopard in Champ or Star is still classic and shouldn't be too flippy for you (the DX and Pro Leos might). Saints, Rivers, Escapes, are all good Latitude/Westside/Dynamic options but are a bit faster than a FW driver so they can be more nose angle sensitive. The Seer in max weight might not be too flippy for you at your distance, it's basically Westside's Leopard. I can keep going, there are a lot of really good fairway drivers at the moment. You can even go with old classics like a DX Teebird or DX Eagle-X and do great.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Niced 16 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffm789 View Post
Try a discraft heat!!!
This