Old 03-12-2018, 10:44 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a new player (been playing maybe three months) I quickly fell in love with the TDx as my FH disc. At 9/5/-3/1, it's fairly easy to get to flip up, and will definitely tell you if you release it wrong. I'm currently throwing it consistently 250-275 FH with a nice flip and glide before a soft, predictable fade. On a bad release, however, it will absolutely take off left. If you're "lucky," your release will be so bad that it will dump and roll. If you're not? It will take off left and then stable up and glide straight, so hopefully there's nothing left you can lose it in.

I haven't tried to FH my FDs much, but I don't see why they'd be a bad choice to FH.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2018, 11:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 201
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 992 Times in 626 Posts

This guy has it down.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 471
Niced 1,385 Times in 423 Posts

I know some time has past since the original post, but I just came across this thread.

I personally RHFH a champion boss and can generally get 350 consistently and have pushed it up over 400 when the stars align. I have tried the tern before using a flick shot but it would just turn over into the ground like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achasteen View Post
I am currently using a Champion Tern for throwing sidearm. I am trying find a better disc. Sometimes it rolls on me or doesn’t fade much. What is your “go-to” disc for throwing sidearm? I am really hoping to perfect my throw this year.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 630 Times in 413 Posts

Well one necro bump deserves another, so here's my unsolicited 2c:

You mention that FHing mids and putters feels weird - yeah, FH can be a little more susceptible to feeling awkward at first than backhand. Truly through, go out to a field and practice FH with every one of your discs, from that Tern, to something fast and OS, to all your mids and putters. You won't love how they all fly, but figure out how to release all of them smoothly and without flutter. This is not easy, especially with chunky molds like Comets and putters, but just slow down as far as is necessary. You'll get better, it will feel less awkward. As you increase your power, if you notice that flutter creeping back in, just slow down and smooth out until it disappears.

FH for me felt incredibly awkward; the best I could do was squeeze out a yucky 100' flex with a Flick. But then I taught my dog to fetch a champ roadrunner in the field next to my house, and the rest is history...
Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 18 Times in 12 Posts

My go-to distance drivers are Vibram Lace and O-Lace. Used to be Innova Starfire. I use Lat64 XXX and Tridents often when a heavy fade is needed.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:57 AM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 9
Niced 270 Times in 171 Posts

For utility, Ti nuke, is super beefy and goes right every time. For straight shots a colossus works for me, it doesn't go far but it works. A good mid for flicking is a gold line compass, mine is super straight.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 18
Niced 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Well one necro bump deserves another, so here's my unsolicited 2c:

You mention that FHing mids and putters feels weird - yeah, FH can be a little more susceptible to feeling awkward at first than backhand. Truly through, go out to a field and practice FH with every one of your discs, from that Tern, to something fast and OS, to all your mids and putters. You won't love how they all fly, but figure out how to release all of them smoothly and without flutter. This is not easy, especially with chunky molds like Comets and putters, but just slow down as far as is necessary. You'll get better, it will feel less awkward. As you increase your power, if you notice that flutter creeping back in, just slow down and smooth out until it disappears.

FH for me felt incredibly awkward; the best I could do was squeeze out a yucky 100' flex with a Flick. But then I taught my dog to fetch a champ roadrunner in the field next to my house, and the rest is history...
I'm actually more comfortable flicking midrange and putter discs on approach shots under 200' than forehand driving with anything. My go-to approach shot is often a forehand with a Roc or one of my putters. For full-strength driving, I need something overstable, or at least stable with a big wing, like a heavy Katana, to tone down the off-axis torque, because I'm just not as smooth flicking it hard.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 43.5
Courses Played: 251
Niced 133 Times in 85 Posts

Every disc in my bag. Well, except for the Aero.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 167
Niced 197 Times in 134 Posts

The Firebird is my best sidearm disc.