Old 10-19-2020, 07:49 PM

Niced 8 Times in 1 Post

The audience appeal of different course structures is an interesting discussion. But, I think graphics and money solve the trackability issues and can take coverage to a whole new level. You know those Par Save Productions shot summaries on the bird eye view map after each hole? (image below). Imagine if you could see those live as the shot was happening on the corner/side of the screen. You'd have so much more context and be able to know immediately how good/bad the shot ended up and it would probably make life easier for the commentators too.

Add on all the other fancy things from the PGA/other sports have like live follow flights and slow motion swing breakdowns which make coverage more interesting. I think televised Disc Golf is still very much in its infancy and the ceiling on production quality is a long way off.

Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2020, 08:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,664 Times in 922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
As for DG, I hope we never get the viewership to make the game acceptable to a mainstream audience.
Not really understanding that. What is negative about the pro side of the sport having a potentially very large mainstream audience?
Old 10-19-2020, 08:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 172
Niced 213 Times in 92 Posts

Hornet’s Nest has quite a few holes with sharp doglegs that require very precise placement. Think about hole 17 - you can be in the middle of the fairway, but still have no good shot around the corner, requiring a short little placement shot just to get to the corner. Even having played the course a number of times, I had trouble telling exactly where the pros were landing in relation to those corners, and gauging whether their shots were good enough. I can imagine new viewers finding that hard to follow as well. As an aside, I personally don’t enjoy playing Hornet’s Nest for that reason, it’s not very fun to throw chip shots at those corners, and there’s a few too many holes like that.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 432 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokebyt View Post
The audience appeal of different course structures is an interesting discussion. But, I think graphics and money solve the trackability issues and can take coverage to a whole new level. You know those Par Save Productions shot summaries on the bird eye view map after each hole? (image below). Imagine if you could see those live as the shot was happening on the corner/side of the screen. You'd have so much more context and be able to know immediately how good/bad the shot ended up and it would probably make life easier for the commentators too.

Add on all the other fancy things from the PGA/other sports have like live follow flights and slow motion swing breakdowns which make coverage more interesting. I think televised Disc Golf is still very much in its infancy and the ceiling on production quality is a long way off.

Along those lines, I was thinking that a split screen overhead shot with a follow flight kind of tracking of the drone as it flies through the woods could help to understand the hole layout. Not the actual drone flight—couldn’t see it in thick woods. Just a highlight of the path.

On some of the broadcast they show a shot of the map for a hole, but it doesn’t present the line. I’d have to pause the playback and look closely to get anything from it.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-19-2020, 10:42 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Niced 2,666 Times in 1,118 Posts

Ideally, the quality or meaning of a throw needs to be immediately visible or understood even by inexperienced viewers. If you have to use fancy graphics and/or commentary to explain a shot, it's a bit like having to explain a joke.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-20-2020, 12:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 117
Niced 910 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
The ESPN2 footage will be 2 hours long but is also supposed to have some player introduction stuff. I think that might appeal to some casual viewers but hope it doesn’t mean there will be a lot of actual tournament round action skipped over.
Unfortunately, I fear that you will be sorely disappointed.

The ESPN2 coverage is two hours and it is showing both FPO and MPO, right? So that's 36 holes of golf.

A typical 9 hole edited round is 30 minutes. So without any other interruptions, 36 holes can fit into 2 hours of edited footage.

However, with the "player profile" type content and commercials, it just doesn't seem to leave time for hole by hole/shot by shot coverage. It will be very interesting to see what Jomez and co. can do within the timeframe limitations.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-20-2020, 12:38 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Ideally, the quality or meaning of a throw needs to be immediately visible or understood even by inexperienced viewers. If you have to use fancy graphics and/or commentary to explain a shot, it's a bit like having to explain a joke.
Jokes aren't as funny if there is no studio audience, canned laughter, or rim shot. I say bring on the graphics and commentators. This ain't bowling; there is no way inexperienced viewers could understand what makes a disc golf throw good or bad - even if they see it live.

To illustrate; one question that came up a lot when I ran the beginner league was: "How do you know which trees to hit?"

Old 10-20-2020, 04:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 942 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
To illustrate; one question that came up a lot when I ran the beginner league was: "How do you know which trees to hit?"
Thats golden!

Also, at one point back in the day when trying to get maintenance for our course, the parks & recreation head honcho asked me "just how short does the grass need to be to be nice to walk on". I had to do a double take to understand that he had no clue that we dont need manicured golf fairways just that the grass isnt long enough to lose a disc in.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:44 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 18
Niced 83 Times in 46 Posts

I managed to not learn the winners and got to watch them on Jomez yesterday and was on the edge of my seat watching hole 18 of MPO. Hopefully this will make for good TV on ESPN2 when it airs.

On another note, that was easily the worst I have ever seen Calvin Heimberg play.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:04 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Niced 2,666 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Jokes aren't as funny if there is no studio audience, canned laughter, or rim shot. I say bring on the graphics and commentators. This ain't bowling; there is no way inexperienced viewers could understand what makes a disc golf throw good or bad - even if they see it live.

Commentators and graphics are useful to set up the context of the next shot. But once it's thrown, it's better if the result is visible or understandable such as did the player sink the putt or not, did the player get out of jail and close enough to be able to make the next putt, did the shot land clean in the wooded fairway, etc. While bird's eye views are intuitive to many, there are many who have difficulty translating hole overview maps into what it means on the ground.

There is an answer to "which tree to hit". Decide which route gives you the better chance to hit a tree closer to the basket if every route has trees to avoid.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 10-20-2020 at 10:08 AM.