Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which of these best describes Hole 18 at the Utah Open?
A par 2 where 38% of throws are errors, and 1% of throws are hero throws. 6 25.00%
A par 3 where 24% of throws are errors, and 33% of throws are hero throws. 16 66.67%
A par 4 where 16% of throws are hero throws, and 23% are double heroes. 1 4.17%
A par 5 where 37% of throws are hero throws, and 21% are double heroes. 0 0%
A par 6 where 16% of throws are hero throws, and 62% are double heroes. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4121  
Old 10-19-2020, 05:07 PM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Posts: 5,495
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,094 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Steve, it's refreshing to see that you still do not understand par, nor do you recognize the two issues that prevent disc golf from ever have a definition of par that makes you happy.
Yep. Too bad no one has ever been able to explain it to me in a way that made sense.

Hey wait a minute! I am happy with the definition of par.

Aren't you?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #4122  
Old 10-20-2020, 09:31 AM
johnrhouck johnrhouck is offline
.:Master Course Designer:.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin TX
Years Playing: 44.6
Posts: 650
Niced 308 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgservo View Post
One hole that had the most scoring variance went 30/35/25/10. A par 4 with a specific landing zone, a mando, thick rough on one side, and OB road on the other side. That seems like a really good one.
It probably doesn't need to be said, but: we should all remember that things like thick rough, mandos, and road OB can make for better scoring spreads, but good scoring spreads do not necessarily indicate good holes.

Reply With Quote
  #4123  
Old 10-20-2020, 10:17 AM
Ryan P.'s Avatar
Ryan P. Ryan P. is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Asheboro, NC
Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 62
Posts: 1,878
Niced 176 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
It probably doesn't need to be said, but: we should all remember that things like thick rough, mandos, and road OB can make for better scoring spreads, but good scoring spreads do not necessarily indicate good holes.
I've been thinking this for years. It's nice to see that someone legit thinks this too. Thanks John.
Reply With Quote
  #4124  
Old 10-20-2020, 11:27 AM
PMantle's Avatar
PMantle PMantle is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alexandria, La.
Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,213
Niced 939 Times in 634 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Yep. Too bad no one has ever been able to explain it to me in a way that made sense.

Hey wait a minute! I am happy with the definition of par.

Aren't you?
You mean, the one where the designer puts it on the tee sign? Yup.
Reply With Quote
  #4125  
Old 10-20-2020, 03:00 PM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Posts: 5,495
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,094 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
You mean, the one where the designer puts it on the tee sign? Yup.
Yes, when the designer puts the score that an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions on the tee sign.
Reply With Quote
  #4126  
Old 10-20-2020, 05:16 PM
PMantle's Avatar
PMantle PMantle is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alexandria, La.
Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,213
Niced 939 Times in 634 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Yes, when the designer puts the score that an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions on the tee sign.
I have never seen that happen.
Reply With Quote
  #4127  
Old 10-20-2020, 06:11 PM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Posts: 5,495
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,094 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I have never seen that happen.
It would be hard for it not to happen. If they just put a "3" they've got about an 85% chance if hitting the right number.

What do you think they put on the tee sign? What should they put?
Reply With Quote
  #4128  
Old 10-21-2020, 03:34 PM
PMantle's Avatar
PMantle PMantle is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alexandria, La.
Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,213
Niced 939 Times in 634 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
It would be hard for it not to happen. If they just put a "3" they've got about an 85% chance if hitting the right number.

What do you think they put on the tee sign? What should they put?
No way. Most would be 2.

What they put on the tee sign is the par. They should put the par.
Reply With Quote
  #4129  
Old 10-21-2020, 04:12 PM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Posts: 5,495
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,094 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
No way. Most would be 2.
Not most. Some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
What they put on the tee sign is the par. They should put the par.
So we agree, since par is officially the score that an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions (it's in the Rules of Play).
Reply With Quote
 

  #4130  
Old 10-21-2020, 05:04 PM
PMantle's Avatar
PMantle PMantle is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alexandria, La.
Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,213
Niced 939 Times in 634 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Not most. Some.



So we agree, since par is officially the score that an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions (it's in the Rules of Play).
Those are two different things.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deuce or die par 3's or play for par, par 3's? BrotherDave Disc Golf Courses 34 06-24-2020 04:02 AM
Par 4s - multiple in a row or sprinkle par 3s into them? ToddL Course Design 9 02-23-2018 10:47 AM
Poorly designed par 4,5,and par 6 holes and bad high par courses optidiscic Course Design 159 09-12-2014 11:53 AM
Cgkdisc and jeverett talk about par Steve West Course Design 53 05-05-2012 09:37 AM
Par and Pro Par for multiple tees with different pars? marcusmpe General Disc Golf Chat 6 04-26-2010 07:13 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.