Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 763 Times in 295 Posts
Default Reptilian Disc Golf: First Proprietary Mold

Hey guys! As most of you know, RDG has gone above and beyond what I ever anticipated when we started it up last year. We've sold a lot of discs, made some really neat connections and have developed a thirst for the next step.

I've really bonded with DaveMac & the boys at gateway as well. This leads me to the most unique opportunity RDG has ever been presented with. I want to make our own disc. Whether it be a new mold, variant of a current Gatewy mold or something entirely different from the previous two options. Currently I have two ideas that I've boiled it down to. I need all the advice I can get on what you'd like to see, try & bag

OPTION 1: create a new bottom/core for the Gateway midrange setup. As many of you have previously read, I'm a warrior fanatic. It's the perfect substitute for a Sentinel (the good, Sanny Q's). They're fast and incredibly reliable. The only qualm that I have is the rounded inner rim. We've already discussed creating a more conventional squared away inner rim like the old element-x bottom. This would allow us to run the warrior, element & karma in a more comfortable, traditional fashion. In conjunction with the new bottom, Dave and I are planning on developing a "new" plastic blend that can be both baseline yet premium. Think, 11x rocs. I've always loved breaking in discs and old KC is about as good as it gets IMO. So in summary, a new conventional rimmed core for some of the most underrated mids in the game, molded in a firm, KC like plastic. Folks dreaming of KC Pr Sentinels, hold onto your hats

OPTION 2: create a textured nose for the wizard. Dave has always been a big proponent of altering surface complexion to achieve desired results. He has an idea on creating a mold that would allow us to basically rough up the leading edge of the putter creating a nose that would be a superior chain catcher. The surface etching would only be around the chain catching area of the disc. We would not cover the disc in the texture as we want grip & flight integrity to remain. This would allow us to create a "Scale" effect on the edge and make a wholly unique feeling, looking, & performing disc both in and out of the circle. We also have tossed around the idea of increasing the size of the bead slightly to increase stability to produce the most OS putter at Gateway Disc Sports.
Name: the RDG Scale It's just too easy and perfect.

Now I would say eventually, both discs will be produced. IMO, it's a lower investment, more practical route to build the ultimate midrange collection before dabbling in a putter realm that is pretty different. That said, midranges aren't sexy and surely we would make more $ off the Scale if we do it correctly.
In the end, RDG is and always has been a "non profit" company. Both Matt & I have full time jobs elsewhere and we really just want to make the biggest dent in the DG community that we can. I appreciate the support, advice, criticism & love I have received from DGCR over the last year & I'm excited to hear what you all have to say about our next big move.

Thanks for reading my novel. If you're made it to here, I applaud you
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 59
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a dream come true! The scale sounds like an interesting idea... one question on that. Will there be a left handed and a right handed version?
(seeing as how scales grab in one direction)
Old 11-21-2014, 09:36 AM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 51
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

awesome news brotha and very glad to hear!!!!! .. if i had to choose one i would go Option 1 .. i have only thrown a warrior a handful of times and liked the flight but as you mentioned the rim kept me away but i agree option 2 would prob be better received by the masses ..again congrats on how RDG has grown its been fun to watch and the future looks oh so bright!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 323 Times in 160 Posts

Mids would probably the fastest option to get to market, but I think would be tough to get people to break away from what they currently throw. I think enough people would be intrigued by a scaled putter to at least buy one to try out.

I guess it really depends on the outcome you're looking for, putter would provably sell more discs initially. New mid core would lead to an entire category pretty much right away.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramiecarlson View Post
What a dream come true! The scale sounds like an interesting idea... one question on that. Will there be a left handed and a right handed version?
(seeing as how scales grab in one direction)
Lol very true. Due to financial reasons...we will have to develop an ambidextrous scaled mold.

This move could be the end of RDG and result in me having thousands of discs in my basements until I die, but in the end, WHY NOT?!

I too think Option 1 is the more conventional, easier to market choice. But the FB goons will surely go nuts for a built to grab putter.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Broad Street Bully

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 9 Times in 9 Posts

Whatever you do, I'm going to support you guys..

But I like Option 2 more.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,207 Times in 2,176 Posts

Congrats JCass! I'm leaning towards the midrange option!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:59 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,128 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
Lol very true. Due to financial reasons...we will have to develop an ambidextrous scaled mold.

This move could be the end of RDG and result in me having thousands of discs in my basements until I die, but in the end, WHY NOT?!

I too think Option 1 is the more conventional, easier to market choice. But the FB goons will surely go nuts for a built to grab putter.
a bigger bead OS wizard seems like a smart choice in terms of molds to piggyback off of. More sale potential too from multiple purchases of putters vs a single mid.

FWIW I have never seen or even encountered a warrior in the wild woods of DG. LOTS of wizards though.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,207 Times in 2,176 Posts

It's a shame because the Warrior is a great disc!

Old 11-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
a bigger bead OS wizard seems like a smart choice in terms of molds to piggyback off of. More sale potential too from multiple purchases of putters vs a single mid.

FWIW I have never seen or even encountered a warrior in the wild woods of DG. LOTS of wizards though.
Valid point. I'm just a midrange freak so the "perfect" midrange is alluring to me.

That said, even DaveMac is urging me to consider the Scale. If it's a hit, I'm sure he'll introduce an official textured wizard to the market. Regardless I'm so stoked to have a relationship with GDS like we do and I hope our mold can be mutually beneficial.