Old 10-04-2020, 02:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 349 Times in 198 Posts
Question Low speed turnover

For a low speed turnover shot in the 100-200 foot range, do you use an understable disc, and throw it flat to let it naturally turn and ride that turnover line? Or do you pick a more stable line riding disc like a mako3 and give it a touch of anny and let it follow that?

I'm not talking about bigger distances, I'm specifically looking for a finesse shot where I want to use a backhand instead of a forehand. This morning I went out to a field with a stack of sol's, a mako3, and an archer.
From a standstill and throwing with a flat release at a 150-200 foot power range, the sol's all turned a decent bit, and faded a tad just as it plopped to the ground. The mako3 was dead straight, and the archer turned a good bit but landed flat.
Putting a touch of anny on the throw let the mako turn further than the archer did thrown flat, while still landing softly (not turning over)

So is it more common "best practice" to utilize the turn of the disc to shape your shot (if you're trying to get a long turnover) or is it common to put anny on everything you want to make go right (for RHBH) right out of the gate? I throw a lot of backhand flex shots with an overstable disc, so for me, I fall into that latter category and I think from my experiment this morning, the mako3 seems to be the best fit for my game, but my question has more to do with am I missing something by not thinking the other way?

Edit: for what it's worth, I can't get my zflx buzzz to do what I want here. It flies exactly how I want it to on an anny line, but I am talking about a throw that rides the turn line more than that and still lands flat
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Blobfish; 10-04-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:17 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 192 Times in 119 Posts

Most anything putter-ish will turnover on anhyzer for that short distance - P2, Deputy, Spin, Warden, Judge. I practice them in the yard. Biggest problem for me is having enough space left off the tee (rhbh). There’s ALWAYS a tree there.

Edit: if I’m trying to let the disc do the work on a flat release, I use a Discraft Stratus. That Sol should be great too. Have to find the right power to throw.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-04-2020, 03:36 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 785 Times in 371 Posts

IMO the "best practice" is to know your discs and be able to adjust your angles/height as necessary. Either approach can work, so whichever you are more consistent with is the better one.

If how a disc flies depends on a combination of what the thrower does and what the disc does, I'd rather have the outcome more dependent on what the thrower does. Therefore I would pick the stable disc and manipulate it to how I want it to fly. I feel like throwing a flippy disc leaves too much of the outcome dependent on the disc. Basically I want to control the disc. Some people prefer to have the disc do the work. Again, it is a preference, and whichever is more consistent for each player is the way to go.

For the type of shot you describe, I throw a stable putter with whichever combination of anhyzer and height is needed.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-04-2020, 03:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Niced 349 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
IMO the "best practice" is to know your discs and be able to adjust your angles/height as necessary. Either approach can work, so whichever you are more consistent with is the better one.

If how a disc flies depends on a combination of what the thrower does and what the disc does, I'd rather have the outcome more dependent on what the thrower does. Therefore I would pick the stable disc and manipulate it to how I want it to fly. I feel like throwing a flippy disc leaves too much of the outcome dependent on the disc. Basically I want to control the disc. Some people prefer to have the disc do the work. Again, it is a preference, and whichever is more consistent for each player is the way to go.

For the type of shot you describe, I throw a stable putter with whichever combination of anhyzer and height is needed.
That's my thought exactly, but I wasn't sure if I was missing something by thinking that way. I didn't want to buy any more discs just for this and the mako3 rides that line at low speed very well.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:49 PM
Par Member

Niced 63 Times in 47 Posts

I take a 161g Star Mirage, give it 30-50% power while throwing flat and nose down, and it will turn over naturally in that 100-150 foot range, and never come out of it.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-04-2020, 09:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 41.3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 245 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post

This ^ fellow's onto something.
'Turnover' is a term generally used for shots thrown with more force - the thrower 'forces' the disc to turn with speed or the the disc is 'under stable' at that speed and 'turns' by itself.

For a situation as you described, a 'touch shot' (and for almost all shots in this distance range), a slower speed shot is in order. Neutral discs work well for this situation and they may be thrown on a natural 'anhyzer' curve, which is easier with a slightly higher line. 'Touch' also implies getting an accurate feel for specific distances.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,673 Times in 926 Posts

I also was on a quest for a 200ft and under turn over disc a while back and found out putters are perfect for this. Magic, Deputy out of the box otherwise beat the hell out of one of your favorite throwing putters.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-05-2020, 02:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 574 Times in 399 Posts

So this is something I've been expirimenting with myself recently. My Sol and Comet do similar lines, but take different ways to get there. Sol needs a bit on anny for me, while the Comet will float over naturally if I don't give it any hyzer.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,631 Times in 1,605 Posts

Discraft X Putt'r

Old 10-05-2020, 09:55 AM
Par Member

Niced 77 Times in 46 Posts

I haven't thrown a sol but I do bag a champ mako3 and both a beat up ESP archer and a fairly fresh Z archer.

I'd use any of the 3 discs for that shot depending on the situation, On the shorter end of that distance range I'd also use a fierce or any similarly understable putter.

My ESP archer is the least stable of the 3 options, so I'd use that in a situation where I either want to start on anny and have the disc to stay on anny all the way to the ground. Or I want to start the disc flat to try to push out pretty far around something and still work back on anny to the pin. I'd use the Mako3 in situations where I want a similar shot to the ESP archer but instead of anny into the ground I want it to fight out and stall, which makes for a softer landing and less roll away. The Z archer works as a step above the mako in stability but for 100-200' approaches I don't find myself reaching for it. If the anny line requires more angle than the mako can fight out of I'll switch to a more stable midrange/approach disc like the wasp or zone.

The Z archer being the most stable of the 3 gets pulled out for the longer 200'+ shots, I can throw it flat at 200' and it will slowly drift with just a touch of hyzer at the end. I've found I can play with the height of the shot to help control how long it has to hyzer back towards the center. It also has just enough stability that I also use it on a severe hyzer angle for a flip up turnover for tee shots in the 270-320' range where I know my forehand doesn't have the distance.