Old 01-17-2020, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,359 Times in 961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
I think this is more about status, or the feeling of achievement than anything. I think people want to say they are a sponsored athlete, especially when talking to people that don't necessarily play disc golf.
If i ever refer to myself as such someone please shoot me.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2020, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 82 Times in 50 Posts

Here is my take on things. There are 3 logical reasons someone wants to become a sponsored player. #1 for some of us competing in sports makes the most sense when we are a part of a "team". I grew up playing football and played through college. When I was done, for the first time in my life, I did not have something bigger to be a part of. I watched my friend get picked up by lat 64 and how it gave him a "purpose" so that is when my dream of chasing a sponsorship started. #2 there is 100% a sense of achievement that comes along with it. Knowing that someone is willing to take a risk on you and allow you to promote their brand officially can feel great. Granted the pressure that comes with it can be daunting from time to time especially if your game starts to fall off or you have a bad day on the course. But there is no denying that feeling of achievement is a motivating factor. #3 truly loving the company that you are chasing. I have been a DM fan since I first threw a PD and 95% of my bag was already DM. I worked my way onto the "media team" and eventually onto the lowest tier of the actual team. Being a huge fanboy, having a direct connection to the company feels like a dream come true.

Sponsorship and everything that goes along with it isn't for everyone. Some days I think about what it would have been like if I had just kept a casual relationship with disc golf and not chased after "something" whatever that be. For me I have always had an obsessive drive to push for the top at anything I do. As soon as I started playing tournaments and leagues regularly my casual relationship with disc golf was over so the effect of chasing after a sponsorship made it no more or less "like a job". I don't miss bagging other companies or spending money on plastic.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:30 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 150 Times in 90 Posts

When I was "sponsored" (for about 10 or so years starting in 2004) it was kind of neat to obtain free plastic, hats, shirts, etc. and get paid for giving clinics, but the real neat thing (for me) was to be able to fly out to CA multiple times and interact with the company founder / inventor and learn so much. When the guy's one of the world's most noted hydrodynamics engineers you just listen and learn! I took 4 years of calculus in college and my 'knowledge' ends where his begins! Simply enlightening.
The company has since left the disc golf scene so no more freebies for me
But fear not, I stocked up BIG TIME before then - I'm good!
Old 01-17-2020, 12:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,095 Times in 640 Posts

Because it makes you look awesome to the local scene.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 500 Times in 309 Posts

I prefer to keep my hobbies stress-free and an escape from daily responsibilities. As such, I have no interest in trying to be sponsored in any of my hobbies, disc golf included. I already have a job, kids, mortgage, volunteering commitments, etc...throwing plastic frisbees around is just for fun and I want to keep it that way.

Now all that being said, I'm not very good at this sport so I'm in no danger of having to turn down sponsorships anyway.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-17-2020, 03:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
When I was "sponsored" (for about 10 or so years starting in 2004) it was kind of neat to obtain free plastic, hats, shirts, etc. and get paid for giving clinics, but the real neat thing (for me) was to be able to fly out to CA multiple times and interact with the company founder / inventor and learn so much. When the guy's one of the world's most noted hydrodynamics engineers you just listen and learn! I took 4 years of calculus in college and my 'knowledge' ends where his begins! Simply enlightening.
boxes of Epics in the basement...
Old 01-17-2020, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,335 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Lightening discs?
Old 01-17-2020, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Lightening discs?
Aerobie I believe. Karl was the first person I ever saw make the Epic work its overhand magic.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-17-2020, 08:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,260 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
the team trilogy thing years back was absolutely hilarious and brilliant and still gets me to shake my head

Soooooo many dudes told me they were pro after the Team Trilogy thing dropped.

Niced: (2)

Old 01-17-2020, 09:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 223
Niced 2,181 Times in 1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Soooooo many dudes told me they were pro after the Team Trilogy thing dropped.
bro im sponsored

team trilogy

dave feldburg ****in emailed me

im in

Niced: (2)