Old 01-26-2020, 05:53 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 896 Times in 744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trasf View Post
I don't mind price hike on special stuff, but if all production molds jump to higher price range then buying stacks of molds is gonna suck more. Rip wallet.

Soon you can get dg backpack for same price as one disc which is what I am worried about. And it seems innova discover bp is already priced at 24,90 (€uros).
I agree, if the regular production stuff is getting upcharged simply due to team having a specific pro player then no it is not right. The Paul McBeth discs with the special stamp on them yeah I can see same as touring discs even though the Paul McBeth or Paige Pierce molds are made with enough runs to them to be basically production, I mean they have to pay for the top players they gave big salaries somehow. If it is a mold that is full production run that is not a touring disc or limited run/tournament fundraiser disc then I would be confused as to why a company thinks it can charge more for most of its molds including baseline being the next up Pro/R-Pro or X type plastic cost and the mid-level plastics are the cost of the lower end premium discs without a single explanation as to why the cost went up something is wrong. The Disc company might think just having the specific pro on the team is a good enough reason to raise the price of all the discs the company makes and not give an explanation as to why, if costs in production went up, something like that, or the factory moved location as company is outgrowing its original location.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2020, 09:20 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 3
Niced 173 Times in 87 Posts

I'm in my 70's and have just been playing disc golf for 6 years or so, and disc golf is by far the least expensive sport, activity, that I have ever been involved in. Frankly, I don't much mind paying $18 - $20 for a signature disc by a pro player that I like, and in the case of Paige Pierce, I have never seen a pro player engage with the fans and put in the public relations effort that she does before. I play at my favorite course for free, I watch pro-tournaments on the internet for free, and yes I do buy bargain discs whenever I have the opportunity but I will gladly pay an extra $5 on a disc when it is in support of my favorite pro players.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 68
Niced 159 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Thunder View Post
I am glad they, Discraft did't tell you guys to charge 39.99. Ouch......

Had Discraft went from 10 to 14, I bet you would have pumped the brakes and passed on the purchase. That is exactly what I did.

Discmania is the worst at that. Imagine a dealer cost on tour series and special edition discs at 61% higher dealer cost than stock discs. With MSRP's at $25-30. I go from ordering 30 specials down to 10 specials because of it. And then I get 10 of the worst green colors ever made. That was 2019 in a nut shell LOL
Old 01-26-2020, 10:18 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 136
Niced 2,878 Times in 1,041 Posts

I mean the fact that it was cheap was always a selling point of disc golf, but once it gets popular you can sell it on the fact that so many people play it and it doesn't have to be cheap anymore. Once it doesn't have to be cheap, it won't be. All of the manufacturers will up prices until you get...as high as they can get them. That's how capitalism works, folks.

The bigger disc golf gets, the higher the disc prices will get. Stock up now, kids.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:43 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 289 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw83028 View Post
Discmania is the worst at that. Imagine a dealer cost on tour series and special edition discs at 61% higher dealer cost than stock discs. With MSRP's at $25-30. I go from ordering 30 specials down to 10 specials because of it. And then I get 10 of the worst green colors ever made. That was 2019 in a nut shell LOL
I purchased just 1 special disc from Discmania, a Roaming Thunder 2 CD2. It flies great, has a stamp I really like, but the swirl/color is just god awful.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-26-2020, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,504 Times in 1,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
The bigger disc golf gets, the higher the disc prices will get. Stock up now, kids.
Can you imagine when big money gets involved in the sport? Nike is producing discs for like 3 cents per frisbee in some factory in Asia whose workers are paid next to nothing and then charges $50-$75 bucks a pop. Yeah, grow the sport indeed.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 42
Niced 63 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Thunder View Post
In all fairness, a good rule of thumb is a double on you cost to maintain margin. I understand you all have overhead. I get that, but man, many of you guys are killing us. Trim the margin a bit and sell volume. If not, we as a buying public will let them sit on shelves until the prices make a bit more sense.
For most retailers, the margin is trimmed for stock discs where their goal is volume. For special and limited edition runs, the profit goal is more higher margin over volume. Volume doesn't work when the manufacture has a limited run and you can reorder. Special doesn't work when you flood the market with too many discs.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:24 PM
Par Member

Niced 62 Times in 43 Posts
Default No! No! charge me more please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by perklc View Post
I purchased just 1 special disc from Discmania, a Roaming Thunder 2 CD2. It flies great, has a stamp I really like, but the swirl/color is just god awful.

Ugh. Discmania is the worst when it comes to the swirly S-line discs. I got tired of getting crappy green and gray colors from them so won’t order any more sight unseen. You get much better colors when you can see them in person and hand pick them. I have yet to find a decent CD2 though. Those all seem to be crappy green.

Proof that things other than green do exist.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,359 Times in 961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I mean the fact that it was cheap was always a selling point of disc golf, but once it gets popular you can sell it on the fact that so many people play it and it doesn't have to be cheap anymore. Once it doesn't have to be cheap, it won't be. All of the manufacturers will up prices until you get...as high as they can get them. That's how capitalism works, folks.

When I started in the mid 90's a dx aviar cost $7-$8 retail which is still what they cost today.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 193
Niced 566 Times in 270 Posts